Prediction Future of Josh has gone to the Dogs.

Where's Schack at in 2018?

• Brisbane

Votes: 173 42.3%
  • Other

Votes: 141 34.5%
  • Does anybody even care anymore?

Votes: 95 23.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They probably won't. Surely his manager has informed him of the possibility of negative public opinion. Booing whether you agree with it or not is part of the afl scene and it can be brutal. He must know what he is going to face and be willing to cop it. Surely.
Yeah fair call. If it is all but done and he is gone then i probably wont mind the booing. But if he is 50/50 (which seems unlikely) then it possibly is the last nail in the coffin.

You could hear one individual on the telecast during the second half of the game against Adelaide. The crowd was deathly silent except for one bloke jeering. Anyone who went to the game know what he was yelling?

I didn't get to the game - first one missed in 6 years for function. Sad to report that I didn't care that I didn't get to it.

They probably won't. Surely his manager has informed him of the possibility of negative public opinion. Booing whether you agree with it or not is part of the afl scene and it can be brutal. He must know what he is going to face and be willing to cop it. Surely.
Booing your own players is not part of the AFL scene.

I dunno, an outgoing nature maybe? a certain sorter.. down to earth nature, a bit of a Larrikin. Also those who are quick to make friendships and bonds through what you see on social media and Lions TV. Maybe, not as 'pretty' as a Aish, Schache or Clugg - not in a looks sense, but in a, feel like they would be the school captain and have had a sheltered up bringing, sense. Lewey, McStay, Gards, Matho, Berry.. are all a bit down to earth and rough around the edges, and lets face it, talent wise - being a step down limits the overtures and temptations. Look - it's very much on a feel. I had it with Schache even when everyone was raving about how much he would never leave, I just get the same feeling from Clugg. He feels like someone who might not 'get around' the lads as much, where Berry just looks like he will slot right in and make a go of it. All incredibly speculative, I know - just a feeling. TBH, we should trade any top 10 picks, I can't ever see a vic product of that calibre, not doing the 2 years and leave routine. It is literally part of the development cycle for that sort of elite talent now, they get prepped for it at 16. You do your 2 years, and you fulfil your stature and talent and the club of you and your parents choice as soon as the first chance become available. You don't build to many bonds or get that invested, it will be a bit awkward for 12 months, but by the time you're 25 no one remembers your first 2 years at Brisbane or Gold coast.

From what I can tell, the likes of Simon Black, Nigel Lappin etc would've been quieter, shy types. Would hate to have ruled them out.

I'd also be careful of drawing the line from someone being quiet to flightiness. From the outside it seems like McCluggage and Berry are very close, and I wouldn't underestimate the impact of that bond on how settled he would feel.

Let's give it 6 months before we hit panic mode.

Hey at least Fevola provided that with that win over the scum in their premiership year

Worth it! And a nice reminder of how amazing the Gabba can sound when we're up and about.

I still laugh at the groan from Robert Walls when Cloke fluffs the handball.

If he decided Richmond and they had pick 1 in the PSD. We would be low balled big time. So there are some benefits in having the high PSD pick.

I wonder if we as a club would benefit long term from re-drafting a player in this situation (through the PSD that is). The AFLPA would loose their s**t and we could argue back saying we are losing quality players left right and centre and have no choice to stay competitive.

We'd most likely would trade him after a year anyway and he'd be getting paid what he wants. It could force the AFL and the AFLPA to at least stop sitting on their hands and do something.

Or if he nominates for national draft take him at pick one in the national draft....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I guess it comes down to either greed or welfare and I just don't see how it could be greed, given we would likely offer a huge contract.

If it's a welfare issue then if I were someone close to him I'd seriously be in his ear about taking a gap year. Take some quality family time, a bit of travel, do some study, find other hobbies... Most young people do take a year to find themselves.

He's young enough to get his frame of mind right, come back and still have a long career. To me something doesn't add up - he looks cooked. A poor start at his new club next year could be career killing.

I'm sick of losing them, but I don't want a 19yr old kid to feel the kind of pressing weight he obviously has on him.

The point is we have some bargaining power.

If we do, it isn't because we would take him pick 1 in the National Draft.

No one would possibly believe we would pass up the best kid in the country to redraft a kid who doesn't want to be here.

And what message does that send anyway?

"If you want to leave Brisbane and they coincidentally have pick 1 in the draft... look out... they will set themselves back in a big way just to send a message".

Won't happen, and the threat to do so isn't credible.

I genuinely do not believe this to be correct. Both Gold Coast and GWS used traded in picks to match bids on their academy kids last year.

Were they originally future picks when they received them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worth it! And a nice reminder of how amazing the Gabba can sound when we're up and about.

I still laugh at the groan from Robert Walls when Cloke fluffs the handball.

Funnily enough that might be the last time we see the Gabba like that for a lions match.

I genuinely do not believe this to be correct. Both Gold Coast and GWS used traded in picks to match bids on their academy kids last year.

The key words being "don't have to". It's optional apparently. Several people who attended the Lions draft function in Melbourne were told this directly by iour recruiters.

Are we at the stage where we need to be trading these picks for more established players? This s**t is getting ridiculous.. we cannot break the cycle by drafting teenagers again and again.. if the rules do not change maybe we need to unfortunately set our sights on trying to be a club that chases players to help us win even if we are forgoing a chance at chasing potential ceilings and a flag..

This strategy doesn't even work in the current model as players have to agree to be traded.. it makes you sick that for 10 years this s**t could still be the same..

I also think GWS while good now will have the same problems we have and in 10-15 years will be in our exact same position

Are we at the stage where we need to be trading these picks for more established players? This s**t is getting ridiculous.. we cannot break the cycle by drafting teenagers again and again.. if the rules do not change maybe we need to unfortunately set our sights on trying to be a club that chases players to help us win even if we are forgoing a chance at chasing potential ceilings and a flag..

This strategy doesn't even work in the current model as players have to agree to be traded.. it makes you sick that for 10 years this s**t could still be the same..

I also think GWS while good now will have the same problems we have and in 10-15 years will be in our exact same position
The Swans say hello

From what I can tell, the likes of Simon Black, Nigel Lappin etc would've been quieter, shy types. Would hate to have ruled them out.

I'd also be careful of drawing the line from someone being quiet to flightiness. From the outside it seems like McCluggage and Berry are very close, and I wouldn't underestimate the impact of that bond on how settled he would feel.

Let's give it 6 months before we hit panic mode.

Not saying the quieter shy types are the issue, Simon Black is a lot the same as Hugh at the same age though, so I take your point.

Its just a feeling I have, I hope to be proven wrong.

Were they originally future picks when they received them?
No, it looks like GWS traded out their higher traded in future picks during the 2016 trade period. One those picks was traded to us, pick 16 GC didn't have to use their future traded in pick as no bid came before they used it. GC traded out their other future traded in picks.

Why would both GWS and GC trade out all their future traded in picks if they were free hit draft picks, just doesn't make sense.

The key words being "don't have to". It's optional apparently. Several people who attended the Lions draft function in Melbourne were told this directly by iour recruiters.
Check out my post in the draft thread where I asked Cal Twomey on twitter, and his response.

He seems like an honest enough man especially if he is going to tell the club where he stands at the bye round and not wait until the end of the year (hopefully). I am sure he did want to come to the Lions and stay when he was drafted but a year and a half of beltings would mess with anyone's head I am sure.

Think this could all be a blessing in disguise. Thinking about Schache, he doesn't have any outstanding attributes that will make him one of the best tall forwards in the game going forward. He will be a good player but not up there with how good Daniher is and potentially how good Hipwood will be.

He isn't quick so can't get separation from his opponent, isn't a great mark, he doesn't provide any forward pressure so is useless when the ball hits the deck, limited agility and isn't the best kick.

IF we can turn the picks we get for him into getting some more established midfielders from another club then it will be a great win for us. Give Hipwood more space to roam and we have players like Close, Hammelman and Freeman to play as talls until Ballenden comes on.

Think this could all be a blessing in disguise. Thinking about Schache, he doesn't have any outstanding attributes that will make him one of the best tall forwards in the game going forward. He will be a good player but not up there with how good Daniher is and potentially how good Hipwood will be.

He isn't quick so can't get separation from his opponent, isn't a great mark, he doesn't provide any forward pressure so is useless when the ball hits the deck, limited agility and isn't the best kick.

IF we can turn the picks we get for him into getting some more established midfielders from another club then it will be a great win for us. Give Hipwood more space to roam and we have players like Close, Hammelman and Freeman to play as talls until Ballenden comes on.

That's been my thinking. He'll play a long career and win a few leading goal kicking awards but will be on the next tier down from the top key forwards. Probably won't ever be all australian or a coleman medallist. Which is probably a let down.

Based on what he's shown at AFL level.

That's been my thinking. He'll play a long career and win a few leading goal kicking awards but will be on the next tier down from the top key forwards. Probably won't ever be all australian or a coleman medallist. Which is probably a let down.

Based on what he's shown at AFL level.
Can't possibly judge that after basically one season. Quite often you see KPF's come of age quite suddenly and I think that's what we will see with Schache at some point. Hopefully it is with us.

Can't possibly judge that after basically one season. Quite often you see KPF's come of age quite suddenly and I think that's what we will see with Schache at some point. Hopefully it is with us.

They usually show signs of becoming a great player at a young age like Hipwood has, Schache will be a good player but nothing screams great from everything I've seen in his game so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back