Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
Not Sure - think its now at Blacktown - given NEAFL and AFL games are both at Spotless (they are worried 2 matches before the AFL would cut up surface to much because of rain).
These games aren't usually broadcast.
Am going down so will keep you posted....
Do you know if McDonald is a draft chance? I swear I remember someone saying he's a serious talent a year back. Seems decent when I've seen him play.

I remember games being on FoxFooty when I had mates playing states years ago. They need to provide coverage if they want to make the draft a bigger thing like in the US. Guys like me would froth over that.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
IMG_20180607_203730.jpg

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
Do you know if McDonald is a draft chance? I swear I remember someone saying he's a serious talent a year back. Seems decent when I've seen him play.

I remember games being on FoxFooty when I had mates playing states years ago. They need to provide coverage if they want to make the draft a bigger thing like in the US. Guys like me would froth over that.

IMO - Academy draft choices are Bailey Scott and the Big Guys (Graham / Koenen). Personally I'd take the Big Guys and then Bailey Scott (but that's not likely to happen given the circumstances - which doesn't mean anything at all).
Should have 3 Academy / Queensland players added to our main list next year.
McDonald and others could be rookied but need to perform in the champs.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Good to see underager Ashton Crossley (brother of Brayden) making his QAFL debut for the PBC seniors yesterday. He's still 16 so a game against grown men in the QAFL will be great for his development. Palmy are still undefeated after 7 games this year and are looking good things to go back-to-back this year.

In other academy news, our draft eligible boys Graham and Koenen were playing CHB and FB for the Allies in their upset win over Vic Country yesterday. Neither of them starred but being a part of a big win against a traditional powerhouse like Vic Country should do their confidence a world of good. I don't think Bailey Scott played.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Good to see underager Ashton Crossley (brother of Brayden) making his QAFL debut for the PBC seniors yesterday. He's still 16 so a game against grown men in the QAFL will be great for his development. Palmy are still undefeated after 7 games this year and are looking good things to go back-to-back this year.

In other academy news, our draft eligible boys Graham and Koenen were playing CHB and FB for the Allies in their upset win over Vic Country yesterday. Neither of them starred but being a part of a big win against a traditional powerhouse like Vic Country should do their confidence a world of good. I don't think Bailey Scott played.
I watched part of the game. I believe Scott played, number 19?

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast

Scott played - kicked 2 goals - but otherwise not prominent. Graham and Koenen put in tradesman like performances in defence.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/2018/06/10/scouting-notes-allies-vs-vic-country/
44 Caleb Graham
– Graham started the game at full-back and looked comfortable in defending of the ball flooding into the Allies defence early. Despite direct opponent Hudson Garoni finding space on the lead on a couple of occasions, the Gold Coast Suns Academy member was rarely beaten one-on-one or at ground level. He showed good desperation in the wet conditions and save the Allies’ blushes early on with spoils, tackles, and dives for the ball. With Garoni getting on top, Graham was moved to centre half forward in the third quarter and provided a reliable first option coming out of the midfield.

#48 Dirk Koenen – Playing largely in tandem with Baker, Koenen made his way to a good number of aerial contests down back, while doing his best to sweep the ball out of there. He had a few fumbly moments and slipped up a bit in the wet, but made good decisions by foot which proved important.

Lachlan McDonald – Seemed to fin the ball at half-forward and half-back. A long kick, he put it to dangerous areas deep, and also provided a target leading out of the forward 50. McDonald took a good mark running back with the flight in the third term with the backline under pressure

#19 Bailey Scott – Probably the Allies best in the first term, seemingly everywhere with a snap on goal which bounced through. He was clean at ground level, showed quick hands and put pressure on the opposition ball carrier. He was a little quieter later in the match, but laid some good tackles. Scott took a strong mark at half-forward but made a poor decision to handball to a teammate under pressure. He made up for it not long after, reading the ball drop off hands up forward and snapping a great goal.

25 Ryan Gilmore – Not a bad performance from the defender who attacks the contest hard. He produced a good spoil in the opening term, then smothered a shot on goal. He fended off an opponent not long after but his own kick was smothered. Gilmore is quick and is strong overhead. He is clean winning it at full speed and showed plenty of courage throughout the match.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Two things.

This result could be a turning point in QLD school footy. The 'Vale claimed victory over PBC's senior team this year. Are we about to see the emergence of another footy factory on the GC?

This tweet from Jeff White shows we have some juniors coming through with superstar bloodlines. Obviously we already know Marcus Ashcroft and Matthew Kennedy as former employees of our club but Darren Milane and Tony Lockett were superstars too. Jeff White wasn't bad either. Hopefully none of them relocate and they all stay in our academy!

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Two things.

This result could be a turning point in QLD school footy. The 'Vale claimed victory over PBC's senior team this year. Are we about to see the emergence of another footy factory on the GC?

This tweet from Jeff White shows we have some juniors coming through with superstar bloodlines. Obviously we already know Marcus Ashcroft and Matthew Kennedy as former employees of our club but Darren Milane and Tony Lockett were superstars too. Jeff White wasn't bad either. Hopefully none of them relocate and they all stay in our academy!

I saw the changing of the guard happening last year with Helensvale. The juniors were beating PBC.

PBC juniors and seniors had 4-5 years of quality kids, some of whom now at the Suns, but each year when 4-5 gun players graduated, there were 4-5 guns right behind them in year 11. And the rest of the 22 were very good players too. Some could have made it onto an afl list imo, but went in other directions as teenagers do.

Not the case now. Be interesting to see if PBC can get some kids from north QLD to add to the team, or Helensvale may start becoming State champions each year.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
kreglze you were in the public system about 10+ years ago right?
Helensvale had quite a few decent players around that time.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
kreglze you were in the public system about 10+ years ago right?
Helensvale had quite a few decent players around that time.
Haha na I was in the Catholic education system. But played against a few current/former AFL footballers in club footy. Ricky Petterd, Brent Renouf, Jesse White and Dayne Zorko. A few of those guys may have gone to Helensvale.

Back when I played school footy All Saints had a great team. Don’t know if anyone out of there made it to a decent level.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Haha na I was in the Catholic education system. But played against a few current/former AFL footballers in club footy. Ricky Petterd, Brent Renouf, Jesse White and Dayne Zorko. A few of those guys may have gone to Helensvale.

Back when I played school footy All Saints had a great team. Don’t know if anyone out of there made it to a decent level.
Oh right
Rhan Hooper was the same year at state titles
Luke Mcguane be disappointed you left him out

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Anyone copy and paste this
Thought he played a good game on the weekend

Harry Simington makes his long awaited return for the Gold Coast Suns NEAFL team
4ab0156a4ebab9e85b4188682484a274

GOLD Coast NEAFL coach Nick Malceski says the final six games of the Suns season shapes as an important one for Harry Simington following the forward’s long awaited return from injury.

The Suns 15.11 (101) to 10.14 (74) win over Redland at Metricon Stadium on Saturday was Simington’s first for the club in 11 months.

Hamstring injuries and a stress fracture in his foot scuppered the 19-year-old’s hopes of getting drafted in 2018 but a big finish to the NEAFL season could help the Gold Coast product draw the attention of clubs looking for a mature aged recruit.

The former Labrador player kicked two goals against Redland while 13 of his 15 possessions were contested.

“Harry has had some time out but he’s been working his backside off to get back,” Malceski said.

“He was super excited (on Friday) in our tune up and I had to tell him to settle down and save it for the game.

“He started off the game really well and kicked two goals in the first quarter. He presented well and he is a really fit player so his ability to run up and back was really impressive.

“Like all the under-19 it’s going to be an important six games for us and we have to play all the AFL clubs so it’s going to be a good challenge for them to see what they can display and if they can play to their strengths like they did (on Saturday).

“Other guys have been playing more footy than (Simington) so it’s probably more important for him.”

Gold Coast began Saturday’s game strongly and led by 43-points at halftime before suffering the third quarter lapse that has cost them in recent times.

Redland were within 16 points going into the final quarter before Gold Coast bounced back to cement the win.

Gold Coast have now kicked a total of 24 points in the third quarter of their last three games against Sydney University, Sydney and Redland while conceding an average of 39 points.

“I was really pleased with the win,” Malceski said.

“We identified at halftime our third quarters had been pretty poor and unfortunately we weren’t able to stop it and that (came down to) a bit of discipline.

“It’s not acceptable and we will look at the tape and see what we can fix up there.”

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
Making his debut ? Good player and good pickup for Broady - but should be at Palm Beach if he wants to be a winner.....:D

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Quite a few of our academy boys played QAFL footy yesterday. The Factory (PBC) had a big win over Labrador and Dirk Koenen was named in the bests for Palmy in his QAFL debut which was pleasing to see. He played CHB and seemed to play pretty well so that's exciting and hopefully he's in line to be drafted by us later this year. Labrador had a few of our academy boys line up for them as well like Budarick, Portelli etc. Greenwool managed a goal for Broady yesterday too.

Not sure where/if Scott or Graham played yesterday. I can't find them listed anywhere.

Last edited:

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Gold Coast Suns academy player Alex Davies gives up promising basketball career to chase AFL dream
ALEX Davies is poised to give up a promising basketball career in order to chase his dream of playing in the AFL.

The Gold Coast academy member has helped the Suns celebrate another win in the battle of the codes, with the club luring one of the most intriguing footy prospects in Queensland to Australian rules.

In the past year Davies has represented Queensland at both the under-16 and under-18 national basketball championships, leading the former to an Australian title as captain.

The 16-year-old is also an academy member of the Cairns Taipans NBL franchise but has made it clear to the club his future lies in footy.

“I have almost given up my basketball stuff,” Davies said. “Footy is the way I’m going. I still play basketball for school but it’s nothing serious. I’m focusing on footy and enjoying it more.”

Davies stands at 190cm and already weighs 80kg but you won’t find him in one of the key positions when he represents the Queensland under-16 side at the AFL’s national championships, beginning on the Gold Coast this week.

He will play alongside Southport Sharks junior Riley Johnson, while Gold Coasters Serene Watson and Dee Heslop will also be among those to represent Queensland at the under-18 national championships.

The basketball point guard has built his young career as a tall midfielder, drawing comparisons to Collingwood’s man of the moment Jordan De Goey due to his skills and strength.

“They are trying to make me into one of those players like Jordan de Goey,” Davies said.

“It’s popular to have bigger midfielders now in the AFL so I’m working on that with (Queensland coach) Adrian Fletcher.

“Basketball has helped me with my hand skills, decision making and awareness.”

The Suns have had multiple former basketballers make it on to their list, including current swingman Sam Day as well as ex-Suns forward and current Port Adelaide player Charlie Dixon.

The Suns are planning on relocating Davies, who won a senior premiership at the age of 15 with the Manunda Hawks, to the Gold Coast in order to fast-track his development.

Davies said it would be tough to leave his family and friends in Cairns but he was prepared to do it in order to take another step towards the AFL.

“I’m going to miss (Cairns) but it’s my dream to play in the AFL so I’ll have to make the sacrifice,” he said.

Exciting to see a talented youngster choose us over basketball. A 190cm mid at 16 years of age who has already represented Queensland at the U18 level in basketball certainly sounds like an exciting prospect! It's really nice to have an area like Cairns in our zone because it seems to regularly produce AFL players these days.

Back