Prediction Future of Josh has gone to the Dogs.

Where's Schack at in 2018?

• Brisbane

Votes: 173 42.3%
  • Other

Votes: 141 34.5%
  • Does anybody even care anymore?

Votes: 95 23.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It worked so weel the first 3 times, I don't know why we stopped.
I think we should contact the club and let them in on our epiphany. Stop losing all the time and start winning!

NO! Are you kidding? Think of all the high draft picks we can end up with (*if they don't leave. Damn, endless cycle:straining:).
Yeah I see your point all those second round picks we would miss out on when those top 10 draft picks walk out. We should be grateful the vfl lets us participate.

So we just need to win the Premiership and everything will be sweet? We should do that, then.:thumbsu:

Terrible idea. We need high draft picks. Winning a flag could cost us a premiership.

:huh: This one's going great.
I feel like it's kind of mutated into some kind of upsidedown world or twitlight zone now.

I84Wu7r.gif

Let's sacrifice whoever's responsible to our god.

I'm sure he's just finding his feet and focusing on his footy first and foremost. Contrary to what most people think, I doubt most footballers, other than the older types reaching the twilight of their careers, are thinking too much about their contract once pre-season and the season proper rolls around.

That, and he's probably got an agent in his ear reminding him that good young key forwards don't grow on trees, so if he performs well during the season he will hopefully command a better contract offer. And why not? I'm sure we'd do the same if we were in Schache's position, after all, it is his livelihood and career.

I'm sure he's just finding his feet and focusing on his footy first and foremost. Contrary to what most people think, I doubt most footballers, other than the older types reaching the twilight of their careers, are thinking too much about their contract once pre-season and the season proper rolls around.

That, and he's probably got an agent in his ear reminding him that good young key forwards don't grow on trees, so if he performs well during the season he will hopefully command a better contract offer. And why not? I'm sure we'd do the same if we were in Schache's position, after all, it is his livelihood and career.
Whispers are that he miss's home a lot & would prefer to be at a Melbourne club.

It's totally understandable for him to miss home. We just gotta hope that Fagan and our chequebook can offer him enough to stay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Schache does leave.. I'll probably have a break from the AFL. Just sick of the mentality of young players in this sport. The Lions will most likely be stuck in this cycle for a long time

Do you blame them? Would you rather play in a well functioning club in your home state or at the Lions? It'd be an easy decision for me.

Anyone who got too caught up in these things could go through quite the range of emotions reading this thread!

He's staying, he's going, he's homesick and so on!

Do you blame them? Would you rather play in a well functioning club in your home state or at the Lions? It'd be an easy decision for me.

I do a little. Yes we don't have the best right now and onus is us to make Brisbane an attractive place to play but there is only so much you can do with little government support. Its not like he would go starving here (I'm sure his contract will be large). I think at some point if they want to be successful it shouldn't always mean running off somewhere else but instead improving were you are and building. These guys have too many excuses to leave (and pathways) and that's just the AFL. From a Brisbane point of view we have no bargaining power and players have too much power. We just take what is on offer or nothing.

I do a little. Yes we don't have the best right now and onus is us to make Brisbane an attractive place to play but there is only so much you can do with little government support. Its not like he would go starving here (I'm sure his contract will be large). I think at some point if they want to be successful it shouldn't always mean running off somewhere else but instead improving were you are and building. These guys have too many excuses to leave (and pathways) and that's just the AFL. From a Brisbane point of view we have no bargaining power and players have too much power. We just take what is on offer or nothing.

I was thinking more along the lines that he can play better footy at other clubs. As well as team success I'm sure they'd love to play as well as possible on an individual level. Unfortunately the salary cap and draft isn't doing a good job of equalisation and the AFL is unwilling to try and fix it instead focusing on things like the academies.

I think you will only be as good as you want to be. Having a better looking gym and few more support staff shouldn't be the difference being a good player or great player. Also team success will come if players stick around. The problem is moving away is an easier option. What your saying is correct but I cannot stomach it for much longer.

Fwiw Sam Mayes' homesickness was much larger and talked about this time last year. People shouldn't freak out.
Difficult to imagine any young person that moves away from home for the first time not having the occasional bout of missing home, even for the most independent of people. Probably exaggerated during the offseason when they have more downtime.

Once a player gets stuck in to the season proper and has regular flights to Vic for away matches it probably becomes much easier.

I didn't follow AFL as closely as I do now back when we were winning and had a retention allowance so could someone explain just briefly how that worked?

What I would like to see and I don't know how it would work but basically is the following:
- All teams get a salary cap of whatever figure that may be. This is to pay the player's salaries including players drafted to the club, as well as recruited in from other clubs.
- The non heartland clubs get an additional % outside of the cap to be used ONLY on players originally drafted to the club.
- Let's say for arguments sake it's an additional $200-300k a year, the club would have to either use it or lose it per year i.e if they knew a player was coming out of contract next year they could not bank this years figure to go with next years as well (as I believe that would be to big a disadvantage to the other clubs).
- This percentage of money outside the 'normal' cap can not be used to attract outside recruits, which as we know Sydney were alleged to have done with Buddy/Tippett.

Is the above similar to how the retention allowance worked previously, or could we use it (if we wanted) to attract recruits also??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back