Future of the WRFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Been suggested they arnt interested

Parents wouldn’t be prepared to drive there kids that far for training. (I certainly wouldn’t) when you have other clubs so close.
Also too many clubs around Tarneit, Suns and now thunder that are still trying to find there feet,
The key I think for Juniours is trying to tap into the cricket living nations to come across to AFL.
Get them and your going in the right direction!

Parents wouldn’t be prepared to drive there kids that far for training. (I certainly wouldn’t) when you have other clubs so close.
Also too many clubs around Tarneit, Suns and now thunder that are still trying to find there feet,
The key I think for Juniours is trying to tap into the cricket living nations to come across to AFL.
Get them and your going in the right direction!

They were offered facilities in Williams Landing and imo should have jumped all over it. There are no kids in lavo it’s an aged demographic. They have missed that boat now

From Lavo to the suns or titans is at least a 20 min run and that’s in good traffic.

unfortunately the name “laverton” has hurt then for a long time and continues to do so to this day. Parents from Alt meadows prefer to drive to Altona or PC than let their kids play at Merton St which is a shame because like all clubs it has some good people that work hard and are really trying. It also has the other side but there are not many clubs that have a completely squeaky clean record.

If can't be arsed is their answer they deserve the fate they have
Hate to agree because I played a lot of footy down there but I will absolutely agree with you ...
If anyone had any sort of brains they would've seen this coming 20 years ago and should have made the move then.

The seniors have played 2 finals series in 20 years, no juniors, they have a womens team which is great but the future is very bleek.

Hate to agree because I played a lot of footy down there but I will absolutely agree with you ...
If anyone had any sort of brains they would've seen this coming 20 years ago and should have made the move then.

The seniors have played 2 finals series in 20 years, no juniors, they have a womens team which is great but the future is very bleek.
I think you will find the future is bleak for a lot of clubs in various different comps... Not the clubs fault , it's just not sustainable for all clubs to be viable

I think there is too many senior sides and not enough people interested anymore, volunteers are the biggest issue,

I think your clubs juniors have a better looking future than the senior men’s do unfortunately.

They were offered facilities in Williams Landing and imo should have jumped all over it. There are no kids in lavo it’s an aged demographic. They have missed that boat now

From Lavo to the suns or titans is at least a 20 min run and that’s in good traffic.

unfortunately the name “laverton” has hurt then for a long time and continues to do so to this day. Parents from Alt meadows prefer to drive to Altona or PC than let their kids play at Merton St which is a shame because like all clubs it has some good people that work hard and are really trying. It also has the other side but there are not many clubs that have a completely squeaky clean record.

Have lived in Merton Street and still in the area and have often dropped in to watch some footy at Lavo.

Not sure about the aged demographic, there are 5 primary schools in the Altona Meadows / Laverton area so the kids are there. Hopefully they can build on their new U10 side from 2019.

Think the "Laverton" name is hurting them, they are based in Altona Meadows why not change? The Altona Meadows Primary is right next door, the opportunity is there to tap in. History is great but not if it's hurting you.

Have lived in Merton Street and still in the area and have often dropped in to watch some footy at Lavo.

Not sure about the aged demographic, there are 5 primary schools in the Altona Meadows / Laverton area so the kids are there. Hopefully they can build on their new U10 side from 2019.

Think the "Laverton" name is hurting them, they are based in Altona Meadows why not change? The Altona Meadows Primary is right next door, the opportunity is there to tap in. History is great but not if it's hurting you.
Whether its Laverton or Altona Meadows it wouldnt make a difference i think. If the culture does not change, then that is the issue. From what it looks like they have some good people in there right now trying to make some changes. Hopefully that is reflected in on field results this season and beyond.

They have two very good Div 1 clubs Point Cook and Altona with good strong Junior programs up the road, you would drive the extra 10 mins to get your kids into these clubs. The reality is even if they managed to get U10s up they chances of these kids sticking with the club till seniors is very slim, good kids will leave to go to the stronger clubs.

I give them 5 years max to be NON existent, unfortunately

They need someone with some Ticker and who has some way of getting some money and learn how to run a club properly!

They have two very good Div 1 clubs Point Cook and Altona with good strong Junior programs up the road, you would drive the extra 10 mins to get your kids into these clubs. The reality is even if they managed to get U10s up they chances of these kids sticking with the club till seniors is very slim, good kids will leave to go to the stronger clubs.
So say they get 1 u/10 team up, then another, then in 5 years time have 4 or 5 sides, bIt of extra people around, better volunteers, bit of revenue, can invest in a few more players, build sponsors, as there is more pupils there, seniors improve as people might actually go there, people might actually want to go watch their clubs play at Lavo, as it's gonna be a good game, people start hanging round having a beer.
10 years time you might have 10 junior sides, and maybe if your lucky have 1 or 2 of those kids play Senior footy.

So short sighted to think that "what's the point " having an u10's side. Sure you will lose some kids, but if you have nothing, and do nothing to change that, then what are you left with.

Hard work yes? But so is watching a bunch of misfits get trashed by s**t football sides week in week out.

Why couldn't they run out of two facilities and try and capture a new audience in Truganina, if they are worried about confusion, go back to the Western Magpies. Lets be honest, changing name back to Laverton has had very little effect anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So say they get 1 u/10 team up, then another, then in 5 years time have 4 or 5 sides, bIt of extra people around, better volunteers, bit of revenue, can invest in a few more players, build sponsors, as there is more pupils there, seniors improve as people might actually go there, people might actually want to go watch their clubs play at Lavo, as it's gonna be a good game, people start hanging round having a beer.
10 years time you might have 10 junior sides, and maybe if your lucky have 1 or 2 of those kids play Senior footy.

So short sighted to think that "what's the point " having an u10's side. Sure you will lose some kids, but if you have nothing, and do nothing to change that, then what are you left with.

Hard work yes? But so is watching a bunch of misfits get trashed by s**t football sides week in week out.

Why couldn't they run out of two facilities and try and capture a new audience in Truganina, if they are worried about confusion, go back to the Western Magpies. Lets be honest, changing name back to Laverton has had very little effect anyway.

But it made the 3 or 4 odd life members happy to have the name back that they played under.

that’s why it was changed back and I feel the same reason they continue to struggle holding onto the past is slowly killing them.

Truly hope they dig their way out but I have grave fears now

But it made the 3 or 4 odd life members happy to have the name back that they played under.

that’s why it was changed back and I feel the same reason they continue to struggle holding onto the past is slowly killing them.

Truly hope they dig their way out but I have grave fears now

What club do you think is in better shape.
Norm Sunshine or Lavo.

I would say the Roadrunners are in better shape on/off field,
Roadrunners will have Lavos measure on field this year

Norm Sunshine or Lavo.

Both are in terrible situations ..

I agree with the above posts. Laverton are in big trouble and I dont think they'll last, however ive been saying that for the last 10 years and yet they still manage to field senior sides when teams like Glenorden and Manor Lakes have shut up during that time.

Norm Sunshine or Lavo.

Nth Sunny have no juniors do theY or a women’s team. But I could be wrong. Think Lavo are in a slightly better space!

Both are in terrible situations ..

I agree with the above posts. Laverton are in big trouble and I dont think they'll last, however ive been saying that for the last 10 years and yet they still manage to field senior sides when teams like Glenorden and Manor Lakes have shut up during that time.
Great post

Darley Football Netball Club are looking for new players for their under 19 boys team. Membership will be half price, socks and shorts provided. Training will be Tuesday and Thursday nights from 6:15pm. If you are thinking of playing and want to be guaranteed a game please call club president Mark Shelly 0418 518 862

Suddenly this thread becomes pretty relevant again

Anyone got thoughts on what the future of the WRFL looks like when this virus passes over?

Do we see certain clubs not making it through?

Suddenly this thread becomes pretty relevant again

Anyone got thoughts on what the future of the WRFL looks like when this virus passes over?

Do we see certain clubs not making it through?

I don't think $ is the major problem here - if you're not playing, you are not paying. What is the biggest risk is that players may get into the habit of not playing, maybe find other pursuits, and not go back. Biggest risk areas are juniors and some reserve grade footballers who could take it or leave it.

I think the WRFL should seriously consider relaxing the financial penalties for a few years where clubs cannot field reserve sides particularly outside of Division 1.

It will take the WRFL and other metro / country leagues a long time to get back to strength, but the WRFL will survive and I expect most clubs will too.

I don't think $ is the major problem here - if you're not playing, you are not paying. What is the biggest risk is that players may get into the habit of not playing, maybe find other pursuits, and not go back. Biggest risk areas are juniors and some reserve grade footballers who could take it or leave it.

I think the WRFL should seriously consider relaxing the financial penalties for a few years where clubs cannot field reserve sides particularly outside of Division 1.

It will take the WRFL and other metro / country leagues a long time to get back to strength, but the WRFL will survive and I expect most clubs will too.

Leagues should give clubs slack with reserves football over the next few years - I can see leagues making reserves football non-compulsory upon resumption for at least two years unless the player numbers bounce back strongly enough.

A number of country leagues may go reserves-free.

Leagues should give clubs slack with reserves football over the next few years - I can see leagues making reserves football non-compulsory upon resumption for at least two years unless the player numbers bounce back strongly enough.

A number of country leagues may go reserves-free.
It’s a good idea to allow some compassion but they should be notified prior to the season. What if a club has good numbers and scheduled to play then opposing club forfeits on the Thursday before the game. That won’t be good either.

Being a former VAFA player and now follower, I am on the outside looking in, however living in the district, I do have an interest in local footy.

Perhaps it’s time for our two regional football competitions the have a chat. Yes, I’m suggesting dialogue between WRFL and EDFL to formulate a hybrid competition for 2021 (and possibly for 2022).

I understand that Essendon won’t allow clubs into their sphere if they are not promoting/teaching/developing junior footballers. Mercenaries are therefore, in the main, trimmed.

Essendon also won’t allow junior teams to play in their competition if their senior teams are in another competition, viz PEGS (VAFA with juniors welcome in the WRFL), Therry Penola (VAFA with their juniors happily in NFNL). There are other examples of which we are all aware concerning both of our local competitions.

Perhaps the hierarchies of both of our local competitions could broaden their outlook thus supporting all local teams, both junior and senior. It would be a great opportunity as other codes are watching and ever ready to swoop.

Examples: -

The higher divisions of the newly proclaimed NWFA [for the want of a suitable acronym] (NorthWest Football Alliance) to consist of clubs with junior teams.

Lower divisions to consist of clubs without juniors, no promotion to the higher 3 or 4 divisions until that club has a viable junior pathway.

Clubs without juniors to have their own promotion/relegation within their own sections.

Juniors to be run either as WRFL, EDFL (or a combine).

After the 2nd year, the two competitions would split back into their former competitions, or if it works and everybody’s happy, just leave it.

They would have been waiting a while.

Based on your theory, you would be happy for the WRFL to forgo $40/$50K in affiliation fees (ex Umpire & insurance costs) by getting rid of those Junior clubs that don't have seniors with WRFL.

The last time I looked, the WRFL were a Senior AND Junior comp. Based on your logic, no seniors, no juniors, then it should also be no juniors, no seniors. Maybe this would encourage those Senior only clubs to try and get juniors, like Lavo who are at least having ago.

Also, at least all these Junior only clubs are paid up, unlike some of the Senior only clubs that I understand still have outstanding monies owing.

WRFL wouldn’t touch this

All it would do is highlight the difference in Quality in nearly every aspect from team quality to off field organisation to juniors.

I’m a WRFL boy through as through but I’m also a realist and if you did this the WRFL wouldn’t even get close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back