Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Another article on our city's success at the state championships:

Why Gold Coast is a hotbed of Australian rules talent
Gold Coast teams took out six divisions at the state finals over the weekend – primary male (Gaven State School), primary female (Varsity College), junior male (Helensvale State High School), junior female (Park Ridge State High School) senior male (Palm Beach Currumbin State High School) and senior female (Miami State High School) competitions.

Owens, who helps run the football academy at Palm Beach, said he wasn’t surprised Gold Coast schools were thriving.

“Gold Coast only has two schools who have big football excellence programs, Palm Beach and Helensvale,” Owens said.

“Southport now offer something and Varsity does as well. But in Brisbane it’s a bit more spread out.

“Geographically it’s a bigger place and the talent is spread more while competing with the private schools.

“Our program (at Palm Beach) is really well run. It’s a holistic program and the kids not only do footy, they do yoga, strength and conditioning, video analysis.

“They do a lot of things professional clubs do.

“We take the kids on a trip to Melbourne where they play against Melbourne schools and give them the experience of flying down the day before, sleeping in a motel and playing the next day. We try to replicate the top level as much as we can.”

Very interesting to see both Southport and Varsity are attempting to mirror what PBC and Helensvale have done and establish successful Aussie rules sports excellence programs. Southport High can obviously attract players from the Sharks and I guess Varsity College would be looking to secure players from the Burleigh Bombers, Robina Roos and possibly even Bond University.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Ashton Crossley best on ground too
Following in the footsteps of his brother two years ago. Two Crossleys winning the AFLQ Schools Cup Senior Male Best on Ground awards in a span of three years. Exciting stuff to think that the Crossley boys will likely be teammates for us this time next year!

Is there a third Crossley by any chance? :think:

WANcXoh.jpg

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Another article on our city's success at the state championships:

Why Gold Coast is a hotbed of Australian rules talent

Very interesting to see both Southport and Varsity are attempting to mirror what PBC and Helensvale have done and establish successful Aussie rules sports excellence programs. Southport High can obviously attract players from the Sharks and I guess Varsity College would be looking to secure players from the Burleigh Bombers, Robina Roos and possibly even Bond University.
I suspect it will actually be the other way around, although we have seen PBC High School take players from clubs and they end up as Palm Beach Lions seniors. Seems like a bit of give take. If a player from a non-AFL school is identified by their club isn't it in everyone's interest for that player to go to Southport High or Varsity College (assuming scholarships here). At the end of the day they will be aiming for Sun Academy listing anyway and the majority wind up playing QAFL.

SunsGal

Senior List
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Following in the footsteps of his brother two years ago. Two Crossleys winning the AFLQ Schools Cup Senior Male Best on Ground awards in a span of three years. Exciting stuff to think that the Crossley boys will likely be teammates for us this time next year!

Is there a third Crossley by any chance? :think:

WANcXoh.jpg
Possibly for the AFLW in 6 or 7 years

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool

Connor Budarick (Gold Coast Suns/Labrador)
Ashton Crossley (Gold Coast Suns/Burleigh/Palm Beach Currumbin)
Alex Davies (Gold Coast Suns/Cairns Hawks)
Jack Johnston (Gold Coast Suns/Palm Beach Currumbin)
Hewago Paul-Oea (Gold Coast Suns/PNG/Broadbeach)

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Possibly for the AFLW in 6 or 7 years
How good! Troy Crossley deserves a medal if all three of his kids end up playing for us haha.

Awesome stuff. In celebration, here is an action shot from the weekend's QLD Schools Cup final that depicts Connor Budarick (Helensvale) breaking away from Ashton Crossley's (and his PBC teammate's) tackle. You can clearly see in this picture that Budarick is quick and dangerous down the wing!

SunsGal

Senior List
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
How good! Troy Crossley deserves a medal if all three of his kids end up playing for us haha.

Awesome stuff. In celebration, here is an action shot from the weekend's QLD Schools Cup final that depicts Connor Budarick (Helensvale) breaking away from Ashton Crossley's (and his PBC teammate's) tackle. You can clearly see in this picture that Budarick is quick and dangerous down the wing!

The family deserve a medal now! Imagine the grocery bill...

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Coached by Luke Power, All Australian Small Forward/midfielder. Good mentor for our little blokes.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Emmanuel are the 2018 APS champions for the senior boys and Somerset are senior girls champions. Cool to see the Suns allowed them to play their grand finals at Metricon!

Last edited:

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Somerset College head of sport says matter of time before they have AFLW representatives
Somerset won four of the six of the Associated Private Schools (APS) Australian rules grand finals last Friday, taking out the junior and intermediate boys titles along with the intermediate and senior girls trophies.

It continued an enormous run of success for Somerset since the introduction of the sport to the APS competition in 2011, particularly for the college’s female players who have helped it win five of past seven senior girls finals.

Lunnis said Somerset’s continuing development of high qualify players meant their hopes of producing an AFLW player were at an all-time high.

“That is one of our aims and we have some very good players at the moment,” Lunnis said.

Suns women’s academy member Madizen Wilkins, 17, is one of the leading players who is on the path to the top level.

Lunnis revealed a plethora of well credentialed mentors including former Richmond AFL player Mark Pitura, Bond University QFA division one coach Sam Whish-Wilson, former Brisbane Lions AFLW player Molly Ritson.

Many of the Bond University QWAFL players also act as assistants for the school teams.

“We have a really strong sporting culture here,” Lunnis said.

“In particular it’s huge for the girls and the numbers have really ballooned. That has a knock on effect with many of our girls going on to play for local clubs.

“We have a few role models for the players to work with and they have all been fantastic.”
This could be our way into the APS system. By having graduates from these schools become AFLW players, the APS schools will start to realise the good PR they receive from promoting Aussie rules at the school level and will want to take it more seriously. The only APS school that appears to have taken it seriously to date is All Saints (Nick Riewoldt, Kurt Tippett, Lachie Weller etc) but if this article is correct, and Somerset starts to take it more seriously, I could see a genuine rivalry building between the traditional APS rivals which are All Saints and Somerset. There are also two APS schools based in the booming area of Coomera/Pimpama so it would be hugely beneficial if they could get on board as well (Coomera Anglican College made both the senior boys and girls APS grand finals this year).

It's encouraging to see Somerset have already enlisted the help of former AFL players like Matt Pitura but you would hope they could get someone a little more high profile moving forward. I know Daniel Merrett coaches the St Laurence's senior boys team up in Brisbane; so I think they could target former Suns players still living on the GC in their pursuit to improve their AFL programs. It's exciting times for the future of the sport on the Gold Coast!

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Somerset College head of sport says matter of time before they have AFLW representatives

This could be our way into the APS system. By having graduates from these schools become AFLW players, the APS schools will start to realise the good PR they receive from promoting Aussie rules at the school level and will want to take it more seriously. The only APS school that appears to have taken it seriously to date is All Saints (Nick Riewoldt, Kurt Tippett, Lachie Weller etc) but if this article is correct, and Somerset starts to take it more seriously, I could see a genuine rivalry building between the traditional APS rivals which are All Saints and Somerset. There are also two APS schools based in the booming area of Coomera/Pimpama so it would be hugely beneficial if they could get on board as well (Coomera Anglican College made both the senior boys and girls APS grand finals this year).

It's encouraging to see Somerset have already enlisted the help of former AFL players like Matt Pitura but you would hope they could get someone a little more high profile moving forward. I know Daniel Merrett coaches the St Laurence's senior boys team up in Brisbane; so I think they could target former Suns players still living on the GC in their pursuit to improve their AFL programs. It's exciting times for the future of the sport on the Gold Coast!
It’s Mark Pitura, not Matt

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The Suns need to check out a 10 year old (yes, that's 10 years old) kid who plays for All Saints. He's in 5th Grade and the son of Melbourne legend Jeff White. Kalani White already has AFL player written all over him - great mark, kick, tap ruckman and agile around the ground. Only problem is father/son rule BUT if the Suns were to embrace him early and he continues to bond with all his local team mates - there's at least a chance. Two other brothers as well but no nothing about them. If anybody has a connection with Suns recruiting they MUST check out this kid. He's a gem.

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
The Suns need to check out a 10 year old (yes, that's 10 years old) kid who plays for All Saints. He's in 5th Grade and the son of Melbourne legend Jeff White. Kalani White already has AFL player written all over him - great mark, kick, tap ruckman and agile around the ground. Only problem is father/son rule BUT if the Suns were to embrace him early and he continues to bond with all his local team mates - there's at least a chance. Two other brothers as well but no nothing about them. If anybody has a connection with Suns recruiting they MUST check out this kid. He's a gem.
If he’s in the academy he can end up choosing between the two clubs

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If he’s in the academy he can end up choosing between the two clubs
Understand that...but what age are they eligible for the Academy? I'm just suggesting a little work pre-Academy (given his age) might prove to be an added advantage. Invites to the games, meet the players etc because from what I know, his Dad will be pushing Demons for sure. Guess people will have to see him before getting too excited BUT I'm on board already.

SunsGal

Senior List
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Understand that...but what age are they eligible for the Academy? I'm just suggesting a little work pre-Academy (given his age) might prove to be an added advantage. Invites to the games, meet the players etc because from what I know, his Dad will be pushing Demons for sure. Guess people will have to see him before getting too excited BUT I'm on board already.
I know a boy who's been with the academy as young as 12. Not sure how young they can start, but he was going to training days etc maybe 5-6 times a year?

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Alex davies 16yr old 190cm gun mid already looks to have a AFL body in the photo supplied.

https://outline.com/4A72Wb
Interesting to see what Raines had to say about Alex Davies:
“A Cairns boy and state basketballer who probably could have pursued basketball but has chosen to prioritise footy. He is probably one of our brightest prospects for the 2020 draft. He will relocate next year and do Year 12 at All Saints so he can have that added development by being here full-time. Alex is a tall midfielder (190cm) which is in vogue at the moment. His work inside the contest is good and he works well in traffic like a lot of basketballers. He has a good mix of endurance and speed.”
We've had some success with moving north QLD kids down and having them board at All Saints (Jack Bowes did it a few years ago) so hopefully Davies can follow suit. I assume this means Davies will play club football for either Broadbeach or Surfers Paradise next year while also fulfilling academy/representative duties. He's going to really benefit from the new academy TAC Cup pathway over the next two years and here's hoping he adapts to the GC lifestyle quickly. Although if he continues to grow beyond 190cm we'll have to make a decision if we want to keep him in the midfield or push him into a key position up forward or down back.

We've done the hard work by convincing him to give up basketball and pursue footy with us, now we have to develop him into the best footballer he can possibly be. I just wish I could say the same for fellow Cairns junior Tamuri Wigness, who appears headed for the NBA.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'll also add this for anyone who is interested. Alex Davies is of Japanese descent for those who take an interest in backgrounds. He may even be the first Asian player to pull on a Gold Coast jumper in a few years.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Interesting to see what Raines had to say about Alex Davies:

We've had some success with moving north QLD kids down and having them board at All Saints (Jack Bowes did it a few years ago) so hopefully Davies can follow suit. I assume this means Davies will play club football for either Broadbeach or Surfers Paradise next year while also fulfilling academy/representative duties. He's going to really benefit from the new academy TAC Cup pathway over the next two years and here's hoping he adapts to the GC lifestyle quickly. Although if he continues to grow beyond 190cm we'll have to make a decision if we want to keep him in the midfield or push him into a key position up forward or down back.

We've done the hard work by convincing him to give up basketball and pursue footy with us, now we have to develop him into the best footballer he can possibly be. I just wish I could say the same for fellow Cairns junior Tamuri Wigness, who appears headed for the NBA.
To be fair playing in NBA earn more money than AFL.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'll also add this for anyone who is interested. Alex Davies is of Japanese descent for those who take an interest in backgrounds. He may even be the first Asian player to pull on a Gold Coast jumper in a few years.
Callum Ah Chee is part Chinese.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Callum Ah Chee is part Chinese.
Right you are. I've always viewed Cal as indigenous but he is definitely part Chinese as well.

Cairns is really starting to turn into a major resource for us. We've had Bowes, Heron and Graham all drafted over the last three years, while Dixon, Harbrow and Liddy were inaugural members of our squad back in 2011. Alex Davies (2020) and Austin Harris (2021) seem to be a part of the next wave of Cairns footballers who are talented enough to make it on to our list. Harris has also relocated to the GC this off season with Davies and, funnily enough, is also of Asian (Thai) heritage. Although I think I remember reading somewhere that Harris' father was a former professional cricketer so he probably has a good pedigree for top level sport.

One factor that may affect us going forward is the impending change to the standard schooling age in Queensland. In a few years from now, it will no longer be standard for all year 12 students to graduate at the age of 17. Most kids will be graduating at 18 years of age and that will obviously change things drastically when it comes to our academy. Austin Harris may even be one of the first examples of this.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Right you are. I've always viewed Cal as indigenous but he is definitely part Chinese as well.

Cairns is really starting to turn into a major resource for us. We've had Bowes, Heron and Graham all drafted over the last three years, while Dixon, Harbrow and Liddy were inaugural members of our squad back in 2011. Alex Davies (2020) and Austin Harris (2021) seem to be a part of the next wave of Cairns footballers who are talented enough to make it on to our list. Harris has also relocated to the GC this off season with Davies and, funnily enough, is also of Asian (Thai) heritage. Although I think I remember reading somewhere that Harris' father was a former professional cricketer so he probably has a good pedigree for top level sport.

One factor that may affect us going forward is the impending change to the standard schooling age in Queensland. In a few years from now, it will no longer be standard for all year 12 students to graduate at the age of 17. Most kids will be graduating at 18 years of age and that will obviously change things drastically when it comes to our academy. Austin Harris may even be one of the first examples of this.
We have about 10 years to worry about the prospect of our Academy players turning 18 before their Draft year. I personally think the Draft age will be raised or at the very least kids will be required to have finished grade 12.

It is an interesting problem for North Queensland kids, one which I think could end up but the focus of the AFL's extra funding. If kids like Caleb Graham and Dirk Koenen can come down and finish school (Caleb's entire family relocated) then maybe the club can fully lay on scholarships that value academic rigour as much as sports discipline.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We have about 10 years to worry about the prospect of our Academy players turning 18 before their Draft year. I personally think the Draft age will be raised or at the very least kids will be required to have finished grade 12.

It is an interesting problem for North Queensland kids, one which I think could end up but the focus of the AFL's extra funding. If kids like Caleb Graham and Dirk Koenen can come down and finish school (Caleb's entire family relocated) then maybe the club can fully lay on scholarships that value academic rigour as much as sports discipline.
10 years? I thought it was happening in the next 2-3 years?

You make an interesting observation about NQ kids moving here though. Options are very limited on the Gold Coast when it comes to boarding schools. All Saints, TSS and St Hilda's are the only schools on the GC that offer boarding opportunities and we know TSS aren't interested in what we do so we virtually have to send them to All Saints if they want a private school education. There's nothing wrong with All Saints and I'm fairly sure we have a good relationship with them, but I think it would be better to have more than one option in that regard. It might be a different story for the girls because I don't think St Hilda's is as anti-AFL as TSS.

Anyway, it's something to think about moving forward.

Back