Future of Super Rugby

Discussion in 'Rugby Union' started by Seedsfan, Feb 28, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. Landgraft

Landgraft Team Captain

Geelong
    Other teams:
    I've been interested reading through this thread, as well as very vaguely following this story over the last few months.

About ten years ago I spent a few seasons as a Brumbies member attending every home game and all the rest of it. Over the years I just didn't find Rugby that engaging, now haven't watched a live game in years and doubt I ever will again.

At the same time Super Rugby is such a weird and different league. I still find it intruiging on a conceptual basis, but I don't understand how anyone could look at a structure with 6 teams in SA, 5 in Australia and NZ, 1 in Argentina and Japan and expect to get a fair/balanced/sustainable competition out of it. When the salary cap is relatively small surely some teams must be spending more on logistically getting their players to and from games than on paying those players to play. It's all just such a weird and wonderful world, but it seems likely to continue crashing down even if they try to get the comp smaller again.

From my perspective on the Brumbies, they are a team that genuinely has support across basically all demographics in Canberra and growing up they were a huge deal. If there was a bigger population there then keeping them would be a no brainer, but comparing the relative size of Canberra and Perth I can understand the room for growth argument. Very hard to expect business like this to make calls on potential when times are lean, though.

Pj.Rj.Hj likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Monocle

Monocle Premium Platinum

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Claremont. New England Patriots.
    Kudos to Rugby WA for getting Malcolm McCusker to represent them, very astute move on their behalf .
    He and administrative and constitutional law expert Matthew Howard together will be a formidable legal team that ARU will be going up against.

ARU are now in for one hell of a legal battle.

I think ARU may have seriously underestimated the fight and resolve in the West to fight this.

The_Reaper likes this.
  3. Scotland

Scotland Hall of Famer

West Coast
    Other teams:
    I like the name.

The Australian franchises are inconsistent AF when it comes to naming, though. Queensland Reds, NSW Waratahs, Western Force. All state names. The ACT Brumbies are now just 'Brumbies' because 'ACT and Southern NSW' is cumbersome, and then you have the Melbourne Rebels.

There has been a push in recent years for franchises to just have monikers without geographic identifiers. It's Lions vs Hurricanes, rather than Joburg Lions vs Wellington Hurricanes. Etc.

4. chibimatty

chibimatty Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    WA CrIcket, Arsenal, Glory, PerthFC
    The SA and NZ sides started phasing out the geographical identifiers from 1998 and by 2000 they were all gone. There's been a push by Australia to regain them as they believe it helps to market to a mainstream Australian audience.

5. The_Reaper

The_Reaper Hall of Famer

West Coast
    Other teams:
    East Fremantle
    Australia needs it