Prediction Future of Josh has gone to the Dogs.

Where's Schack at in 2018?

• Brisbane

Votes: 173 42.3%
  • Other

Votes: 141 34.5%
  • Does anybody even care anymore?

Votes: 95 23.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is fair to ask for an indication more than a month out as to what way you are leaning.

What are we now? 5 months from the end of the season. I think we are well within pur rights to say please give as a tentative yes or no by August. At least then we can seriously start probing possible replacements.
I think that August would be about right and fair to expect a firm answer from him, leaving us about 4 or 5 games to structure the team without him if he chooses to leave.
You'd think the club would be thinking along these lines , its all the social media and AFL media that ramps everything up.

Kicking more than 2 goals in a game would change the outlook on him. At the end of the day, goals is one of the main metrics he'll be judged on, and as much promise as he's shown, he still hasn't kicked more than 2 in a game through his 19 games. Freeman and Hipwood did in their 2nd, McStay in his 5th, Walker 13th, Close 17th. *

Not saying he can't; he clearly can. But actually doing it will change his value (and more crucially, so will not doing it).

[*] Paparone, Zorko, Mayes, Taylor, Robinson, Bastinac, Christensen also kicked >2 before their 20th game, but they're playing different positions

Kicking more than 2 goals in a game would change the outlook on him. At the end of the day, goals is one of the main metrics he'll be judged on, and as much promise as he's shown, he still hasn't kicked more than 2 in a game through his 19 games. Freeman and Hipwood did in their 2nd, McStay in his 5th, Walker 13th, Close 17th. *

Not saying he can't; he clearly can. But actually doing it will change his value (and more crucially, so will not doing it).

[*] Paparone, Zorko, Mayes, Taylor, Robinson, Bastinac, Christensen also kicked >2 before their 20th game, but they're playing different positions

That's the main worry I have. He did kick 2.3 against the Eagles last year IIRC.

Doesn't their contract run out at the end of october? So after trade period. I'd say it's fair to want them to re-sign before trade period.
Its not a requirement at all. (as you know but chose to be sarcastic) My posting is basically stating how I see the situation and is asking for other peoples thoughts.

Wasn't being sarcastic at all, not sure why you'd think that.

The view of the footy public as a whole is that if a player doesn't sign a new contract mid-season they're out the door. And the date seems to be moving forward all the time so that if they're not signing at the start of the year (as was the case with Schache here) people assume the worst - but I realise that wasn't what you were positing. That we're so suspicious when players don't resign is a sad state of affairs.

The view of the footy public as a whole is that if a player doesn't sign a new contract mid-season they're out the door. And the date seems to be moving forward all the time so that if they're not signing at the start of the year (as was the case with Schache here) people assume the worst - but I realise that wasn't what you were positing. That we're so suspicious when players don't resign is a sad state of affairs.

Can't it just be that most players re-sign before the end of the last season of their contract (especially the ones the club are desperate to keep), therefore the closer to the end of the season they are unsigned the greater the chance that they won't?

Of course it's just a guessing game.

Just out of curiosity- does anyone know when the last lions players to sign a contract past mid season in the last year and obviously stay vs those that didn't and went?

Only one I can think of in the last few years that had some market value is Sam Mayes. Those gone Polec, docherty, longer, karnezis, yeo, aish, redden?, rischettelli, Brennan, Patfull, clark. So I guess there is a reason we might be concerned.

Just out of curiosity- does anyone know when the last lions players to sign a contract past mid season in the last year and obviously stay vs those that didn't and went?

Only one I can think of in the last few years that had some market value is Sam Mayes. Those gone Polec, docherty, longer, karnezis, yeo, aish, redden?, rischettelli, Brennan, Patfull, clark. So I guess there is a reason we might be concerned.

Dizzy? Taylor? Matho? Hipwood?

Maybe not a lot of market value, but Gardiner left it very late indeed from memory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Patfull was contracted...

Can't it just be that most players re-sign before the end of the last season of their contract (especially the ones the club are desperate to keep), therefore the closer to the end of the season they are unsigned the greater the chance that they won't?

Of course it's just a guessing game.
It is a guessing game, but whenever I hear the rather implausible excuse of "he just wants to concentrate on playing good football this year", I worry. It's implausible both because you have a manager who handles all the negotiating and a few discussions with your manager every so often isn't likely to be a major distraction; and secondly, because if ever something is going to take your mind off the game as a young man it's the constant media speculation over the reasons you haven't re-signed.

McGrath regularly. I seem to recall one year (when the PSD was held early the following year) he was uncontracted through January. Bradshaw was another. But certainly as list management has become more sophisticated the recent trend is for locking away contracts earlier.

What do you think his reasons for leaving will be?
Homesick. He isn't going to get more opportunity anywhere else, nor probably more money. But if he needs to go home to be closer to his mum and brothers, this is one I am not going to criticise. Conversely we could relocate his mum and brothers to Brisbane

Homesick. He isn't going to get more opportunity anywhere else, nor probably more money. But if he needs to go home to be closer to his mum and brothers, this is one I am not going to criticise. Conversely we could relocate his mum and brothers to Brisbane

I take the opposite approach. I'm quite willing to condone moving for more opportunity or more cash, because I feel it'd be hypocritical to expect behaviour that most wouldn't adhere to. But "homesickness", when you're knowingly entering a national competition with the reality of the draft having existed for years, is just sad. If that was going to be a concern then they shouldn't have entered the draft in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back