Rumour Fyfe set to become a Saint

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah, I remember when Rory Sloane was going to the Saints and getting their captaincy to boot.

Good times.
He'd already re-signed by that point, hadn't he? Just was waiting to announce it to take some of the heat off danger.. was hilarious when that came out.

Just a plethora of guys with nothing else to do running with something they heard at the pub. Nothing more than click bait. And the problem is- it works & they will never get called out on it!

So let me get this straight...

The club that lost one of their coaches because of one of the most insipid and pathetic attempts at contract "negotiation" in recent history now suddenly has the aptitude to put together a huge offer for a captain of another club?

The same player who had made it no secret that he wants to win finals is going to go to a club that statistically has had a 1 in 5 chance of getting the spoon each year?

Fyfe may go, but it's going to be to a well-run and successful club, not the exact antithesis of that.

Fyfe is currently averaging:
- 27 disposals
- 4.5 tackles
- 15 contested possessions
- 6 clearances
- 0.5 goals

As opposed to in 2015 when he won the Brownlow:
- 29 disposals
- 4.3 tackles
- 18 contested possessions
- 8.6 clearances
- 0.7 goals

For someone who's only a month and a bit back after a season long injury I'd say he's going pretty well compared to a Brownlow winning season, so I'm not sure why you seem to think we'd be inheriting a 'bad leg' should he leave Freo? Care to elaborate on that comment? Seems like you might be a tad salty from all these rumours.

What's the comparison with his marking stats?

Actually it will if Freo decide to match the offer and force your mob to trade for him. Probably cost you a player like Acres as well.
Freo would be pretty dumb to match if he says he wants out.......

The club that lost one of their coaches because of one of the most insipid and pathetic attempts at contract "negotiation" in recent history now suddenly has the aptitude to put together a huge offer for a captain of another club?

The same player who had made it no secret that he wants to win finals is going to go to a club that statistically has had a 1 in 5 chance of getting the spoon each year?

Fyfe may go, but it's going to be to a well-run and successful club, not the exact antithesis of that.

Off the high-horse little brother. Insipid would accurately describe the recruiting of Harley Bennell. I love when bitter fans have nothing left to grasp so bring up the wooden spoons. Pass the salt.

Saints are now a well run club. Finnis, Bains and Richardson have done a wonderful job of turning things around. Plenty of work still to do but Ray Charles can see they are on the right track.

Surely in the modern day football club the convo goes something like this:

List Manager: Ok Nate, we all know you're up as a restricted free agent. Here's our best offer, we really want you to stay here, and if there is anything you want in your contract in terms of extras, clauses, just give me a buzz and we'll see what we can do. I know your manager is fielding offers, and the money is going to be big. We want you to do whats best for you, but it'd be great if you could have enough flexibility in where you might head such that it allows us to get some decent trade value - after all, we stuck with you through the early years. Great, so have keep killing it this season, and we'll chat when we inevitably just miss out on finals.

I don't think it's an issue at all that Fyfe hasn't resigned yet. In fact, he would be downright silly to do so until the new pay deal has been resolved just like the other out of contract stars like Dusty and JJ.

Triggered

St Kilda has a better track record of attracting good players from other clubs than Freo does so they must be doing something right.

I don't know if we'll end up getting Fyfe but it would be quite amusing if we poached Freo's best player after they poached our coach.

Robbo on AFL360 referring to Fitzi as a 'well respected DJ'. Clearly has no idea who the * he is and the fact he's been on a poorly performing FM station for years now. Stick to talking about your day to day bogan life and being the token bloke on your s**t show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Off the high-horse little brother. Insipid would accurately describe the recruiting of Harley Bennell. I love when bitter fans have nothing left to grasp so bring up the wooden spoons. Pass the salt.

Lovett says hi

Well since Freo joined the league the spoon count is 2 to 1, but Saints have made the GF on three seperate occasions to one, so call that a draw. As for playing and winning finals, Saints are ahead on both fronts, so wouldn't be shitting on them too much if I was a Freo supporter.

Saints: 21 played, 9 won, 1 draw, 11 lost. 42% win rate.
Fremantle: 15 played, 6 won, 9 lost. 40% win rate.

They've made sweeping changes from the top down since Lyon drove the list into the ground and Nettlefold botched his contract negotiations. They're in a much better place with Finnis at the helm and the list is in good shape to surge up the ladder. Can definitely see the Saints as a strong potential destination, plus they've still got a fair amount of coin in the coffers to pay up a big contract. But with all that said, I don't see Fyfe leaving.

lol what

Well since Freo joined the league the spoon count is 2 to 1, but Saints have made the GF on three seperate occasions to one, so call that a draw. As for playing and winning finals, Saints are ahead on both fronts, so wouldn't be shitting on them too much if I was a Freo supporter.

Saints: 21 played, 9 won, 1 draw, 11 lost. 42% win rate.
Fremantle: 15 played, 6 won, 9 lost. 40% win rate.

They've made sweeping changes from the top down since Lyon drove the list into the ground and Nettlefold botched his contract negotiations. They're in a much better place with Finnis at the helm and the list is in good shape to surge up the ladder. Can definitely see the Saints as a strong potential destination, plus they've still got a fair amount of coin in the coffers to pay up a big contract. But with all that said, I don't see Fyfe leaving.

game.set.match

But Allan Richardson doesn't have a backhoe license therefore he can not dig the saints into the ground....unlike Ross the boss I heard he studied civil construction at one point

Saints are now a well run club. Finnis, Bains and Richardson have done a wonderful job of turning things around. Plenty of work still to do but Ray Charles can see they are on the right track.
They wouldn't match with the intention of keeping him, just to force a trade. All they have to do is ask him 'is it about the money? If we match are you going to stay, or are you gone regardless?'
If he's gone regardless, you match and force a trade. Is the AFL even doing compo picks any more? Why would you let him walk for nothing, or at best an AFL compo pick after your first rounder, when you could most likely get 2 x 1sts in a trade at minimum?

The big question is, do Freo actually need to prove to the AFL that they have the money to match? If they do it knowing that he isn't staying and don't actually have to spend it, do they actually have to have the money available on the books, or can they bluff so to speak?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back