Future of the WRFL

Remove this Banner Ad

They would have been waiting a while.

Based on your theory, you would be happy for the WRFL to forgo $40/$50K in affiliation fees (ex Umpire & insurance costs) by getting rid of those Junior clubs that don't have seniors with WRFL.

The last time I looked, the WRFL were a Senior AND Junior comp. Based on your logic, no seniors, no juniors, then it should also be no juniors, no seniors. Maybe this would encourage those Senior only clubs to try and get juniors, like Lavo who are at least having ago.

Also, at least all these Junior only clubs are paid up, unlike some of the Senior only clubs that I understand still have outstanding monies owing.

I think the prevailing evidence is without juniors clubs will eventually fold and/or struggle so having both is indeed my point.

I’d hope that by the WRFL among a stand, as all comps should, that the seniors and juniors would fall into line and play in the same comp as they should.

Big sign on the Western Highway with Rockbank pleading for financial help. What are the admin fees like in the RDFL compared to the WRFL?

Big sign on the Western Highway with Rockbank pleading for financial help. What are the admin fees like in the RDFL compared to the WRFL?

Would it matter, if you have financial trouble it is bloody hard to get out of it. Maybe need to do a Glenorden just shut shop fro 12 months reset for another 12 months with a different business model.

Hope Rockbank can hang on and they make the correct call on their future but to me they need divisional football to stabilise. Not sure why they are risking their future by trying to compete in the RDFL which appears to be beyond their resources.

Hope Rockbank can hang on and they make the correct call on their future but to me they need divisional football to stabilise. Not sure why they are risking their future by trying to compete in the RDFL which appears to be beyond their resources.
Was thinking surely they'd be more suited to WRFL and div 3

If I was in charge down at WRFL HQ
I’d be looking at inviting at least 2 clubs into Div 1 but changing the name to Premier League and keep the teams that are currently in there for now for a total of 12 teams. New clubs Darley and Bacchus Marsh. Clubs would play 22 H/A with top 5 finals.

Invite Melton South and Melton into the second division with the other current 8 clubs. Clubs would play 18 H/A with top four finals.

3rd Division would see the current 7 clubs plus the addition of Rockbank, Diggers Rest or Melton Centrals.
Clubs play 17 rounds which would consist of 14 H/A plus 3 random chosen 3rd div clubs with top four finals.

I’d be looking at inviting at least 2 clubs into Div 1 but changing the name to Premier League and keep the teams that are currently in there for now for a total of 12 teams. New clubs Darley and Bacchus Marsh. Clubs would play 22 H/A with top 5 finals.

Invite Melton South and Melton into the second division with the other current 8 clubs. Clubs would play 18 H/A with top four finals.

3rd Division would see the current 7 clubs plus the addition of Rockbank, Diggers Rest or Melton Centrals.
Clubs play 17 rounds which would consist of 14 H/A plus 3 random chosen 3rd div clubs with top four finals.

Divy 1 or Premier league, whats the different, just a name.

its not that easy to get teams to come over to your league, pretty sure they will need quite a few incentatives. There juniors would need to come with senior team.

Rockbank Vs North Sunny, could be a nil all draw.

Divy 1 or Premier league, whats the different, just a name.

its not that easy to get teams to come over to your league, pretty sure they will need quite a few incentatives. There juniors would need to come with senior team.

Rockbank Vs North Sunny, could be a nil all draw.

I realise it’s just a name but to sponsors it portrays a better image.

Of course it’s hard but unless you actually talk to them and go and visit them you can’t explore those angles.

Hopefully by bringing in clubs that aren’t going to well in the leagues they currently are in they could do better by being involved in a Metro league.

Small issues like juniors and the netball teams can be worked out down the track.
The main thing that the wrfl should be doing is trying to have a minimum of 30 viable senior clubs.

Diggers would be better suited to division 2 and would most likely end up in div 1.

Diggers Rest in div 3...…….PLEASE....easily a div 1 club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I realise it’s just a name but to sponsors it portrays a better image.

Of course it’s hard but unless you actually talk to them and go and visit them you can’t explore those angles.

Hopefully by bringing in clubs that aren’t going to well in the leagues they currently are in they could do better by being involved in a Metro league.

Small issues like juniors and the netball teams can be worked out down the track.
The main thing that the wrfl should be doing is trying to have a minimum of 30 viable senior clubs.

Having a fully functional netball comp which mirrors the timings of the footy matches. Would be a great and attractive carrot to get across the BFL/RDFL sides across. Those clubs mentioned are all strong ‘sporting‘ clubs which have a netball teams which strongly contribute to the overall fabric of these clubs. I suspect that this one of the reasons not many clubs have not desired to join the WRFL of late.

Diggers would be better suited to division 2 and would most likely end up in div 1.
Diggers Rest in div 3...…….PLEASE....easily a div 1 club

How I added them to the divisions I did at the end of the day does it matter where they come in or end up?
Just add them.

Having a fully functional netball comp which mirrors the timings of the footy matches. Would be a great and attractive carrot to get across the BFL/RDFL sides across. Those clubs mentioned are all strong ‘sporting‘ clubs which have a netball teams which strongly contribute to the overall fabric of these clubs. I suspect that this one of the reasons not many clubs have not desired to join the WRFL of late.

Understand there are some real issues along those lines but I would assume that if the WRFL got clubs, especially 1st div for a start it could be easier to transition.

Heard a funny one when I ran into an old mate recently. Apparently there will be another club based out of Blackshaws Road within the next couple of years. Anyone else heard about this?

Heard a funny one when I ran into an old mate recently. Apparently there will be another club based out of Blackshaws Road within the next couple of years. Anyone else heard about this?

Are you talking about Central Atona’s old ground?
Too many teams are on it already.

Are you talking about Central Atona’s old ground?
Too many teams are on it already.
Yeah. From what I hear its members of the cricket club who are thinking about starting a footy club. Could be a load of crock but its just what ive heard on the grapevine.

Yeah. From what I hear its members of the cricket club who are thinking about starting a footy club. Could be a load of crock but its just what ive heard on the grapevine.

They’ll have a hard time getting around Willy’s Masters, they have four I think plus the women train there as well??

Unless they use the top oval?
Who is the cricket there?

Council spending several million $ upgrading the facilities at Croft Reserve so could be the catalyst for a new club. Think the WRFL would be a bit hesitant given how ugly it got at Central Altona in the end in 2007.

Was at a mates place in Truganina recently and i reckon i drove past six brand new footy grounds with modern clubrooms. Unsure what the council are thinking out there by putting that many in. Probably for the exclusive use of cricket. I know the area is saturated with footy clubs Wyndham Suns, Truganina, Westbourne, Tarneit etc but it would be worth a Laverton or another struggling side possibly relocating out there? They have not had a junior program for 15 years, maybe its time to bite the bullet and try something drastic for the long term benefit of the club. Laverton used as an example.

Was at a mates place in Truganina recently and i reckon i drove past six brand new footy grounds with modern clubrooms. Unsure what the council are thinking out there by putting that many in. Probably for the exclusive use of cricket. I know the area is saturated with footy clubs Wyndham Suns, Truganina, Westbourne, Tarneit etc but it would be worth a Laverton or another struggling side possibly relocating out there? They have not had a junior program for 15 years, maybe its time to bite the bullet and try something drastic for the long term benefit of the club. Laverton used as an example.
Why not start up a Junior section out of there and have seniors at Merton Street. Use it as a feeder and training base.

Clubs like Werribee Centrals, Rockbank, Melton Centrals, Bacchus Marsh, Melton, Darley, Melton South, Burnside Heights, Taylors Lakes, Lara and Williamstown CYMS should all be approached to come into the fold in Seniors (and hopefully Juniors). Sure, most are going to say no, but throw your hat in the ring, and look for further expansion. The RDFNL is looking very shaky at the moment with Rockbank being questioned, Broadford already leaving to join the AFLOE (I think?), and a couple of the top fish talking strongly to the EDFL about a 2021 move to that league. In future there will be additions like Truganina Thunder to the Seniors, and expansion clubs come in some of the newer areas, who can all eventually transition to Seniors as well.

This is only food for thought, and also not overly expansive on each point, so don't get too worked up at what I have said, LOL. The next 5-10 years there will be a lot of upheaval in the Leagues in the outer lying areas of Melbourne, AFL Vic needs it this way, and they will get what they want. Being at the forefront of this can only be a good thing, better to ride the wave, than to get swamped by it.

Werribee Centrals will stay in the G&DFL - they have always said it is the better option and easier to get players.

Lara is geographically suited to G&DFL if they wanted to drop out of the GFL. Traveling it play WRFL would decimate their playing stocks I reckon.

Rockbank are a year to year proposition at present but would only join if RDFNL folds.

Burnside Heights and Taylors Lakes wouldn't want to move from EDFL and Melton Centrals would be more likely to play EDFL than WRFL if they moved given this fact and that East Sunbury and Sunbury Kangaroos have moved there in recent years.

Bacchus Marsh, Melton, Darley, Melton South are only interested in playing in the Ballarat league

Williamstown CYMS are in the higher levels of the VAFA and would be more interested in trying to get into A Grade rather than play WRFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back