C'wealth Future of the CWG

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting article. The CWG in it's current form needs a change. This has been evident for a while now (stripping of Durban as host, no bidders for 2026). Instead of making cuts it's needs to be diversified so the smaller nations don't feel left out. If you look at the hosts since inception it's been United Kingdom 7, Australia 5, Canada 4, NZ 3, India 1, Jamaica 1, Malaysia 1. It's countries like the last 3 that need assistance.

Instead of a single location putting in a bit for sports, a radical idea would be rotating the hosts in relation to area and have multiple hosts in that area, according to where current facilities are located. You could rotate between 4 geographical locations every 4 years (Americas-Caribbean / Europe-Africa / Asia / Oceania/Pacific) and have the games inside a 2 week timeframe. Inside those geographic locations you could have 3-4 co-host who can host events according their facilties. One location may have an athletics track but not a cycling velodrome, whereas another location in that area might have a velodrome where they can host cycling. Ok, yes the opening/closing ceremonies will be smaller in scale, but they will all still be in a similar time zone as well.

This will assist the smaller countries to host a mini-Games in their location and get the locals involved and not feel "left out". In 2022 the shooting will be held in India separately to Birmingham as there are no shooting facilities in Birmingham (and similiar to when 1956 Olympics had the equestian held in Stockholm).
You could see "Asia" host the games and have a different events in India, Sri Lanka and Malaysia for example at a much less cost than one location hosting the whole thing.

Interesting article. The CWG in it's current form needs a change. This has been evident for a while now (stripping of Durban as host, no bidders for 2026). Instead of making cuts it's needs to be diversified so the smaller nations don't feel left out. If you look at the hosts since inception it's been United Kingdom 7, Australia 5, Canada 4, NZ 3, India 1, Jamaica 1, Malaysia 1. It's countries like the last 3 that need assistance.

Instead of a single location putting in a bit for sports, a radical idea would be rotating the hosts in relation to area and have multiple hosts in that area, according to where current facilities are located. You could rotate between 4 geographical locations every 4 years (Americas-Caribbean / Europe-Africa / Asia / Oceania/Pacific) and have the games inside a 2 week timeframe. Inside those geographic locations you could have 3-4 co-host who can host events according their facilties. One location may have an athletics track but not a cycling velodrome, whereas another location in that area might have a velodrome where they can host cycling. Ok, yes the opening/closing ceremonies will be smaller in scale, but they will all still be in a similar time zone as well.

This will assist the smaller countries to host a mini-Games in their location and get the locals involved and not feel "left out". In 2022 the shooting will be held in India separately to Birmingham as there are no shooting facilities in Birmingham (and similiar to when 1956 Olympics had the equestian held in Stockholm).
You could see "Asia" host the games and have a different events in India, Sri Lanka and Malaysia for example at a much less cost than one location hosting the whole thing.

Big events like this rarely assist poor countries though, and typically do the opposite.

The Commonwealth Games hsve passed their use by date. The interest and level of competition is low, just let them die.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
When had they hadn’t though?

even in the 1990s everyone thought the commonwealth games had passed their use by date.

with South Africa back competing, england greatly improving from the joke they once were and India slowly becoming a world power I would argue they are becoming more relevant,

You have to have lower-level competitions. You can't just have Olympics and World Champs.

Pan Pacs, Europeans, Asian games, there are South Americans, Pacific, Pan-americans, Africans, - sure, the CGs are more historically based rather than regional (still can't work out how the f*** Mozambique got in there), but so what? With easy travel these days (oops!), it makes sense to have some lesser comps.

You have to have lower-level competitions. You can't just have Olympics and World Champs.

Pan Pacs, Europeans, Asian games, there are South Americans, Pacific, Pan-americans, Africans, - sure, the CGs are more historically based rather than regional (still can't work out how the f*** Mozambique got in there), but so what? With easy travel these days (oops!), it makes sense to have some lesser comps.
I agree. It has to be scaled back Somewhat so cities can use existing infrastructure and CWG Federation work out what they are trying to achieve.

Should they use it just as preparation for Olympics? or for cross cultural reasons and play sports that are strong in most of the commonwealth ie netball, cricket, rugby, hockey etc.

Cost also has to be a consideration. That's why athletics should stay as the biggest cost after travel for most athletes are shoes for track and the things they throw or pole vault for field athletes. Costly technology dependent sports like track cycling misses out as most of the smaller or poorer nations can't compete on those levels.

Need a few smart sports administrators to have a bit of a summit and work out its future path.

Re Mozambique and Cameroon, I think CHOGM have a standing charter that is open to countries applying to join the Commonwealth, which then gives them an opportunity to attend the Games.

When had they hadn’t though?

even in the 1990s everyone thought the commonwealth games had passed their use by date.

with South Africa back competing, england greatly improving from the joke they once were and India slowly becoming a world power I would argue they are becoming more relevant,

I agree, I don't get the negativity around the Commonwealth Games. Everyone knows it's not the Olympics.

The games capture a huge population and are good for smaller countries.I think the Comm Games are missing a strong Pakistan in a few sports.

I don't think downsizing is the answer but if they do have to drop some sports, probably something like Track Cycling which is has limited representation but high cost would be one that could go and maybe Gymnastics and Diving with some good replacement sports in their place. Some sports that are available to more countries.

The Commonwealth Games hsve passed their use by date. The interest and level of competition is low, just let them die.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I think the Commonwealth of Nations has passed its use by date. The games are probably the only reason Australia is still in it. If it wasn't for the games and the chance to celebrate our athletes win big bags of medals moist Aussies wouldn't give two hoots about the political stuff the Commonwealth does.

I think the Commonwealth of Nations has passed its use by date. The games are probably the only reason Australia is still in it. If it wasn't for the games and the chance to celebrate our athletes win big bags of medals moist Aussies wouldn't give two hoots about the political stuff the Commonwealth does.
The reason we are in it is because the queen is our head of state. Australians chose not to kick her out during the referendum. And i have no idea why but im pretty sure it wasnt the commonwealth games. Not one pro monarchist used the commonwealth games as an argument to keep the queen

Last edited:
The reason we are in it is because the queen is our head of state. Australians choose not to kick her out during the referendum. And i have no idea why but im pretty sure it wasnt the commonwealth games. Not one pro monarchist used the commonwealth games as an argument to keep the queen
Exactly. If we weren't in the Commonwealth we could still be in the CWG

The reason we are in it is because the queen is our head of state. Australians chose not to kick her out during the referendum. And i have no idea why but im pretty sure it wasnt the commonwealth games. Not one pro monarchist used the commonwealth games as an argument to keep the queen

There are 54 countries in the Commonwealth of Nations. 33 are of them are republics, 16 of them have Queen Elizabeth II as Head of State, 5 of them have their pwn local monarchies. So Commonwealth countries with QEII as HoS are firmly in the minority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are 54 countries in the Commonwealth of Nations. 33 are of them are republics, 16 of them have Queen Elizabeth II as Head of State, 5 of them have their pwn local monarchies. So Commonwealth countries with QEII as HoS are firmly in the minority.
Ok you just did maths wrong.

how many states with the queen as a head of state are not in the commonwealth games?

Ok you just did maths wrong.

how many states with the queen as a head of state are not in the commonwealth games?

All of the Commonwealth nations, regardless of whether they were a Commonwealth Realm (with the queen as head of state like Australia) or republic, competed at the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

There are also a bunch more territories that aren't sovereign nations, which compete as part of larger nations at the Olympics, but independently as the Comm Games. British athletes split into England, Scotland, NI, Wales, Jersey, Guernsey etc; Norkfolk Island competes separately from Australia; Niue competes separately from New Zealand.

So with all the Commonwealth nations, plus dependencies, there were 71 "nations" competing at the 2018 Comm Games.

All of the Commonwealth nations, regardless of whether they were a Commonwealth Realm (with the queen as head of state like Australia) or republic, competed at the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

There are also a bunch more territories that aren't sovereign nations, which compete as part of larger nations at the Olympics, but independently as the Comm Games. British athletes split into England, Scotland, NI, Wales, Jersey, Guernsey etc; Norkfolk Island competes separately from Australia; Niue competes separately from New Zealand.

So with all the Commonwealth nations, plus dependencies, there were 71 "nations" competing at the 2018 Comm Games.
And how many nations with the queen as head of state were not competing at the commonwealth games?

And how many nations with the queen as head of state were not competing at the commonwealth games?
16 nations/sovereign states has her as head of state, only 1 didn't compete in 2018 - United Kingdom.

So 0 didnt compete. Which is my point.
Technically 1 didn't compete. The fact the UK splits up into 4 constituent countries for the Comm Games I guess makes the practical answer 0.

If australia competed as states instead of australia (something that was suggested at one point back in the nineties) then australians are still competing.
So you are saying Ukians are competing in the comm games??

I don't mind the Comm games. We should be able to do it fairly cheaply - we have plenty of decent stadiums and arenas. Only difficulty is the aths track - I'm not sure we want to dig up the MCG again - that caused a few problems last time. Maybe we could get some of the Grand Prix temporary grandstands out of storage and do something at Lakeside - although I'm not sure exactly what. We probably only need a 40,000 capacity for the aths - we can still run the opening/closing ceremonies at the MCG or Docklands if necessary.

Sure, it's a 2nd class competition (at best), but that's OK - we need them as well.

Let's see if the poms can raise the interest and hype back up a bit when they host in Birmingham.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back