Future of the Footy Club

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Gut feeling is we are at a very important stage of the club.

There as been a lot of talk about changing of coaches, changing of the board,rebuilding, Private ownership, public ownership even moving more games to Canberra or less. (Not saying I agree with all of this or none).

Post your thoughts on what you think the club needs to do, and how, to grow to what we know we can be.

Not just for Giants fans but if you're here to troll with stupid comments like “fold the club”. Then get a life and enjoy the ban(I’m sure the mods will agree).

Last edited:

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
I think we need a change of coach and we also have to strongly review the CEO and List Manager.

They have to so whatever it takes to get Clarkson. GCS are going well enough for Dew to stay on so we are the obvious choice for him.

The CEO and List Manager have made some very questionable decisions. They have allowed their personal connections and friendships to get in the way of some hard calls and some of the contracts signed have really put the club in a difficult position.

They need to be accountable, there is no premierships won and none in the foreseeable future, they attached themselves to the Leon bandwagon and now probably need to head off with him.

Agree time for some hard decisions, deliver Clarkson or thanks for coming.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Thoughts.

Apologies, we all know I'm not the best on getting my thoughts down well. But here we go.

Board - We need to give some ownership to the fans, whether that is one or two board members who are voted on by us is open for debate. But at this stage we have no say or even representation at that level of the club. We just have to nod and smile, or go nuts on social media.

Academies - We need to put more into the Western Sydney boys and girls. It is urgent that we get some home grown heroes from the West side of town for the local kids to be able to get behind. Also need to give them a shot. Briggs and Peatling both should of been out there today.

Promotion - The AFL need to stump up the cash and promote the game up here. pretty much non existent for anything other than social media posts. The Swans club and its fans agree.

Ticket and Membership prices - We are one of the most expensive clubs to follow in Sydney from what I've seen, was beyond a joke for the finals as well, for a club that supposedly is here to represent the hard working but poorer region of Sydney this is not going to endear us to our fellow locals.

Ownership - We have individuals wanting to buy the club and invest, its been proven. Now yes sport has had a bad time of it back in the 80's and 90's but I do think the sport, all sport really, has learnt from that. I do think it will help the club be its own beast and not just a mouth piece where we accept every kick to the nuts that we seem to cop.
Can it backfire? yes. But could it also improve the club as a whole? Yes. We just need to hope that there are procedures, checks and balances in place to protect our club if we should go down this path (such as guarantees of Western Sydney home games etc)

- Drafting, For * sake (sorry but swearing is part of Western Sydney and it doesn't mean you've lost an argument) start drafting on need not best available. We have a plethora of inside Mids, we literally cant play them all. Meanwhile our key fwds and Backs need help and we are sloooooooow through the midfield (though its possible that's a coaching tactic).

Will post more as it comes to me. Helps to write it down.
Have no doubt the club is doing its best but its a struggle sometimes to see it.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
This is the right topic thread at the right time.

If you ask me to wave the magic wand, here’s what I’d do on Monday morning.

Hold a press conference with the Chairman and Sheedy to announce:

1. Leon’s resignation and thanks on behalf of the Club.

2. Announce an interim HC for the remainder of the season. I’m less concerned by who exactly is in this role, we need a reset and freh objective eyes.

2. Appoint Sheedy to independently review every aspect of the Football department over the next 3 months, including CEO involvement, and report back to the Board. Sheedy should interview Leon, our former line coaches, as well as senior players and current line coaches.

3. Report back to the Board in 1 August. Board should then begin a full HC interview process that is informed by Sheedy’s report. Permanent new HC to be announced before the GF.

4. From an ownership perspective, if privatisation is real it should be accelerated by VFL HQ and get done in the next 3 months. The new owners should then spill the Board, and the new board should start focusing on pleasing Sponsors and Members as their goal, not Gil and his minions.

5. I agree Members need a formal feedback mechanism, and there should be a Members committee or the like that reports to the Board - not the CEO.

6. The new Board should decide on the Sheedy report re permanent HC appointment. Once that is done, next task would be to review the CEO role and rehire if required.

This club needs a CEO like the Swans. Someone who is organic to NSW/ACT who will publicly hold VFL HQ accountable and call out issues that are harming our club.

7. I think there is an outside chance an interim HC could push close to Finals in 2022, start to rebuild morale and stabilise the list. If we make no change we are on the road to perdition.

Other than that, everything is awesome(!).

Happy Easter!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
This is the right topic thread at the right time.

If you ask me to wave the magic wand, here’s what I’d do on Monday morning.

Hold a press conference with the Chairman and Sheedy to announce:

1. Leon’s resignation and thanks on behalf of the Club.

2. Announce an interim HC for the remainder of the season. I’m less concerned by who exactly is in this role, we need a reset and freh objective eyes.

2. Appoint Sheedy to independently review every aspect of the Football department over the next 3 months, including CEO involvement, and report back to the Board. Sheedy should interview Leon, our former line coaches, as well as senior players and current line coaches.

3. Report back to the Board in 1 August. Board should then begin a full HC interview process that is informed by Sheedy’s report. Permanent new HC to be announced before the GF.

4. From an ownership perspective, if privatisation is real it should be accelerated by VFL HQ and get done in the next 3 months. The new owners should then spill the Board, and the new board should start focusing on pleasing Sponsors and Members as their goal, not Gil and his minions.

5. I agree Members need a formal feedback mechanism, and there should be a Members committee or the like that reports to the Board - not the CEO.

6. The new Board should decide on the Sheedy report re permanent HC appointment. Once that is done, next task would be to review the CEO role and rehire if required.

This club needs a CEO like the Swans. Someone who is organic to NSW/ACT who will publicly hold VFL HQ accountable and call out issues that are harming our club.

7. I think there is an outside chance an interim HC could push close to Finals in 2022, start to rebuild morale and stabilise the list. If we make no change we are on the road to perdition.

Other than that, everything is awesome(!).

Happy Easter!

You made some fair points but you might be holding Sheedy in to high esteem and for it to truly be an independent review it needs to be ran by people with no link to the club and shouldn't be done by just one person. After all part of the problem of the Cameron appointment was it was the individual call of one person in Gubby Allan.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
You made some fair points but you might be holding Sheedy in to high esteem and for it to truly be an independent review it needs to be ran by people with no link to the club and shouldn't be done by just one person. After all part of the problem of the Cameron appointment was it was the individual call of one person in Gubby Allan.

That’s a reasonable point.

I suggested Sheedy because it needs to be someone retired from the game to whom the Board will listen.

Would be v happy for it to be someone else.

In order of priority for me;

1. Clarkson - Throw the kitchen sink and everything else at thim, a "whatever it costs" need
  2. Start the private ownership process with 20% interest to be held by the members
  3. Bleat like buggery for the return of COLA
  4. Re-engage with members, this is my 11th year and for the last 3 the engagement has been way below average, especially given the need with covid

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
If we can’t get Clarko then I think Choco Williams should be next choice (or possibly even first?). Knows the club, premiership coach and knows how to get it down in H&A to give the best possible chance of a premiership.

The guy has also got that ruthless edge we are missing

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
In order of priority for me;

1. Clarkson - Throw the kitchen sink and everything else at thim, a "whatever it costs" need
  2. Start the private ownership process with 20% interest to be held by the members
  3. Bleat like buggery for the return of COLA
  4. Re-engage with members, this is my 11th year and for the last 3 the engagement has been way below average, especially given the need with covid

I suspect COLA and private ownership are linked.

No one in their right mind would buy the club from VFL HQ without insisting on COLA.

Should have been sorted by the CEO and Board years ago, and would lhave left us with a stronger list.

BarryAglett

7th Round Draft Pick
Sep 24, 2014
Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
I suspect COLA and private ownership are linked.

No one in their right mind would buy the club from VFL HQ without insisting on COLA.

Should have been sorted by the CEO and Board years ago, and would lhave left us with a stronger list.
A serious stain on Gil's tenure is rolling back concessions early and removing COLA; Also perhaps, putting the kybosh on the Dusty move to GWS (knowledge only recently disclosed) . When Buddy Franklin went to Sydney there was an obvious panic in VIC HQ about NSW teams suddenly being unbeatable.

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
A serious stain on Gil's tenure is rolling back concessions early and removing COLA; Also perhaps, putting the kybosh on the Dusty move to GWS (knowledge only recently disclosed) . When Buddy Franklin went to Sydney there was an obvious panic in VIC HQ about NSW teams suddenly being unbeatable.

The all-Sydney GF in 2016 was their worst nightmare. The umpires made sure it didn't happen, then made sure a Sydney team didn't win on the day.

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
So with the Bombers looking like a bottom 6 team this year would you guys be keen on trading Taranto to them for a top 6 pick at the end of the year and free up some salary cap space to sign on Green and Bruhn? I’d think that is fair compensation for Taranto, maybe if they end Up with a top 3 pick we could throw in Bobby Hill.
just trying to work out a way we can get Coniglio off the books. Do you think he would be a good coach? 👀

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Any more info on that Dusty move?

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
The most important thing to secure the club is on-field success.

There was a sense of expectation around us that came to fruition in 2016. It hasn't happened for the Suns and maybe never will.

But we haven't been top 4 since 2017. The sense of expectation has gone, especially in the playing group, where it was obviously blown apart by COVID. In the meantime, we've seen the rise of Richmond, the Bulldogs, and Melbourne. Why them, and not us?

For me, the loss to a B-grade Richmond side a few weeks ago was a major red flag as to where we're at. Our list is pretty good but the motivation isn't there. I'm worried we might lose Green and a couple of the other young guns.

Something significant has to change. Leon doesn't seem to have the answers anymore, but I'm not sold on Hird as his replacement. We need someone else. I'm not sure who.

We have to persist playing at Giants Stadium, moving everything to Canberra would be a tragedy. We have a proud history at Homebush that we need to build on, not abandon.

No more derbies at the Olympic Stadium would be a good start. Sold out games at our own venue should be the priority.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
So with the Bombers looking like a bottom 6 team this year would you guys be keen on trading Taranto to them for a top 6 pick at the end of the year and free up some salary cap space to sign on Green and Bruhn? I’d think that is fair compensation for Taranto, maybe if they end Up with a top 3 pick we could throw in Bobby Hill.
just trying to work out a way we can get Coniglio off the books. Do you think he would be a good coach? 👀
Getting cogs off the books would be great long term

But the short term implications on culture and retention might be hard to swallow

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS

Maybe, but not sure I would want to put either McCartney or fellow fans thru the drama of dealing with Dororo again

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Getting cogs off the books would be great long term

But the short term implications on culture and retention might be hard to swallow
Agreed it could hurt that culture, but it could be a great move for both the club and Cogs himself especially if he can get back to West Coast or Fremantle And close to his family. He just looks completely devoid of confidence and or doesn’t have conviction in the game plan which would be hard to swallow being captain and not believing in the game style

I've completed warmed to the idea of private ownership. I think now more than ever we're in need of it.

We need private ownership to come in and help the club grow - internally and externally. I think there's still a lot to be desired from a game day experience. We're 10 years in and while our membership base has grown, we're still failing to fill up our own stadium and attracting new visitors on game day year-to-year.

The Sydney market has always been a tough one to crack for sports, so there's no formula for success that can be copied. But even as we stand today, free tickets are given out throughout the year and it's still not enough to get people to the game.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
One area I would like to see more clarity is the discrepancy between membership numbers and crowd numbers.

We claim about 30,000 members, but the average crowds at Homebush and Manuka pre-COVID were just over 10,000. Why such a large discrepancy? Giants Stadium has a capacity of 24,000, but hasn't sold out once. Where are all these members?

And I'll probably get shot for saying this, but since 2017 we seem to have invested a lot of time and energy in the AFLW for no apparent return.

I've no objection to the women's competition, but there needs to be a sense of proportion. AFL in Sydney is a niche concern, and the AFLW is a niche within a niche. And judging by attendee numbers, it's a very small niche.

The men's competition is our flagship product. Perhaps we should spend appropriate time and resources getting it right.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Maybe, but not sure I would want to put either McCartney or fellow fans thru the drama of dealing with Dororo again
Dodoro might not still be there!

Not sure they want another slow inside mid that can’t kick, they have their share of those.

He is high character, has a massive tank, is hard working and gets the ball, North Melbourne could use him, Hawthorn need someone in that age bracket, Collingwood and maybe even Geelong might consider him as they have some age in their experienced mids.

Whatever we do we should try to bring in future picks and improve our position for next year, the 2023 draft talent is mint.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
We have to persist playing at Giants Stadium, moving everything to Canberra would be a tragedy. We have a proud history at Homebush that we need to build on, not abandon.
I agree with this. I'm from Canberra, and love my 4 games of footy live per year, (plus all the trips to watch @ Homebush), but Canberra isn't a big enough market to play any more home games than 3-4. Its corporate wealth footprint is small, unless it's a University sponsoring you.
Have to persist with Sydney.
The problem with Sydney is
1). All the resident AFL fans, and relocated southern state fans in the city, had already switched allegiance to the Swans before 2011. So GWS had to make fans mostly of non-followers of the code. A massive ask!
2). This will take time. The greater western Sydney polyglot of peoples are way more familiar with soccer, and even the western Sydney soccer team, last time that I noticed, doesn't attract massive crowds.
Canberra will attract casual support in plenty, (Raiders fans are also Brumbies fans), but it will take time to gather die-hard support, and both League & Union will do everything to have clashing fixtures. (They'll play dirty). The time for Canberra was the 60's & 70's, which wasn't in VFL thinking back then.
Maybe hiring some marketing guru will help spread the message into the West.
Just look how the club song went viral before the 2019 GF.

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
One area I would like to see more clarity is the discrepancy between membership numbers and crowd numbers.

We claim about 30,000 members, but the average crowds at Homebush and Manuka pre-COVID were just over 10,000. Why such a large discrepancy? Giants Stadium has a capacity of 24,000, but hasn't sold out once. Where are all these members?

And I'll probably get shot for saying this, but since 2017 we seem to have invested a lot of time and energy in the AFLW for no apparent return.

I've no objection to the women's competition, but there needs to be a sense of proportion. AFL in Sydney is a niche concern, and the AFLW is a niche within a niche. And judging by attendee numbers, it's a very small niche.

The men's competition is our flagship product. Perhaps we should spend appropriate time and resources getting it right.

OMG I was just about to post almost word for word what you posted. Thanks for saving me the effort haha

The crowd v members issue has bugged me for the last 4 years. I think they are a lie. They just can’t possibly be true: 30k members and 5k at a game. People just don’t buy memberships and then not go at all. I think the numbers are made up to cover the much lower than expected membership numbers.

If this is actually the case that is very wrong.

I am a foundation member and have been to 90% of the giants home games since inception, but something needs to be done. Because even in our GF year the crowds were crap and no where near what a club with 30,000 should pull.

I so desperately want this club to succeed, but I think the people at the helm currently are not the ones to do it

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
OMG I was just about to post almost word for word what you posted. Thanks for saving me the effort haha

The crowd v members issue has bugged me for the last 4 years. I think they are a lie. They just can’t possibly be true: 30k members and 5k at a game. People just don’t buy memberships and then not go at all. I think the numbers are made up to cover the much lower than expected membership numbers.

If this is actually the case that is very wrong.

I am a foundation member and have been to 90% of the giants home games since inception, but something needs to be done. Because even in our GF year the crowds were crap and no where near what a club with 30,000 should pull.

I so desperately want this club to succeed, but I think the people at the helm currently are not the ones to do it

To be fair Richmond has 100k and is averaging what? 30k?
A lot has to do with people having 3 game memberships and also Canberra or Sydney memberships.

But yeah a lot are given to schools and I’m fairly certain the family membership is down as 4 people even if you have 3.

Back