List Mgmt. Future Midfield Thread

Which of our young mids has the highest ceiling?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Overall, it was a good season for him. I realise he is young but over the next few years I think he could be a much better player if he can just be more consistent: He had some BOG performances once every 3-5 matches where if he wasn't "on", he would mostly drift in and out of games. If he can more consistently show not only the weapons he has, but do the team stuff then we will have a wonderful player playing in the midfield.

I did love Stevo's 0.9 goals a game and Tarryn's 1.1 goals a game. These two developing along side one another is going to be huge.

Stepho looked tentative after his injury. Hopefully a pre=season and some big hits might correct this.

Thankfully B Scott is out of the equation now. Would have turned this current potentially outstanding midfield group from maybe joining the great midfield groups of recent times (Lions, Cats, Eagles, Hawks) to a bunch of defensively minded back flankers on the scrap heap by their mid 20’s.
Horne-Francis judging by those highlights looks like he knows what he’s going to do with the ball before he even gets it, a one step ahead of the play midfielder.

How do we fit them all in you ask? See below:

HB - Goater - ??? - ???
C - Powell - Simpkin - Thomas
FOL - ??? - Davies-Uniacke - Phillips
HF - Horne-Francis - ??? - Stephenson
You also have a couple of bench spots for rotations. So shift Sleevo to the wing and start Powell (who is more of an inside type) on the pine.

How do we fit them all in you ask? See below:

HB - Goater - ??? - ???
C - Powell - Simpkin - Thomas
FOL - ??? - Davies-Uniacke - Phillips
HF - Horne-Francis - ??? - Stephenson

NOW l have a reason to get to 70 years old!! :grinning:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: McDonald McKay Turner
HB: Lazzaro Corr Ziebell
C: Stephenson Powell Anderson
HF: Horne-Francis Coleman-Jones Thomas
F: Zurhaar Larkey Ford

R:Goldstein/Xerri Simpkin Davies Uniacke

I: Greenwood Phillips Hall Scott

I quite like the speed and defensive pressure from this list. Players who love a tackle include: Thomas, Anderson, HF, Zurhaar, Greenwood, Phillips, McDonald, Turner, Ford.

With the commitment to the midfield at the draft, we will be working on bringing in a CHB free agent in 2022 or will be going down the 2005-2006 West Coast route where you simply cane sides in the middle so much so that the possible leakage in defence is less than the goals you kick.

Last edited:
B: McDonald McKay Turner
HB: Lazzaro Corr Ziebell
C: Stephenson Powell Anderson
HF: Horne-Francis Coleman-Jones Thomas
F: Zurhaar Larkey Ford

R:Goldstein/Xerri Simpkin Davies Uniacke

I: Greenwood Phillips Hall Scott

I quite like the speed and defensive pressure from this list. Players who love a tackle include: Thomas, Anderson, HF, Zurhaar, Greenwood, Phillips, McDonald, Turner, Ford.

With the commitment to the midfield at the draft, we will be working on bringing in a CHB free agent in 2022 or will be going down the 2005-2006 West Coast route where you simply cane sides in the middle so much so that the possible leakage in defence is less than the goals you kick.
That's a very good team.

Hasn't been enough focus on tackling and hardness in these sides lately imo. Also ... Xerri loves smashing opposition players. Dunno about CCJ but I've heard he doesn't mind it either.

271945584_203330168634140_161835152242883592_n.jpg

Jy, LDU, Thomas, Horne-Francis, Powell, Phillips.

Can someone tell me if there's a comparable young midfield in the AFL at the moment, or who the last team was that had a young midfield come through like this?
Freo? Melbourne (though a bit more developed)?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Freo is probably the closest. Would have been closer had they not lost Cerra.

Erasmus is probably like for like, but they have stepped back in the cycle a little bit.

I dunno if it's just me, but their midfield doesn't really strike fear into me tbh.

Brayshaw is a jet, but he's a workhorse, Serong is a bit the same. They are in the Simpkin bracket for mine, but Brayshaw is better defensively than Jy.

They don't have a Thomas, JHF or even Stephenson type through there. We are basically unique in that regard with that amount of potential scoring power from midfield.

What they do have is an elite young ruckman.

Back