Future of the WRFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Just reading the Juniors bit and thought, why doesn’t the league approach some of the western sided clubs in the Yarra Juniors?

Brunswick NOBS play in Parkville
North Brunswick
Fitzroy (who do have a tie to Whitten Oval)
Fitzroy is "western sided"??

If the doggies spent more money then I think the return on investment would be worth it. Personally i dont see much promotion from them other than around the Footscray area. They need to push there focus further west towards Werribee as that is where the real growth lies not only for them but for the future of the game in the area.
wouldn't Werribee be closer to Geelong?

Any news of any new clubs starting up or looking to move to our competition?
As mentioned previously there was rumours of a club starting up at Altona North (Crofts Reserve) but havent heard much recently, possibly COVID had something to do with it.

Any news of any new clubs starting up or looking to move to our competition?
As mentioned previously there was rumours of a club starting up at Altona North (Crofts Reserve) but havent heard much recently, possibly COVID had something to do with it.

Sizzled out mate, keep an ear out halfway through this season.
Manor Lakes heard rumours they may ask the league to have a seniors Div3 only side next season??

Sizzled out mate, keep an ear out halfway through this season.
Manor Lakes heard rumours they may ask the league to have a seniors Div3 only side next season??
They are doing a really good job on building Juniors, with top age being U14s, be patient, get these kids to U18s build a bank to add seniors around them. Seniors aren't required at clubs anymore, they are just a cash drain.

They are doing a really good job on building Juniors, with top age being U14s, be patient, get these kids to U18s build a bank to add seniors around them. Seniors aren't required at clubs anymore, they are just a cash drain.

Agree. Need to wait until Juniors come thru, same as Carolyn Springs & Point Cook did 17 years ago and now they are Div 1. Those recent clubs who started with both Juniors & Seniors, Manor Lakes, Tarneit, Wyndham Suns & PC Central (correct me if I'm wrong), with the exception of PC Centrals, are still in Div 3 or non existent.

Thought it be a good time to kick this thread back to life,

With all the rumours around Deer Park and St Albans switching across to the EDFL where do we see the league heading across both senior and junior levels?

Will we see any more teams leave or possibly even join in next couple of years?

Thought it be a good time to kick this thread back to life,

With all the rumours around Deer Park and St Albans switching across to the EDFL where do we see the league heading across both senior and junior levels?

Will we see any more teams leave or possibly even join in next couple of years?
The comp will move further west into the werribee, Point cook, tarneit. Probably see more clubs out of the inner west leave the comp

The comp will move further west into the werribee, Point cook, tarneit. Probably see more clubs out of the inner west leave the comp
Tend to agree, eventually there will be a Werribee / outer west league and all inner west clubs yarraville side of the Westgate freeway transition to the EDFL.

Tend to agree, eventually there will be a Werribee / outer west league and all inner west clubs yarraville side of the Westgate freeway transition to the EDFL.
Unfortunately with the EDFL expanding up the Calder I don’t see them taking many. Most likely pick the strong clubs and your braybrooks of the world get left in limbo

Not sure this will be the case given the experiences of Manor Lakes and to a lesser extent Tarniet the growth in the outer west is pretty much exhausted as the demographics do not support this.

The inner West has some good growth coming through though possibly not for the amount of teams.

The EDFL is not the pancea as is sometimes talked about with significant issues there to.

A consolidated WRFL with less clubs, yet stronger clubs is a more likely scenario. However, this will require better direction fro AFL Vitoria to the WRFL and not have KPI's based on the number of senior teams but on the quality of senior teams

Hey guys, this is going to sound like a really noob question, but can somebody please explain to me how promotion and relegation works in this league between divisions 1, 2 and 3?

I've recently moved to the area, potentially looking to link up with one of the Sunshine teams for next season, both of which are in division 3 I see.

I'm assuming that teams are promoted by winning the grand final and relegated by finishing last on the ladder?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Latest Wyndham council newsletter shows the exponential growth out this side (from 217000 to 292000 in 5 years) and the population breakdown. Half the residents are born overseas, 51000 from India, 9500 from NZ, 7500 from China (plus lots of others). 49.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home. Point Cook has a similar breakdown with even more born overseas, the majority from India but China running second.

These guys aren't flocking to local footy clubs. Well, they do, but not to play footy. As I've lamented in the past, it'll be windy and raining in June and the club be scratching to field junior teams, but the cricket nets will be in constant use by Indian kids and their dads, from early morning until after the final siren for the seniors. Concrete or astroturf cricket pitches on other ovals have organised or unofficial games on them year round. (Thinking of the three ovals alongside Laverton's ground.) You can't pitch footy as the sport cricketers play in winter, because the cricketers don't take a break. Soccer and rugby are going great guns.

You can shuffle deckchairs all you want, but you can't argue with demographics and force people to play. You have to make the clubs attractive enough to draw people in who otherwise wouldn't consider Aussie Rules for their kids.

Unfortunately with the EDFL expanding up the Calder I don’t see them taking many. Most likely pick the strong clubs and your braybrooks of the world get left in limbo
I agree with this, could see a club like Caroline Springs making the switch, as they already have 3 EDFL clubs (and a possible 2 more if DP/St Albans move) on their door step, but besides that I couldn't really see any other clubs in that area being taken by the EDFL.

Hey guys, this is going to sound like a really noob question, but can somebody please explain to me how promotion and relegation works in this league between divisions 1, 2 and 3?

I've recently moved to the area, potentially looking to link up with one of the Sunshine teams for next season, both of which are in division 3 I see.

I'm assuming that teams are promoted by winning the grand final and relegated by finishing last on the ladder?

Most of the time the premiers of the lower Divisions would move up to the division above and the bottom placed side would be relegated down.

However, some clubs would request to not go up due to multiple reasons, and some clubs even request to go down, I actually don't really know what goes on when that happens, I could be completely wrong so we'll need someone else to confirm this.

Most of the time the premiers of the lower Divisions would move up to the division above and the bottom placed side would be relegated down.

However, some clubs would request to not go up due to multiple reasons, and some clubs even request to go down, I actually don't really know what goes on when that happens, I could be completely wrong so we'll need someone else to confirm this.
I only ask because I've recently moved to the area, St Albans, and I'm looking for a club to join up with next season.

It's been a few years and a couple of drinks since I've last played, so I'm probably not good enough for division 1 or 2 reserve football, so I would probably be looking for a club in division 3.

I was looking at Sunshine North, Sunshine Heights, Braybrook and Albanvale.

I was under the assumption that because Albanvale reserves won their grand final, they would be promoted. But when I reached out to Braybrook, they told me that even though their reserves got walloped in the preliminary, because they're seniors won their grand final, their reserves are automatically promoted.

Which kind of sucks if you are Albanvale, all that hard work to get to the grand final and win it, and you get nothing from it because your seniors team didn't.

Funnily enough of all the teams I've reached out to, Sunshine North have by far been the most interested in having me come out for a run with them.

Last edited:
I only ask because I've recently moved to the area, St Albans, and I'm looking for a club to join up with next season.

It's been a few years and a couple of drinks since I've last played, so I'm probably not good enough for division 1 or 2 reserve football, so I would probably be looking for a club in division 3.

I was looking at Sunshine North, Sunshine Heights, Braybrook and Albanvale.

I was under the assumption that because Albanvale reserves won their grand final, they would be promoted. But when I reached out to Braybrook, they told me that even though their reserves got walloped in the preliminary, because they're seniors won their grand final, their reserves are automatically promoted.

Which kind of sucks if you are Albanvale, all that hard work to get to the grand final and win it, and you get nothing from it because your seniors team didn't.

Funnily enough of all the teams I've reached out to, Sunshine North have by far been the most interested in having me come out for a run with them.

Sunshine Heights and Albanvale are your best bets mate. You’ll always get a game at North Sunshine but it isn’t the most desirable club at the moment.

Sunshine Heights and Albanvale are your best bets mate. You’ll always get a game at North Sunshine but it isn’t the most desirable club at the moment.
Yeah, I've had a read on the other thread and I'm aware of what people have to say about North Sunshine as a club. A lot of it appears to be completely blown out of proportion, especially with people saying that the "entire club needs to be bulldozed" and labelling it a "club full of c*nts".

The kind of thing I would expect from hooded youths, not so much from so called adults.

I'll definitely keep the others in mind, but like I said, so far, North Sunshine are the only team that has actually reached out to me a phone call. Their head coach rang me the other day and we had a good chat. Can't be that bad of a club if they're willing to take time out of their day to talk to someone that might not even end up playing for them.

Yeah, I've had a read on the other thread and I'm aware of what people have to say about North Sunshine as a club. A lot of it appears to be completely blown out of proportion, especially with people saying that the "entire club needs to be bulldozed" and labelling it a "club full of c*nts".

The kind of thing I would expect from hooded youths, not so much from so called adults.

I'll definitely keep the others in mind, but like I said, so far, North Sunshine are the only team that has actually reached out to me a phone call. Their head coach rang me the other day and we had a good chat. Can't be that bad of a club if they're willing to take time out of their day to talk to someone that might not even end up playing for them.

Mate go down for a run at preseason and if you like it keep going back

Good luck for the year, sounds like you love your footy

Can you fight or snipe someone 🤣🤣🤣

Most of us say we want these clubs to survive and improve. Discouraging players from going there can entrench the problem, particularly while there's no juniors coming through. You sound pretty level-headed; a few more like-minded guys join you and it could be exactly what they need.

Most of us say we want these clubs to survive and improve. Discouraging players from going there can entrench the problem, particularly while there's no juniors coming through. You sound pretty level-headed; a few more like-minded guys join you and it could be exactly what they need.
Well yeah, no, my point exactly. What is discouraging players from going to certain clubs just because you don't like how those clubs are operated or run actually doing for the wider competition as a whole?

I completely get the reputation that North Sunshine appears to have, I've seen the YouTube footage, I've seen the comments on Facebook, I've seen the comments on this forum, honestly, I get it.

But I've also seen the other side of the coin, the comments from 'North supporters' that reckon that Tarneit were just as bad, if not worse, and questioning why their club isn't being maligned like North is.

It's also been pointed out to me that Division 3 as a whole is a very, let's say, scrappy league, and that while pushing and shoving etc happens in just about every game, as it does in just about every league, actual full-blown fights are still uncommon, as they should be.

By the way, I'm not trying to justify the actions of anyone on the field that day, I wasn't there and I can only go by what I've seen and what I've been told.

But some of the things that are being said do seem extremely harsh, and definitely do appear to be coming from a place of bias.

As I said, the representative from North that reached out to me was nothing but polite and positive. He did admit that their club was in a rebuild at the moment and that it was probably going to take a few years for them to be competitive, but he extended a courtesy to me that other clubs that I've contacted are yet to.

So at the moment, that's all I've got to go on.

Last edited:
Well yeah, no, my point exactly. What is discouraging players from going to certain clubs just because you don't like how those clubs are operated or run actually doing for the wider competition as a whole?

I completely get the reputation that North Sunshine appears to have, I've seen the YouTube footage, I've seen the comments on Facebook, I've seen the comments on this forum, honestly, I get it.

But I've also seen the other side of the coin, the comments from 'North supporters' that reckon that Tarneit were just as bad, if not worse, and questioning why their club isn't being maligned like North is.

It's also been pointed out to me that Division 3 as a whole is a very, let's say, scrappy league, and that while pushing and shoving etc happens in just about every game, as it does in just about every league, actual full-blown fights are still uncommon, as they should be.

By the way, I'm not trying to justify the actions of anyone on the field that day, I wasn't there and I can only go by what I've seen and what I've been told.

But some of the things that are being said do seem extremely harsh, and definitely do appear to be coming from a place of bias.

As I said, the representative from North that reached out to me was nothing but polite and positive. He did admit that their club was in a rebuild at the moment and that it was probably going to take a few years for them to be competitive, but he extended a courtesy to me that other clubs that I've contacted are yet to.

So at the moment, that's all I've got to go on.

Mate you can only take people as you find them...it sounds like your first experience with North Sunshine was a positive one. I've only met a couple of folks from that club and they're good folks. And - looking at the footage online - it seems like the issues with North Sunshine and the stink versus Tarneit were pretty tame considering some of the things that went on back in the day. Have a run with them and make up your mind for yourself...we all know opinions are like a...eholes. We all have one!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back