Future of the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Over the last ten-fifteen years, North have put forward plenty of innovative ideas to try and survive in the AFL, and most have been successful and even enhanced the code to such an extent that other clubs have since run with our ideas. Friday Night Football, and playing games interstate are just two examples. But one area we haven't "modernised" is our badge/emblem/logo. It been the same for as long as I can remember, and I think now is the time to give it a more up-to-date look. One of the minor reasons why we weren't successful in Sydney, is whenever Sydneysiders see our badge, they see the word MELBOURNE. What a turn off when you are trying to attract a new audience, especially in Sydney where Melbournians are seen as second class Australians.
If we want to make the Canberra games a success, change the badge, change the attitude of the coach and players, and make the Canberra supporters feel a part of the club.

Devo,

I think North Melbourne changed its name to the North Kangaroos not long ago, with the push into the Sydney market a major consideration. The doggies were in a similar position, in changing our name to the Western Bulldogs in order to be able to associate ourselves with a greater market. Whether this change has had a significant impact for us is unmeasurable, and I would imagine the same would go for the Roos.

We (especially after the arrival of Wallace), much like yourselves, have had to be innovators in the AFL, and in our case, it has certainly been through necessity. Whether 'innovating' in emblem/jersey design will change anything is debatable. I think your emblem is fine, although agreed, sometimes a new "more refined/modern" emblem can be beneficial in geting younger supporters involved.

Now in regards to chaging the attitude of the players and coach for games in Canberra, i don't know what u mean by that exactly. Denis Pagan and co are as professional as anyone in the AFL, and i think their attitudes towards any match would be exlemprary. But if you were implying a greater role in the marketing etc., of course it will be involved as with the Doggies in Sydney (i.e clinnics etc), but on field commitments must take precedence IMO, and they shouldn't be distracted.

I agree though, the Canberra public should be encouraged to back the team as much as possible, and marketing plays an important role in this.

[This message has been edited by Westy Boy (edited 13 November 2000).]

Westy Boy,
My complaint about the coaches and players is they have never truly embraced the changes made. The club was seen as making a positive step towards increasing AFL awarness in Sydney, yet the players and coaches continued to call the club North Melbourne, which was a little bit insulting, especially to the Sydney Media, and the Kangaroos supporters in Sydney.
My complaint about the badge was that for such a forward thinking club, we are the only one that still has the same badge they had in 1976. Everybody has gone for a more stylish, modern badge and we still have the same boring one. And it has the word MELBOURNE in it.

A little different but the roos keep saying they are Australia's club. Yet the sydney/ACT deal has meant a corresponding number of games less in other areas (WA,SA,Qld not to mention Melbourne) This doesn't sit well.

Please refer to my 'two horse' theory. I think the kangas are riding both the sydney and melbourne horses for all they are worth. What appears like double standards (coach and players referring to North melbourne) could be a calculated way to do this.

North will continue to ride the two horses until either:

1) One or the other proves likely to sustain them in future - if that happens, the other will be discarded

2) One horse dies off - there will be no alternative than to get onto the other one completely

Maybe we could look at playing games in Tassie.

I hope the new Tassie team is called Mania , go the tassie manias. I like it. And it beats being named after an Italian seafood pasta dish.
The Tassie Marinara's is nothing short of ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back