List Mgmt. Future Midfield Thread

Which of our young mids has the highest ceiling?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d be interested in adding a poll to this thread: who is going to be our best mid of the 2220s:
Cunners
LDU
Thomas
Powell
Philips
Scott
Simpkin
Stevo
Lazarro
…I honestly have no idea.

I’d be interested in adding a poll to this thread: who is going to be our best mid of the 2220s:
Cunners
LDU
Thomas
Powell
Philips
Scott
Simpkin
Stevo
Lazarro
…I honestly have no idea.
I voted TT just ahead of LDU due to his ability to kick goals but you could easily choose any of them depending on what you value because they all bring something different. Going to be a joy to watch.

Just for a moment imagine we did finish last, which gave us enough hand with the PSD No1 threat to get Cerra for next years first - and Kelly that looks more and more likely

• Cunners
  • LDU
  • Thomas
  • Stevo
  • Phillips
  • Powell
  • Simpkin
  • Anderson
  • Horne
  • Kelly
  • Cerra
With wingers in the midfield mix thats 2 full rotations of pure quality with 1 injured at any point in time. Insane and unlikely, but possible. It'll be take your pick at all the Key Forwards rushing to get into the blue n white

Just for a moment imagine we did finish last, which gave us enough hand with the PSD No1 threat to get Cerra for next years first - and Kelly that looks more and more likely

• Cunners
  • LDU
  • Thomas
  • Stevo
  • Phillips
  • Powell
  • Simpkin
  • Anderson
  • Horne
  • Kelly
  • Cerra
With wingers in the midfield mix thats 2 full rotations of pure quality with 1 injured at any point in time. Insane and unlikely, but possible. It'll be take your pick at all the Key Forwards rushing to get into the blue n white

Assuming by 2023 all the young players develop to their potential, how would this midfield rate against the fab four Lion's midfield, Judd Eagles, Gablett Cats, and any other great midfield of the modern era?

Assuming by 2023 all the young players develop to their potential, how would this midfield rate against the fab four Lion's midfield, Judd Eagles, Gablett Cats, and any other great midfield of the modern era?
Completely depends on whether any of them are as good as peak Judd/Gablett - Which is a very big ask to be fair.

I reckon we’re building our very own Magnificent Seven - Thomas, LDU, Powell, Phillips, Simpkin, Sleevo & Cunners.

But that’s before this year’s draft and any potential trades or free agents. Don’t know WTF to call them if we get a couple more. The Noble Nine?

I reckon we’re building our very own Magnificent Seven - Thomas, LDU, Powell, Phillips, Simpkin, Sleevo & Cunners.

But that’s before this year’s draft and any potential trades or free agents. Don’t know WTF to call them if we get a couple more. The Noble Nine?
I look forward to seeing our Dirty Dozen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

forgot about lazzaro?

If you take the Lions as an example their Fab 4 were so good and demanded so much opposition attention that their second-tier looked like absolute A graders. Guys like Ashcroft, Power, Hart, Notting, and Headland were all very good players but the move of Headland to Freo showed was not really up to being the main man in the midfield.

forgot about lazzaro?
I like Lazzaro, but not sure that he’ll reach the same heights as the others.

I think TT and LDU are potential top 10 players in the comp. Much more water to go under the bridge before we really know, but Powell and Phillips could be too.

I reckon Simpkin will be top 20, and by f*** we will be good if we have a top 20 player in the comp who is our 5th best midfielder.

But, as 7577969923 mentioned above, having guns take the opposition players’ attention allows the second tier to look like A-graders and Lazzaro could well be one of them.

I look forward to seeing our Dirty Dozen.

Goldy could show you his "dirty dozen" but it's NSFW.

5ebafe455ebf9b5a0d89be378ed628d565a15981

• Cunners
  • LDU
  • Thomas
  • Stevo
  • Phillips
  • Powell
  • Simpkin
  • Anderson
  • Horne
  • Kelly
  • Cerra

The problem is, as GWS found out, you can't just keep stacking the side with midfielders without losing some of them eventually.

I think as we evolve the side, we need to ensure we fill the core spots with the highest quality players, there will be some tough calls that will need to be made.

Also, this list is rough on Scott.

The problem is, as GWS found out, you can't just keep stacking the side with midfielders without losing some of them eventually.

I think as we evolve the side, we need to ensure we fill the core spots with the highest quality players, there will be some tough calls that will need to be made.

Agreed, 'if' we get Horne and Kelly we certainly dont need Cerra so add in Scott for him. Cunners will probably play more forward minutes each year until retirement and Anderson will likely be depth unless his skills pick up or can play another position. Theres always injuries as well so it doesnt look nearly as crowded then. It might be those in form get 60% in the middle and those regaining form 40%. We dont want to be reliant on a player or two being in form and injury free to be a contender. Bat deep, share the load and go hard while its your turn.

Noble is big on adding strings to players bow. If you want to play midfield in his side, you need to be able to also play multiple positions.

Also midfield depth is critical for a premiership contender.

Agreed, 'if' we get Horne and Kelly we certainly dont need Cerra so add in Scott for him. Cunners will probably play more forward minutes each year until retirement and Anderson will likely be depth unless his skills pick up or can play another position. Theres always injuries as well so it doesnt look nearly as crowded then. It might be those in form get 60% in the middle and those regaining form 40%. We dont want to be reliant on a player or two being in form and injury free to be a contender. Bat deep, share the load and go hard while its your turn.

I think the pressure will come after Cunners retires, I would be surprised if he goes on for longer than two years, I think like Simpson he would pull up the stumps early if he felt the club had the kids that were ready to take over.

I don't think Kelly is an issue, we do not really have any talented young kids that he would push out of a spot, the toolset required for the wing is different to core midfield roles, as we saw from Higgins last year and Stephenson this year, it can be a hard role to play well if you are not naturally suited for it.

Don't get me wrong, I would be over the moon if we got Cerra, I just do not see it happening unless the s**t hits the fan and he ends up in the PSD.

My guess is that after Horne (assuming we end up last), we will probably look longer term. Goldy is 33, Tarrant 32, Hall 30, Ziebell 30, Cunnington 30, Campbell will turn 30 while Atley, Polec and Walker turn 29 towards the end of the year. We do not have an old list, but we have some important players to replace. Unless we are going to rely on trade/free agency, some of these roles will require a few years of development, took McKay 3 years to really find his feet.

I think the pressure will come after Cunners retires, I would be surprised if he goes on for longer than two years, I think like Simpson he would pull up the stumps early if he felt the club had the kids that were ready to take over.

I don't think Kelly is an issue, we do not really have any talented young kids that he would push out of a spot, the toolset required for the wing is different to core midfield roles, as we saw from Higgins last year and Stephenson this year, it can be a hard role to play well if you are not naturally suited for it.

Don't get me wrong, I would be over the moon if we got Cerra, I just do not see it happening unless the sh*t hits the fan and he ends up in the PSD.

My guess is that after Horne (assuming we end up last), we will probably look longer term. Goldy is 33, Tarrant 32, Hall 30, Ziebell 30, Cunnington 30, Campbell will turn 30 while Atley, Polec and Walker turn 29 towards the end of the year. We do not have an old list, but we have some important players to replace. Unless we are going to rely on trade/free agency, some of these roles will require a few years of development, took McKay 3 years to really find his feet.
Agree RE cunners retiring.
He just offers so much to the midfield that isn't covered when he's absent on field.
Would be good to draft/trade for a tom green type who plays a similar role, but regardless if it happens or not the whole midfield dynamic will change in the next few years.
Really glad the clubs taken the initative and started rotating cunners through the forward line so the mids can work themselves out.

There is no way we’re into Cerra, not sure why it’s being mentioned. We will gain another mid with our first this year, which will stack our future midfield even more. Why give up good currency for another mid in Cerra, when there are other pressing needs? I know it’s a shiny new toy, but list wise it makes no sense.
If we trade for someone it will be to fill a hole like a KPD or a small forward for example. Otherwise we will keep our picks, hopefully enhance our draft hand more and go to the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

LDU & Jy were immense today, TT clearly targeted and I thought it affected his disposal but he didn't shy away from the contest at all which was super impressive.

Oh, and the best draft prospect in the country who had 22 and kicked 3 against men today is joining them next year.

Back