Prediction Future Free Agency Targets [aka the Petracca, Toby Greene & Thomas Green discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

xInfected_Virus

Team Captain
Apr 23, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Richmond and Collingwood.
Whether or not you go back to back again, I reckon your biggest priority should be another gun clearance bull mid with a KPD as your second priority. Having another clearance bull mid allows Dusty to play more forward and also win more clearances by taking advantage of Soldo's tap work. Having a gun clearance bull mid could solidify a chance of a three peat should you go back to back again this year.

A gun clearance bull you should be targeting which come to mind are. Cap space shouldn't be an issue with Rance gone and some other players possibly looking elsewhere.

1. Josh Dunkley: One of the best clearance players at the Dogs and can provide more bull to your midfield. Could trade a first round pick and Nank since they need a ruck for Dunkley and a second or third round pick which you can use for another young VIC KPD in the draft. I don't think he's on huge money at the Dogs, he'd most likely be on modest money so it would allow you to resign youngsters more easily and even get another gun KPD on modest money. I reckon he'd be the best choice for you to cement that three peat.

2. Paddy Cripps: Obviously an absolute gun and one of the top players in the league, there's a chance he could leave the Blues for more success if they don't improve this year but would cost the mansion to get him and would take up a lot of cap space leaving you with little room to sign youngsters and massively reduce the chance of getting another KPD from another team. Imagine him and Dusty together.

3. Marcus Bontempelli: Same as above. I doubt he'd leave the Dogs though.

There might be other gun clearance bull mids out there but those two come to mind.

KPDs you could also get depending if you got any of the players mentioned above.

If you got Cripps or Bont or if Noah Balta becomes a gun KPD playing alongside Grimes, Astbury and Broad then don't bother getting any of those guys mentioned below.

3. Darcy Moore: One of the best KPDs in the league. Getting him would mean you won't be able to get Cripps and reduces the chace you acn get Dunkley.

4. Harris Andrews: Another gun KPD in the league. Would have to trade the house for him with the Lions and he's from QLD too so the home factor would have to be a problem and getting Cripps or Dunkley would be off the table.

5. Alex Pearce: Could've been AA last year if it weren't for injuries last year. Knowing how Peter Bell operates, you may have to pay the house for him. I don't think you have anyone to trade to Freo since they have plenty of talls. I don't think he's on huge money at the Dockers thanks to injuries but there's a chance you could get him and Dunkley without breaching cap space and allowing you to resign youngsters.

6. Sam Taylor: Young and climbing to be the best KPD in the game, I'm sure the Giants will give you a fair deal for him with Nank since Jacobs is cooked having been smashed by Goldstein (pre injury Jacobs used to compete or even beat Goldstein back then). If you do get Dunkley then you could get him as well.

7. Tom Clurey: Underrated gun KPD in the league, just signed a four year deal that ends in 2023 and I don't think he's leaving Port since they're thin on KPDs with Dougal Howard gone to the Saints. I'd say he's a mixture of Grimes and Astbury.

8. Daniel Talia: Another underrated gun KPD in the league. He'll be important for the Crows rebuild so I don't think he'll leave. Probably a slight upgrade on Astbury.

So getting any of those players will mean Nank, Markov, possibly CCJ and other fringe players may have to look elsewhere to save cap space and for more opportunities.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Whether or not you go back to back again, I reckon your biggest priority should be another gun clearance bull mid with a KPD as your second priority. Having another clearance bull mid allows Dusty to play more forward and also win more clearances by taking advantage of Soldo's tap work. Having a gun clearance bull mid could solidify a chance of a three peat should you go back to back again this year.

A gun clearance bull you should be targeting which come to mind are. Cap space shouldn't be an issue with Rance gone and some other players possibly looking elsewhere.

1. Josh Dunkley: One of the best clearance players at the Dogs and can provide more bull to your midfield. Could trade a first round pick and Nank since they need a ruck for Dunkley and a second or third round pick which you can use for another young VIC KPD in the draft. I don't think he's on huge money at the Dogs, he'd most likely be on modest money so it would allow you to resign youngsters more easily and even get another gun KPD on modest money. I reckon he'd be the best choice for you to cement that three peat.

2. Paddy Cripps: Obviously an absolute gun and one of the top players in the league, there's a chance he could leave the Blues for more success if they don't improve this year but would cost the mansion to get him and would take up a lot of cap space leaving you with little room to sign youngsters and massively reduce the chance of getting another KPD from another team. Imagine him and Dusty together.

3. Marcus Bontempelli: Same as above. I doubt he'd leave the Dogs though.

There might be other gun clearance bull mids out there but those two come to mind.

KPDs you could also get depending if you got any of the players mentioned above.

If you got Cripps or Bont or if Noah Balta becomes a gun KPD playing alongside Grimes, Astbury and Broad then don't bother getting any of those guys mentioned below.

3. Darcy Moore: One of the best KPDs in the league. Getting him would mean you won't be able to get Cripps and reduces the chace you acn get Dunkley.

4. Harris Andrews: Another gun KPD in the league. Would have to trade the house for him with the Lions and he's from QLD too so the home factor would have to be a problem and getting Cripps or Dunkley would be off the table.

5. Alex Pearce: Could've been AA last year if it weren't for injuries last year. Knowing how Peter Bell operates, you may have to pay the house for him. I don't think you have anyone to trade to Freo since they have plenty of talls. I don't think he's on huge money at the Dockers thanks to injuries but there's a chance you could get him and Dunkley without breaching cap space and allowing you to resign youngsters.

6. Sam Taylor: Young and climbing to be the best KPD in the game, I'm sure the Giants will give you a fair deal for him with Nank since Jacobs is cooked having been smashed by Goldstein (pre injury Jacobs used to compete or even beat Goldstein back then). If you do get Dunkley then you could get him as well.

7. Tom Clurey: Underrated gun KPD in the league, just signed a four year deal that ends in 2023 and I don't think he's leaving Port since they're thin on KPDs with Dougal Howard gone to the Saints. I'd say he's a mixture of Grimes and Astbury.

8. Daniel Talia: Another underrated gun KPD in the league. He'll be important for the Crows rebuild so I don't think he'll leave. Probably a slight upgrade on Astbury.

So getting any of those players will mean Nank, Markov, possibly CCJ and other fringe players may have to look elsewhere to save cap space and for more opportunities.
Long list.
No chance of us getting Cripps.If anything he'd head home to WA.
Dunkley I'd love but didn't he just resign last year.Seems a loyal lad.
Of the Kp's.Taylor appeals but like Andrews be very hard too get from either clubs.
Moore to injury phrone .
Like Cripps no chance with Bont.
Instead of Talia I'd chase Dodee.

xInfected_Virus

Team Captain
Apr 23, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Richmond and Collingwood.
Long list.
No chance of us getting Cripps.If anything he'd head home to WA.
Dunkley I'd love but didn't he just resign last year.Seems a loyal lad.
Of the Kp's.Taylor appeals but like Andrews be very hard too get from either clubs.
Moore to injury phrone .
Like Cripps no chance with Bont.
Instead of Talia I'd chase Dodee.
Moore might be injury prone but Collingwood's training surface is said to be hard and cannot be good for the body and they've been known to mismanage their players injuries. Maybe you have a better training surface, better fitness staff and better management so he can play every match throughout the season. Once you had injuries early last year, you got your best players back for the second half of the season and most of them didn't get injured again and it helped you win another flag. That would really drive Eddie and the Pies fans insane if you can get to Moore play every match of the season instead of getting injured.

Dunkley could be more gettable than you think. Despite signing a contract last year, I'm not surprised if he wants to leave if the Bulldogs finish around the bottom, just offer him good money and feature him as the main clearance bull mid who constantly takes advantage of Soldo's tap work in a successful club.

There's a small chance that you could get Paddy Cripps if he really wants to win a flag and feels like he cannot do so at the Blues. I would personally love Paddy Cripps in our midfield but there's no way we can afford him. If he does go to WA, he'd be at Fremantle at the end of 2021 as a restricted free agent especially if Mundy retires and they offload non WA players to other teams preferably the Blues to accommodate cap space. They'd be willing to give up a lot of trade currency should the Blues match an offer to bring him home like we did with Tim Kelly who wasn't a free agent at that time.

The same could be said with Bont in leaving the Dogs to the Tigers for flag success if they don't improve this season, but he's from VIC and will NOT leave the Dogs anytime soon let alone going to WA.

I don't see Andrews leaving the Lions anytime soon but you'd have a better chance at Taylor despite him being hard to get.

Doedee's good but a bit undersized and I prefer Balta as your KPD more despite needing more to learn in that position.

Miraculously getting Bont or Cripps or more realistically Dunkley will make your team even more unstoppable especially if Balta becomes a gun KPD to help quell taller forward lines with gun or decent KPFs that have caused you some problems in the past. If it all falls into place, then you can easily 4 or even 5 peat.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I could understand Nank leaving for opportunity but from a list balance perspective we should retain him.
Unless CJ makes some giant strides this year and becomes second choice behind Soldo, we still need 2 AFL standard ruckman

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Moore might be injury prone but Collingwood's training surface is said to be hard and cannot be good for the body and they've been known to mismanage their players injuries. Maybe you have a better training surface, better fitness staff and better management so he can play every match throughout the season. Once you had injuries early last year, you got your best players back for the second half of the season and most of them didn't get injured again and it helped you win another flag. That would really drive Eddie and the Pies fans insane if you can get to Moore play every match of the season instead of getting injured.
Would rather chase a cheaper KPD and target a Gun mid.

Dunkley could be more gettable than you think. Despite signing a contract last year, I'm not surprised if he wants to leave if the Bulldogs finish around the bottom, just offer him good money and feature him as the main clearance bull mid who constantly takes advantage of Soldo's tap work in a successful club.
Not sure he wants to leave.Same applies to Bont.Both have tasted a flag,So its not as if they're chasing their 1st.Sure they want more but it would be more satisfying if they do it for the one club.
There's a small chance that you could get Paddy Cripps if he really wants to win a flag and feels like he cannot do so at the Blues. I would personally love Paddy Cripps in our midfield but there's no way we can afford him. If he does go to WA, he'd be at Fremantle at the end of 2021 as a restricted free agent especially if Mundy retires and they offload non WA players to other teams preferably the Blues to accommodate cap space. They'd be willing to give up a lot of trade currency should the Blues match an offer to bring him home like we did with Tim Kelly who wasn't a free agent at that time.
Every club in their right mind will chase Cripps.
If he wants success he'll have to forgo a heap of money to achieve it.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

The same could be said with Bont in leaving the Dogs to the Tigers for flag success if they don't improve this season, but he's from VIC and will NOT leave the Dogs anytime soon let alone going to WA.

I don't see Andrews leaving the Lions anytime soon but you'd have a better chance at Taylor despite him being hard to get.

Doedee's good but a bit undersized and I prefer Balta as your KPD more despite needing more to learn in that position.

Miraculously getting Bont or Cripps or more realistically Dunkley will make your team even more unstoppable especially if Balta becomes a gun KPD to help quell taller forward lines with gun or decent KPFs that have caused you some problems in the past. If it all falls into place, then you can easily 4 or even 5 peat.

RCD is going to be a monster

Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

To your point on Moore, we have taken on two very injury prone players (Prestia and Lynch) and we have managed to get them up and going.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

Would rather chase a cheaper KPD and target a Gun mid.

Not sure he wants to leave.Same applies to Bont.Both have tasted a flag,So its not as if they're chasing their 1st.Sure they want more but it would be more satisfying if they do it for the one club.

Every club in their right mind will chase Cripps.
If he wants success he'll have to forgo a heap of money to achieve it.
agreed on chasing another gun mid as a priority.
A. Allows Dusty to spend more time forward which will increase his longevity
B. Our other 2 gun inside mids- Cotch and Prestia aren’t getting any younger
C. You can’t bank on RCD, Ross, Dow becoming top liners, particularly right now when we are in our premiership window .

I think we could get a kpd reasonably cheaply if Astbury was to hang up the boots in the next 2 years. We may already have that player but if not you really just need a big body that can come in and play the role around Grimes Broady and Vlaus

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
If it all falls into place, then you can easily 4 or even 5 peat.
No team has ever won 5 in a row, and the only team to win 4 in a row had no salary cap, organised crime on its side and the umpires in its pocket. And even then it needed the challenge system. If we win 4 on the trot it will be a bloody miracle.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Sadly I think Nank will be traded.
We'd get a few clubs interested which will help.
Gws/Ess/Carl/Geel/Syd(ironic)/Dogs.
I also can see this happening with the depth we now have in the Rucking dept unfortunately Nank looks to be the player we can afford to let go and cash in.
GWS / Carlton would be the perfect team for Nank with Jacobs turning 33 next year and Mummy gone Nank+1st rounder for
Caldwell / Green i would do in a hearbeat

No Chance Bont / Cripps / Fyfe leave their teams , Both are captain and ingrained in the culture of their clubs
Whilst i would love to have them i prefer they stay 1 club players (being Captain) i just dont like captains jumping ship unless they move in a situation like Hodge did.

We have a few mids that are extremely promising in Ross / RCD / Dow and 4-5 other kids that could become regulars in 2 years

Hearing alot of good things about thomson Dow maybe we could look at his brother from Carlton as it looks like he has stalled there and might be woth having a look

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
C. You can’t bank on RCD, Ross, Dow becoming top liners, particularly right now when we are in our premiership window .

I think we could get a kpd reasonably cheaply if Astbury was to hang up the boots in the next 2 years. We may already have that player but if not you really just need a big body that can come in and play the role around Grimes Broady and Vlaus
Balta, and at a pinch Chol, Nank this year. And Biggy down the track. I'll have a look at the Hawks t'mow and see how McEvoy goes

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
To your point on Moore, we have taken on two very injury prone players (Prestia and Lynch) and we have managed to get them up and going.
Thats true and its worked out for us in the best way possible.Do we wanna try our luck again?

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

Think we should persist with Balta & Garth.
I'd also like to turn RCD into the next Grimes.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I also can see this happening with the depth we now have in the Rucking dept unfortunately Nank looks to be the player we can afford to let go and cash in.
GWS / Carlton would be the perfect team for Nank with Jacobs turning 33 next year and Mummy gone Nank+1st rounder for
Caldwell / Green i would do in a hearbeat

No Chance Bont / Cripps / Fyfe leave their teams , Both are captain and ingrained in the culture of their clubs
Whilst i would love to have them i prefer they stay 1 club players (being Captain) i just dont like captains jumping ship unless they move in a situation like Hodge did.

We have a few mids that are extremely promising in Ross / RCD / Dow and 4-5 other kids that could become regulars in 2 years

Hearing alot of good things about thomson Dow maybe we could look at his brother from Carlton as it looks like he has stalled there and might be woth having a look
Nank & our 1st for Caldwell or Green?
WTF.gif
What you smokin man?

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
You clearly dont value Green or Caldwell who were both top 10/11 picks in their drafts and top end talent

You wouldn't have to ask me twice to do that deal
What i do know is.
Nank is a 2 time Premiership ruckman who suits GWS down to the ground.
They should give us a 1st and either kid.

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond

He's the insider I want most and our biggest need to continue being successful IMO.

You're right, the Dogs' needs/surplus matches up pretty sweetly with out needs/surplus. Enough to get me excited in advance.

No team has ever won 5 in a row, and the only team to win 4 in a row had no salary cap, organised crime on its side and the umpires in its pocket. And even then it needed the challenge system. If we win 4 on the trot it will be a bloody miracle.

But still not as big a miracle as the '17 season... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back