Future of Super Rugby

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
NZRU will be well aware that RA have no money and no idea.

The entire time I've watched SR NZ have had 5 teams, a provincial championship and for 99% of the time the best test team in the world.

Meanwhile we've had 3-4-5-4, ARC for a year, NRC 7 years after that, and a test team that has been anywhere from WC finalists to barely QF standard.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
NZRU will be well aware that RA have no money and no idea.

The entire time I've watched SR NZ have had 5 teams, a provincial championship and for 99% of the time the best test team in the world.

Meanwhile we've had 3-4-5-4, ARC for a year, NRC 7 years after that, and a test team that has been anywhere from WC finalists to barely QF standard.
It’s because there is too much infighting. For too long the SRU has had way too much power. They always stymie attempts to get a NRC style competition going to protect the Shute Shield. We need a revolution get rid of the old way of doing business

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
So a 4th or/and 3rd Australian team is too crap but a "Pacific Island" team where the game isn't even professional is up to standard? Sounds... odd. Who'd be funding this "Pacific Island" team?
IRB development fund just like the Dura. NZ want to be the dominant partner but rugby in NZ is not sustainable the way it is. With the costs blowing out at the top end and the super Rugby revenue collapsing they are going to leave themselves very vulnerable financially.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
For too long the SRU has had way too much power. They always stymie attempts to get a NRC style competition going to protect the Shute Shield. We need a revolution get rid of the old way of doing business

The old model worked but not now.
The super rugby model failed.
A "national" competition has even less appeal.
Swallow your pride and play with the kiwis.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
A Pacific Island team would just be funded by the NZRU and would be a feeder team for the NZRU.

SR with 5 NZ, 1 PI and 2 AU would be a disaster for Australian rugby.

A domestic comp of 8 teams here would be a disaster for Australian rugby.
How is having a 6-8 team Aussie comp a disaster?

They had the super 15 and killing off Perth was a disaster.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
It would be like having all Socceroos picked from an A-League that consisted solely of Australian players then wondering why France and Germany beat us 10-0 in the World Cup.
In that super 15/18 era..... We had the 5 Aussie sides.... Act Brumbies, NSW and Queensland were decent and won the Super comp at least once. Melbourne were semi decent. Perth were crap but remarkably have a following.

I have said if your going to have an 8 team Aussie Rugby union comp, have those 5 teams in plus an Adelaide side and a 2nd NSW side such as a NSW country side or western NSW team then a 2nd Queensland side that's either on the Gold coast or north Queensland.

Sure the NSW and Queensland and ACT sides will be contenders for the 1st 5 or so years due to experience but the other sides will slowly improve

Hap Hapablap

I'm off to Nepal to become a mountain goat.
Jun 27, 2006
Where the cows go bong.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers,Internazionale, Man U
In that super 15/18 era..... We had the 5 Aussie sides.... Act Brumbies, NSW and Queensland were decent and won the Super comp at least once. Melbourne were semi decent. Perth were crap but remarkably have a following.

I have said if your going to have an 8 team Aussie Rugby union comp, have those 5 teams in plus an Adelaide side and a 2nd NSW side such as a NSW country side or western NSW team then a 2nd Queensland side that's either on the Gold coast or north Queensland.

Sure the NSW and Queensland and ACT sides will be contenders for the 1st 5 or so years due to experience but the other sides will slowly improve

rebels were just as s**t if not worse. they only got better when they took half of the force side after their removal

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
rebels were just as sh*t if not worse. they only got better when they took half of the force side after their removal
I don't care.

We needed a revamping for the Australian rugby union sides.

Should of had an 8-10 team Australian rugby union comp back in 2000-2005.

But nah, most of the cash was made was given to the national side.

Rugby union didn't care about grassroots level development.

If we had an 8 team comp, even if each of those sides had a salary cap of 2-3 million, it would slowly grow the game.

I didn't care if NSW, Queensland and ACT dominated the 1st 5-10 years, there could of been slow but gradual growth in all of the big 5 states in NSW, Queensland, Victoria, SA and WA if things were done right

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

So South Africa are heading North to greener pastures. Gee, who saw that coming?

Beat thing to happen for rugby in the pacific.

They wanted the Sunwolves gone for shits a giggles and to also cut the Aussie teams.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I don't care.

We needed a revamping for the Australian rugby union sides.

Should of had an 8-10 team Australian rugby union comp back in 2000-2005.

But nah, most of the cash was made was given to the national side.

Rugby union didn't care about grassroots level development.

If we had an 8 team comp, even if each of those sides had a salary cap of 2-3 million, it would slowly grow the game.

I didn't care if NSW, Queensland and ACT dominated the 1st 5-10 years, there could of been slow but gradual growth in all of the big 5 states in NSW, Queensland, Victoria, SA and WA if things were done right

They spent all their money in bringing in League stars instead of building a grassroots behemoth.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
They spent all their money in bringing in League stars instead of building a grassroots behemoth.
that was Part of the Problem.

I didnt mind Rebels and Western force in the comp. Sure, Let them get sloppy 2nds from the NSW and Queensland state leagues if they need to fill up their roster.

Yes there are 8-9 Rugby Union clubs in South Australia. But there isnt any incentive to stay there if there is No SA team.

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
My ideal new world(southern hemisphere) order:

Super Rugby Pacific
-Blues
-Chiefs
-Hurricanes
-Crusaders
-Highlanders
-Reds
-Waratahs
-Brumbies
-Force
-Pacific Islands Team(based primarily in Fiji but also drawing on players and playing occasional home games in Samoa & Tonga)

Super Rugby Atlantic
-Bulls
-Lions
-Sharks
-Cheetahs
-Stormers
-Kings (probably need a re-brand)
-Jaguares (based in Buenos Aries)
-2nd Argentine side (based in the west primarily Mendoza but playing occasional home games in San Juan & Cordoba)

2 seperate leagues, this would mean no more ridiculous flights to the other end of the Earth, two smaller more competitive comps. No insane conference systems.

Not really needed but could be an option to have a Southern Hemisphere championship game each year too with played between the two comps champions, but that would come later down the line after the two comps have bedded in.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
My ideal new world(southern hemisphere) order:

Super Rugby Pacific
-Blues
-Chiefs
-Hurricanes
-Crusaders
-Highlanders
-Reds
-Waratahs
-Brumbies
-Force
-Pacific Islands Team(based primarily in Fiji but also drawing on players and playing occasional home games in Samoa & Tonga)

Super Rugby Atlantic
-Bulls
-Lions
-Sharks
-Cheetahs
-Stormers
-Kings (probably need a re-brand)
-Jaguares (based in Buenos Aries)
-2nd Argentine side (based in the west primarily Mendoza but playing occasional home games in San Juan & Cordoba)

2 seperate leagues, this would mean no more ridiculous flights to the other end of the Earth, two smaller more competitive comps. No insane conference systems.

Not really needed but could be an option to have a Southern Hemisphere championship game each year too with played between the two comps champions, but that would come later down the line after the two comps have bedded in.

You are missing the Mighty Sunwolves

Back