Injury Fyfe Fractures Leg Again

Remove this Banner Ad

Slightly off topic, did anyone hear what Ross said about the Fyfe during his presser today? Loves the club and keen to build it up.

I hope he takes his lead from the Pav and stays for during the hard times. The current situation is probably a pale comparison to the 10 year roller coaster ride Pav had to endure. At least Fyfe and co. have been part of an era of relative and consistent success.

Again, slightly off topic - same presser - Ross is clearly pushing the need to draft in talls to grow ourselves. Don't know if that's a subtle dig at recruitment for consistently not picking them or if he's telegraphing our intent in the next drive.

Slightly off topic, did anyone hear what Ross said about the Fyfe during his presser today? Loves the club and keen to build it up.

I hope he takes his lead from the Pav and stays for during the hard times. The current situation is probably a pale comparison to the 10 year roller coaster ride Pav had to endure. At least Fyfe and co. have been part of an era of relative and consistent success.

Again, slightly off topic - same presser - Ross is clearly pushing the need to draft in talls to grow ourselves. Don't know if that's a subtle dig at recruitment for consistently not picking them or if he's telegraphing our intent in the next drive.
Sounds like a captain doesn't he. :cry:

I'm not having a knock on Mundy but during the toughest period the club has been through in quite some time it would be nice to have some positive words from the captain. Maybe the media dept organise all that stuff .

Forgive me for intruding on this board.

My brother in law is an ortho at Royal Perth.

My parents and I went out to dinner with him and my sister tonight and because he is an ortho the topic of Fyfe's leg came up.

His opinion (and he prefaced it by saying that it's only based on what he has heard in the media but that the injury was nothing strange so it's not like it was hard to guess)

was that

1. Going all the way over to Melbourne to same surgeon again was the best possible move and it would have been stupid to do otherwise given money isn't a concern.

2. The fact that Fyfe walked around for the rest of the game before going to hospital is irrelevant. It wouldn't have effected the injury at all.

3. The injury doesn't suggest in anyway that Fyfe is going to long term problems with this leg for the rest of his career.

4. That Fyfe should be able to return to doing all those walking exercises in the pool in around a fortnight.

5. That once he's regained match fitness after about three months that he won't be risking any injury (more than the normal that a footballer risks) playing.
Thank you! It's great to hear a qualified opinion on it all.

I watched the presser. There was definitely some deflection and misdirection going on. On the questions of McCarthy, Hooker and list management the crazy eyes started to come out. You could see the relief when he was asked about the return of Apeness so that he could answer in facts.

I watched the presser. There was definitely some deflection and misdirection going on. On the questions of McCarthy, Hooker and list management the crazy eyes started to come out. You could see the relief when he was asked about the return of Apeness so that he could answer in facts.
I think it was more relief that he wasn't asked another stupid question from Barich. If I was there I'd want to punch Barich in the face for his continual stupidity, so pretty sure RTB would have wanted to as well. I don't think Ross would have a problem tackling questions about recruitment, gaps in the list etc but the journalists need to ask him questions rather than making a statement and then asking him to comment on it. That interview was great when decent questions were asked.

I think it was more relief that he wasn't asked another stupid question from Barich. If I was there I'd want to punch Barich in the face for his continual stupidity, so pretty sure RTB would have wanted to as well. I don't think Ross would have a problem tackling questions about recruitment, gaps in the list etc but the journalists need to ask him questions rather than making a statement and then asking him to comment on it. That interview was great when decent questions were asked.
As much as it pains me to say it, I thought Barich's question was reasonable in the circumstances. Lyon shut it down hard with the line about not writing other people's headlines. So far any question about list management has been met with "grow your own", or a reference to Pearce or Tabs - a contradiction to the strategy of targeting free agents and trading. A fair question - not yet answered for me. Anyway, this the Fyfe thread, so sorry for derailing.

As much as it pains me to say it, I thought Barich's question was reasonable in the circumstances. Lyon shut it down hard with the line about not writing other people's headlines. So far any question about list management has been met with "grow your own", or a reference to Pearce or Tabs - a contradiction to the strategy of targeting free agents and trading. A fair question - not yet answered for me. Anyway, this the Fyfe thread, so sorry for derailing.

May have been posted elsewhere, but is there a link to the interview you're referring to?

I think Barrich asks terrible questions and Ross seems to have issue with bad questions/questioners which is fair enough. That particular one wasn't too bad in the scheme of things, but still, I can't see how Ross could answer it too differently given the circumstances really (mid season, a training interview, not a list manager as such etc.).

FWIW, I think what he did a bit subtly (and has quite a bit in recent times) but would really like to let rip is how the expansion clubs have been completely over gifted talent in such a short period - I certainly picked that up.

Last edited:
I think Barrich asks terrible questions and Ross seems to have issue with bad questions/questioners which is fair enough. That particular one wasn't too bad in the scheme of things, but still, I can't see how Ross could answer it too differently given the circumstances really (mid season, a training interview, not a list manager as such etc.).

FWIW, I think what he did a bit subtly (and has a quite a bit in recent times) but would really like to let rip is how the expansion clubs have been completely over gifted talent in such a short period - I certainly picked that up.
The types of "questions" I hate are:

"So everyone is saying ... What do you think about this?" - it's terrible journalism.

Barich does it continually and understandably both coaches (Simpson as well) roll their eyes at him. Ask direct questions and then maybe you'll get direct answers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well on SEN, Timmy reading the headlines saying they have an exclusive interview with Fyfe and he is all but ruling out returning this year. Will be interesting to hear what he actually says!

So many places getting exclusive interviews. I'm not sure they know the meaning of the word "exclusive".

The channel 7 one looks like they've been sitting outside the hospital the past two days waiting till he left.
They think they're on a good thing with Fyfe as news because when he was first injured it was the first time their "breaking news" headline was accurate.

edit - I'll show myself out.

Surprised channel 7 didn't film the surgery and broadcast it and then interview Fyfe waking up from the anaesthetic

"So Nat, how do you feel right now?"
"mmm? mff nmmm..."
"You can't comment on your playing future?" quick - breaking news - Fyfe retiring due to career ending injury

You would hope he has the plates out, takes the rest of the season to recuperate and lets the breaks heal naturally.
As much as I love stalking him watching him play, gotta agree. Keeping the plates in he's going to run the risk of re-re-breaking it for the rest of his career. Must've really ****ed it up on the weekend to need 2 plates in it :eek:

As much as I love stalking him watching him play, gotta agree. Keeping the plates in he's going to run the risk of re-re-breaking it for the rest of his career. Must've really stuffed it up on the weekend to need 2 plates in it :eek:
Taking the plates out he might miss most of 2017 too , are you willing to do that ;). I am not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back