List Mgmt. Future NGA's or Father Sons

Remove this Banner Ad

You should read his book

I went and bought his book and even got it signed, got a chapter in and thought that I had better things to do with a few hours. Sports biographies are some of the worst books ever produced.

I went and bought his book and even got it signed, got a chapter in and thought that I had better things to do with a few hours. Sports biographies are some of the worst books ever produced.
You're selling Diesel Willams short, Gringo. It was a ripper..

Round 1 1984, I played my AFL debut. We won but more importantly, I got 38 disposals and 3 Brownlow votes

Round 2 1984 I got 24 disposals. I got no votes. The 3 vote getters all had 20 or less. The umpires are cheats. We did win the game.

Round 3 1984 I got 34 disposals. I got 2 votes. John Mossop got 14 less than me. The umpires are cheats. We did win the game.

Rd 10 1993 I got 44 disposals and no votes. The top 3 had 19, 14 and 11. I later told the world the umpires are cheats. We did win the game

GF 1995 I got 31 disposals and kicked 5 goals. I won the Norm Smith. That's because the cheating umpires don't vote for it. We did win the game

Round 16 1997. I had 28 disposals. Pushed an umpire, got suspended but I retired. Still doesn't make up for my lost brownlow. The umpires are cheats. Didn't care about the result.....

Nah you're right they are crap.. I read this one all the way through like watching a car crash just to see if there would be any sentence without 'I' in it. It was a thing of beauty to hardly mention team for a bloke that played a team game 🤣

Best one out of the few I've ever picked up was Craig Johnston's. Way more about his life off the park than what happened on it and he had a quite interesting life experience.

If you needed yet another reason to skip resourcing NGA, Tassie will be taking the best kids in four years time, maybe earlier with pre-selections. Learn the lessons from the past.
Possibly not, we resource our NGA, develop kids and show them all the resources and reasons that make Moorabbin the place to be. Make us seem a nice destination to come to after their initial contract expires. Think about the way Gold Coast and GWS have haemorrhaged kids - experience with our NGA gives an inside track if they want to leave.

Possibly not, we resource our NGA, develop kids and show them all the resources and reasons that make Moorabbin the place to be. Make us seem a nice destination to come to after their initial contract expires. Think about the way Gold Coast and GWS have haemorrhaged kids - experience with our NGA gives an inside track if they want to leave.

It's a nice thought which might add some worth to it. But in reality, has this actually happened before? One of our NGAs coming back to us after being drafted elsewhere?

You should read his book

I get that he was born in Tassie, but he left when he was young. Gold Coast did all the heavy lifting and has the sporting merit for his development. It would make a lot more sense for his kids to go there than Tassie. But I've given up on the AFL being fair long ago.

It's a nice thought which might add some worth to it. But in reality, has this actually happened before? One of our NGAs coming back to us after being drafted elsewhere?

I get that he was born in Tassie, but he left when he was young. Gold Coast did all the heavy lifting and has the sporting merit for his development. It would make a lot more sense for his kids to go there than Tassie. But I've given up on the AFL being fair long ago.
We are assuming they come back to aus

It’s probably a waste of time developing NGA now with the top 40 pick matching. Hopefully the Saints will get one or two decent father/son selections. The club is very lucky to get Owens and Winghader in the year they did.
Nar l don't think its so negative. Windy was p47 so eligible any year, Gus and Jack Peris slipped through for nuffin.
It's good the high picks are ineligible cos it was ruining the draft.

Hate to say it but we were always somehow going to miss out on the reiwoldt boys if they were any good . F/S we are cursed . Plus they currently live in the US. And now this freaky out of the blue tassie F/S thing from no where just as they will be turning 18?
Just proves we are cursed in this area. Maybe Coll can donate one of the magpies lads hey.

Not a huge amount of precedent, we've only had two NGA's go to other clubs, both of whom went to Victoria, one of them we opted against bid matching which doesn't suggest interest, the other only happened last year.

Such a move would align with and even bolster our geographical recruitment strategy.

Hate to say it but we were always somehow going to miss out on the reiwoldt boys if they were any good . F/S we are cursed . Plus they currently live in the US. And now this freaky out of the blue tassie F/S thing from no where just as they will be turning 18?
Just proves we are cursed in this area. Maybe Coll can donate one of the magpies lads hey.
Nothing has happened yet and half the posters on here will be dead by the time the boys are old enough for the draft anyway 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're selling Diesel Willams short, Gringo. It was a ripper..

Round 1 1984, I played my AFL debut. We won but more importantly, I got 38 disposals and 3 Brownlow votes

Round 2 1984 I got 24 disposals. I got no votes. The 3 vote getters all had 20 or less. The umpires are cheats. We did win the game.

Round 3 1984 I got 34 disposals. I got 2 votes. John Mossop got 14 less than me. The umpires are cheats. We did win the game.

Rd 10 1993 I got 44 disposals and no votes. The top 3 had 19, 14 and 11. I later told the world the umpires are cheats. We did win the game

GF 1995 I got 31 disposals and kicked 5 goals. I won the Norm Smith. That's because the cheating umpires don't vote for it. We did win the game

Round 16 1997. I had 28 disposals. Pushed an umpire, got suspended but I retired. Still doesn't make up for my lost brownlow. The umpires are cheats. Didn't care about the result.....

Nah you're right they are crap.. I read this one all the way through like watching a car crash just to see if there would be any sentence without 'I' in it. It was a thing of beauty to hardly mention team for a bloke that played a team game

Best one out of the few I've ever picked up was Craig Johnston's. Way more about his life off the park than what happened on it and he had a quite interesting life experience.
Did he mention his experience with Jacko in a penthouse suite??

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

A few assumptions being made re: F/S and Riewoldt's kids....in my opinion, the biggest is that a son can nominate his club (if Dad played at 2). Are we assuming they will select Tasmania? Based on what exactly?
No they don’t go straight to tassy. They still get to nominate who they want to go to

That's what I was getting at. They get to choose. Why on earth would they choose Tassy?

In any case, we're also assuming they, 1) Play and 2) Are actually good.

Long time to pass before we get there.
Moment please.
We have a third possibility.
They could follow in their mother’s footsteps and become cheerleaders.

So basically they cant get made to play for tassie and everyone is crying and jumping up and down over nothing.?

Do they play footy now?
Prob not being over in the US
Also, we don’t know yet if they will be AFL quality players. Do they even play footy currently?. The kids themselves have never lived in Tasmania? There might not be a strong bond just because a parent was born there.

A few assumptions being made re: F/S and Riewoldt's kids....in my opinion, the biggest is that a son can nominate his club (if Dad played at 2). Are we assuming they will select Tasmania? Based on what exactly?
Probably won't matter. I heard that the father's would have to have been drafted from Tasmania to be eligible. Nick was drafted from Qld, therefore Tas won't have any hold over them.
Sorry if it doesn't got the doom and gloom narrative. Font worry, I'm sure they'll change the rules so Tassie end up with the three greatest players of all time.
Woe is us, poor us, boo hoo😭

Remove this Banner Ad

Back