Future Suns watch. Academy/Zone players to look out for.

17er

Cancelled
AFL Club
Gold Coast
10 years? I thought it was happening in the next 2-3 years?

You make an interesting observation about NQ kids moving here though. Options are very limited on the Gold Coast when it comes to boarding schools. All Saints, TSS and St Hilda's are the only schools on the GC that offer boarding opportunities and we know TSS aren't interested in what we do so we virtually have to send them to All Saints if they want a private school education. There's nothing wrong with All Saints and I'm fairly sure we have a good relationship with them, but I think it would be better to have more than one option in that regard. It might be a different story for the girls because I don't think St Hilda's is as anti-AFL as TSS.

Anyway, it's something to think about moving forward.
Plenty of models to choose from. If the kid likes surfing, send him or her to PBC and billet them with a footy family. Do the same with other High Schools with AFL excellence programs. If the kid has finished school at 17 and wants to go to Griffith Uni to start studying, send them to Labrador or Southport, or if Bond is their option then match them with Broadbeach.

The Swans and Giants have so many kids in their Academies that the 19yos play for Sydney Uni and Canberra Demons as well as Swans2 and the GWS NEAFL side, which is actually affiliated with University of Western Sydney. If the NEAFL are super serious about the NEAFL, they should be putting in a 3rd Gold Coast NEAFL team and have plans for a North Queensland team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Bods

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Plenty of models to choose from. If the kid likes surfing, send him or her to PBC and billet them with a footy family. Do the same with other High Schools with AFL excellence programs. If the kid has finished school at 17 and wants to go to Griffith Uni to start studying, send them to Labrador or Southport, or if Bond is their option then match them with Broadbeach.

The Swans and Giants have so many kids in their Academies that the 19yos play for Sydney Uni and Canberra Demons as well as Swans2 and the GWS NEAFL side, which is actually affiliated with University of Western Sydney. If the NEAFL are super serious about the NEAFL, they should be putting in a 3rd Gold Coast NEAFL team and have plans for a North Queensland team.
Outstanding Sir.

Peel67skin

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think VFL and NEAFL will merge in the future with 2 division
VFL -
1) Boxhill
2) Casey
3) Coburg
4) Collingwood
5) Essendon
6) bulldog
7) Frankston
8) Geelong
9) northern Blues
10) North melb
11) Port Melbourne
12) Richmond
13) sandringham
14) Weribee
15) Williamstown
16) tasmania (2021)
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018...-is-prove-yourself-in-vfl/9935778?pfmredir=sm

plus 10 NEAFL teams .
13 teams in first division.
13-16 teams in division 2.

Last edited:

17er

Cancelled
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think VFL and NEAFL will merge in the future with 2 division
VFL -
1) Boxhill
2) Casey
3) Coburg
4) Collingwood
5) Essendon
6) bulldog
7) Frankston
8) Geelong
9) northern Blues
10) North melb
11) Port Melbourne
12) Richmond
13) sandringham
14) Weribee
15) Williamstown
16) tasmania (2021)
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018...-is-prove-yourself-in-vfl/9935778?pfmredir=sm

plus 10 NEAFL teams .
13 teams in first division.
13-16 teams in division 2.
No. For all the reasons given in the article and for a million more. Just. Not. Happening.

gcsunsfc

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Interesting to see what Raines had to say about Alex Davies:

We've had some success with moving north QLD kids down and having them board at All Saints (Jack Bowes did it a few years ago) so hopefully Davies can follow suit. I assume this means Davies will play club football for either Broadbeach or Surfers Paradise next year while also fulfilling academy/representative duties. He's going to really benefit from the new academy TAC Cup pathway over the next two years and here's hoping he adapts to the GC lifestyle quickly. Although if he continues to grow beyond 190cm we'll have to make a decision if we want to keep him in the midfield or push him into a key position up forward or down back.

We've done the hard work by convincing him to give up basketball and pursue footy with us, now we have to develop him into the best footballer he can possibly be. I just wish I could say the same for fellow Cairns junior Tamuri Wigness, who appears headed for the NBA.
NBA is a long long way off but some of the top scouts and talent evaluators (givony) say he has nba potential.
Got to be pretty damn good to make it if you’re only 5’11 though. Automatic defensive liability at that size. Would be nice for him to grow another 10cm!

Is currently in Vegas taking part in a few scrimmages
IMG_3063.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Attachments

GC2015

All Australian
AFL Club
Gold Coast

If a sponsor/footy family is an option, then obviously there aren't really any restrictions on which school they can attend on the GC. We've seen that with kids like Jacob Heron moving down and setting up base at PBC. However, I was exclusively talking about parents who want their child to board at a private school, in which case the options are extremely limited on the Gold Coast. It's not a coincidence that Bowes, Hine, Nicholls and the Weller brothers all attended All Saints when they relocated to the Gold Coast prior to turning 18.
NBA is a long long way off but some of the top scouts and talent evaluators (givony) say he has nba potential.
Got to be pretty damn good to make it if you’re only 5’11 though. Automatic defensive liability at that size. Would be nice for him to grow another 10cm!

Is currently in Vegas taking part in a few scrimmages View attachment 596126
He's on the right path to securing a College opportunity in the US and that's the main goal right now. Will he make it to the NBA? Hard to say right now but being invited to these NBA camps in the US definitely helps. Also, despite only being listed at 5'10, I've seen footage of him dunking so that kid has hops! Here's hoping he can get to at least 6ft as that seems to be the bare minimum for most in the NBA.

gcsunsfc

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
If a sponsor/footy family is an option, then obviously there aren't really any restrictions on which school they can attend on the GC. We've seen that with kids like Jacob Heron moving down and setting up base at PBC. However, I was exclusively talking about parents who want their child to board at a private school, in which case the options are extremely limited on the Gold Coast. It's not a coincidence that Bowes, Hine, Nicholls and the Weller brothers all attended All Saints when they relocated to the Gold Coast prior to turning 18.

He's on the right path to securing a College opportunity in the US and that's the main goal right now. Will he make it to the NBA? Hard to say right now but being invited to these NBA camps in the US definitely helps. Also, despite only being listed at 5'10, I've seen footage of him dunking so that kid has hops! Here's hoping he can get to at least 6ft as that seems to be the bare minimum for most in the NBA.
I asked one draft follower on Twitter how wigness looked the first day of the scrimmage. He said
- undersized and out of control at times
- scored some buckets
- clearly can see he is talented.

Not bad to be honest. With some good coaching which he will hopefully get in college could build on that potential.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

AFL Club
Geelong
The Suns need to check out a 10 year old (yes, that's 10 years old) kid who plays for All Saints. He's in 5th Grade and the son of Melbourne legend Jeff White. Kalani White already has AFL player written all over him - great mark, kick, tap ruckman and agile around the ground. Only problem is father/son rule BUT if the Suns were to embrace him early and he continues to bond with all his local team mates - there's at least a chance. Two other brothers as well but no nothing about them. If anybody has a connection with Suns recruiting they MUST check out this kid. He's a gem.
I spotted Austin Harris as an 11yo at the u12s state carnival in Townsville years ago. He is from Cairns, in the Suns academy, now live on GC with a scholarship. Won 'World team' selection this year as well as QLD u15s. Is highly regarded by academy. So yes, you can pick em from way out.

Another to watch (though not Suns area) Dylan Patterson. 11yo (sept) National carnival 100-200m sprint. State in 6 events. Broke 9 record for his Little Athletics club on Sunshine coast this year. Played for SC in u12s state carnival this year and picked up by Lions academy as an underage u12. Neat skills, fast, athletic.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I spotted Austin Harris as an 11yo at the u12s state carnival in Townsville years ago. He is from Cairns, in the Suns academy, now live on GC with a scholarship. Won 'World team' selection this year as well as QLD u15s. Is highly regarded by academy. So yes, you can pick em from way out.
Did both Austin Harris and Alex Davies receive sports scholarships to attend All Saints? I'm fairly sure there was an article released recently that said Davies was heading to All Saints next year so I assume Harris is in the same boat. If I'm not mistaken, Will Ashcroft will also be coming through All Saints in the same year as Harris so I'm sure their school team would be right up there with the best in QLD. It's a pretty impressive role call when you look at the AFL players that have graduated from All Saints; Nick Riewoldt, Lachie Weller, Maverick Weller, Kurt Tippett, Joel Tippett, Jack Bowes, Taylor Hine and Tom Nicholls. Special mention to cricketer Andrew Symonds too.

Sun Stormer Kalani White is another All Saints student FYI.

GC2015

All Australian
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Did both Austin Harris and Alex Davies receive sports scholarships to attend All Saints? I'm fairly sure there was an article released recently that said Davies was heading to All Saints next year so I assume Harris is in the same boat. If I'm not mistaken, Will Ashcroft will also be coming through All Saints in the same year as Harris so I'm sure their school team would be right up there with the best in QLD. It's a pretty impressive role call when you look at the AFL players that have graduated from All Saints; Nick Riewoldt, Lachie Weller, Maverick Weller, Kurt Tippett, Joel Tippett, Jack Bowes, Taylor Hine and Tom Nicholls. Special mention to cricketer Andrew Symonds too.

Sun Stormer Kalani White is another All Saints student FYI.
You're right about Alex Davies. Not sure about the others.

With all this new funding going into our academy and the new pathway including TAC Cup games, there has never been a greater time to be a Gold Coast junior and a better chance to make it to the big time. We should be producing Isaac Heeneys in no time!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom