Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Closure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
A terrible few months and there are many things more important than no footy but this is a footy forum so no need to go all “perspective General”.

With the closure of the league and the terrible news yesterday that 4 in 5 people from the footy departments of the clubs have been made to take a leave of a absence, the sort (all sport) is in the worst condition it has every been in.

The issue there is we are not only the newest club in a frontier state.but costing close to the most money of any club.

So this thread is about where we thing we will be at the end of it, maybe just a way of getting reassurance as well as I’m a nervous Giant at the moment.

Thread open to all but any trolling or ridiculous statements will get bans etc by our beloved Giants mods.

The way I see it is we will end up 1 of 3 ways,
Surviving as is, Merger, Closure.

Surviving as is - Well we are the Biggest and the Best, but we also supposedly have the 5th biggest corporate sponsorship of my club in the league, we are of only 2 clubs based in the countries biggest city and the only 1 in one of the largest regions of said city.
The growth in the sport in our regions is nothing short of spectacular given the length of time and the club culture appears, from inside and outside, to be outstanding.
The AFL has plenty of assets including a rather large stadium.
Obviously this is our preferred outcome.

Merger- We aren’t the only ones in trouble and the League has done this before.
Wether you would call the Brisbane Lions a merger, a name change from the Bears or a takeover is debated elsewhere but seems to have been successful for Brisbane allowing Brisbane to have away crowds in Melbourne (which for some reason is the VFL Media’s standard of success).
There are 4ish clubs in the heartland city that are in almost as much dire financial problems as the expansion clubs and they have been around a lot longer (100 years or more) to get it right.
Could the AFL see an opening to cut the teams in Melbourne while “strengthening” a growing club in the frontier states?
I’ve lived through this with my Tigers and am not a fan. But it is better, just, than the last option.

Closure- The AFL decides, wrongly in my opinion, that they could always come back to the Western Sydney/ Canberra club idea at a later date. That keeping the Melbourne media and clubs gravy train happy be the highest concern.

Thoughts? I’m a worry wort or have reason to be?

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
Could quite possibly be any of the 3 above. Who knows at present how badly the coffers will be drained.
Players wages are unsustainable.
Jezza and Zaccy haven't signed new contracts, but one assumes they would be for a whole lot less than Cogs and Kellys'.
Whose existing contract payments would probably break the club anyway.
Who knows?

The only conceivable merger would be a geographically based one, I shudder at sharing wins or losses with Swans supporters.

The AFL chairman Richard Goyder has expressed confidence that the 18 clubs and the competition will endure the current crisis, but said there would be ''necessary'' change to the game for some time after the shutdown.
Goyder, who is also the chairman of Qantas, confirmed that it was the AFL's role to ensure that there were 18 clubs and a competition later this year.

"We will all work together to ensure the clubs and the AFL get through this, which we will. But there will be some difficult decisions on the way through to ensure that happens,'' said Goyder.

The AFL chairman confirmed that the AFL saw its role as one of underwriting the clubs, who have made savage cuts to staff – standing down 70-80 per cent – following the cessation of games and the drying up of most revenue.

"Yeah, the clubs have to do their bit and then the AFL will do our bit and that's to ensure we've got 18 clubs and a competition later this year and beyond that,'' he said.

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I think you guys are one of the safer clubs.

AFL has for a long time wanted two clubs in each state.

Although expansion and setting up the two newest clubs has been an expensive exercise the regions are too important strategically, and in there is clear growth in those regions (NSW and QLD) which the AFL considers very important areas geographically.

The clubs who should be sweating are the smaller Victorian clubs who are swimming in debt.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
Reading an article online somewhere this morning, the NRL is very close to going under, they could be hit as hard/ harder than the AFL.
In that case, Gold coast Suns & Giants would be afforded some space to expand into the league heartlands.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Reading an article online somewhere this morning, the NRL is very close to going under, they could be hit as hard/ harder than the AFL.
In that case, Gold coast Suns & Giants would be afforded some space to expand into the league heartlands.

Yeah the league is in massive troubles and the Sydney clubs even worse. Can see 4 either dying merging or moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies

Well, with so many NRL clubs soooo dependant on their licensed clubs (and the associated pokie revenue) you can see how bad it might be for them with those clubs totally shut for the next couple of months.

Thank god we’re not in the pokie business.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I think it's premature to speculate with any degree of certainty - we need to see/understand what damage to the whole of Australia (and the world) this pandemic does in the end. AFL expanded because times were good and money plentiful; if the loss of good times/$ is huge from the pandemic, it's difficult to tell where it will all finish. Though I would agree that AFL appears to be in much better position than the NRL which appears to have completely mismanaged and squandered their wealth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFL lets a club fold, it'll open up a chance to tear up the TV contract because it needs nine games a week.

So... can't see the AFL being a fan of that.
Channel 9 already want to tear up their contract with NRL.

Can already see there being issues for AFL too.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Channel 9 already want to tear up their contract with NRL.

Can already see there being issues for AFL too.

AFL just extended their contract out to 2025 so can’t see that being an issue for them.

With all the assets the AFL have over what the NRL I think they are in a better place.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

While some media have elected to speculate on the future of our club at this time - suggesting it may be in jeopardy - I want to ensure you that this is not the case.

There is tremendous collaboration right across our game at the moment with all 18 clubs working together to ensure every single club comes out the other side of this crisis.

In less than 10 years, we have built a terrific club that has wonderful corporate support and a powerful and wide reaching network that is committed to seeing our club grow into one of the most powerful elite sporting organisations in the country. And we of course have the most devoted and supportive members and fans in sport.

Mar 26, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
There is tremendous collaboration right across our game at the moment with all 18 clubs working together to ensure every single club comes out the other side of this crisis.

This is the sentence that worries me its either poorly written or could be playing with semantics. "At the moment" ??? - seriously when the austerity measures get announced and they dont suit your agenda to win a flag - lets see self-interest takeover then.

Gill " worst crisis in 100+ years or the history of the game" - Clubs "we will be right, nothing to see here move along we will be fine" - Are they in stage 1 denial?

Clubs "we will be right, nothing to see here move along we will be fine" - Are they in stage 1 denial?
I'm guessing you missed the news about the clubs' actions - standing down about 90% of employees, coaches going without pay and players taking a substantial pay cut?

Mar 26, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm guessing you missed the news about the clubs' actions - standing down about 90% of employees, coaches going without pay and players taking a substantial pay cut?

Yeah its called kicking the can over the hill. Look I understand why they are saying what they are saying - the game is going to lose many people on both sides of the fence, that will never return, its just not sustainable in its current format going forward - heavens above, it was only just sustainable for some clubs in the "good times".

Zero chance we merge in my opinion.
The AFL has far too much money tied to each game played, a reduction in games would cost more in lost revenue than keeping battling teams afloat.

And we already have two AFL clubs in Sydney, though one is South Melbourne :cool:

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah its called kicking the can over the hill. Look I understand why they are saying what they are saying - the game is going to lose many people on both sides of the fence, that will never return, its just not sustainable in its current format going forward - heavens above, it was only just sustainable for some clubs in the "good times".

100% agree that the game is not sustainable in its current form. If this had happened 10 years ago, you could kiss expansion goodbye for a decade or more. Reality is we now have 2 teams in each state outside of Victoria and that will remain.

Gil would chop off his own dick before he folds/merges GWS and Gold Coast.

Austerity will hurt all the clubs and things will need to change moving forward. After the initial crisis is over, the AFL will need to ask itself "how to we increase the size of the pie" the answer is the Giants and the Suns.

GWS and Suns will be the AFL's ticket to increasing market share and growing the game, especially now that NRL will be considerably weaker.

Back