Prediction Future of Josh has gone to the Dogs.

Where's Schack at in 2018?

• Brisbane

Votes: 173 42.3%
  • Other

Votes: 141 34.5%
  • Does anybody even care anymore?

Votes: 95 23.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't have a list Manager at the minute since Schwab moved on so not likely to be any news in the immediate future!

We don't have a list Manager at the minute since Schwab moved on so not likely to be any news in the immediate future!

I'm sure Swann, Noble and the rest of the team are more than capable.

didn't Craig Lambert's official title go something like "player retention and welfare manager"? his replacement Andrew Crowell has the new title of head of "personal well-being and excellence department", i wonder if he is the new head of player retention?

It would be pretty devastating for our list if Schache doesn't re-sign.
I think the club will have a signature by round 10. He will want to be out there and playing some good footy to up his value, before re-committing. And he will be well compenstated. The club will not let him go.

The progress of a new-look Brisbane this year will largely depend on the returns of three experienced midfielders from other clubs following wretched injury-ruined seasons in 2016.

With new coach Chris Fagan and new football boss David Noble in charge of a Lions resurgence after just three wins last year, the availability of Collingwood and Brisbane best-and-fairest winner Dayne Beams, former Geelong gun Allen Christensen and ex-Blues utility Tom Bell will be pivotal to any improvement.

The trio become even more important without Pearce Hanley’s run-and-carry game, as he was traded down the highway to Gold Coast last October. Beams, Christensen and Bell missed a combined 39 games last year with a variety of injuries, but all are on target to play in round one after gaining valuable match practice in the pre-season series.

Brisbane chief executive Greg Swann told The Weekend Australian all three players were in full training in preparation for the season and were “crucial” to the short-term on-field lift of the Lions.

“Beams is fine,” Swann said. “He’s on a managed program with several days off a week but he’s in the best shape he’s ever been since coming here from Collingwood. He’s really looking good.

“Allen Christensen too is in great nick. He had a plate and pins taken out of his shoulder last week and he’s ready to go. You’ll notice his physical condition when you see him. “Bell is another who will get valuable game time in the pre-season after surgery, so we’re hoping for a big second season from him.”

Beams, a strong chance to be upgraded from vice-captain to the Lions’ new skipper, played only two games last year after missing the final five games of 2015 in his first year for his second club.

The high-possession winner had knee tendon surgery in May last year after a serious shoulder problem prematurely ended his 2015 season. He still managed to be the club’s joint best-and-fairest winner two years ago despite playing just 16 of a possible 22 games.

He had eight 30-plus possession games in his debut season for the Lions, including a personal-best season performance of 38 touches and 10 marks against St Kilda. Christensen, who is two games shy of his 100-game milestone, missed the second half of the season after a fractured right collarbone against Carlton, which required surgery. The 2011 Geelong premiership player overcame delicate back surgery in 2014 to play all 22 of the Lions’ matches the following year after having requested a trade north.

Bell had knee surgery last June to repair a medial meniscus tear after just 14 games in his debut season at the Gabba. He came back to play in Brisbane’s final two games after a two-month absence. He played 51 games for the Blues in his first four seasons at the elite level.

The Lions are hoping to recontract key forward Josh Schache before the end of the month, with talks between the club and the player’s Melbourne-based management set to resume in Brisbane next week.

The overall No 2 pick in the 2015 national draft made an instant impact in his debut season last year with 16 goals in his first 17 games despite still being in the development phase of his career.

The Victorian’s initial contract expires at the end of this year. Brisbane were so impressed with Schache that they were reported to have offered him a five-year contract before he had played a senior game.

The Lions have also been impressed with their first pick in last November’s national draft, North Ballarat teenager Hugh McCluggage. The slick midfielder has not put a foot wrong in his first preparation at the elite level and has a mortgage on a round-one debut against Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium on March 25.

The Lions will play for the first time under Fagan when they tackle the Suns in the first week of the JLT Community series on February 19. They then play the Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium on March 2 before winding up their pre-season against the Crows on March 11.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does 'has a mortgage on a round-one debut' mean?

I know it means he's likely to play but you can't just make up phrases like that.

What does 'has a mortgage on a round-one debut' mean?

I know it means he's likely to play but you can't just make up phrases like that.
Is a round 1 debut an appreciating asset, if not I wouldn't borrow against it.

Is a round 1 debut an appreciating asset, if not I wouldn't borrow against it.

For half of the teams it appreciates - for the other half it depreciates ... and for some of the former despite the win they play a lot worse (or have a bad injury) the season no longer seems to be quite as rosy as it did before.

I think, for us, round one will give us our first glimpse into what might be a new property in a desirable neighbourhood (let's hope!)

(just realised you said round one debut not just round one ... but didn't want to waste all the typing :$)

I read spanking buns
I'm free!
images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back