Votes: 84 49.1%

• Total voters

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Fyfe is a ball magnet, you can't really stop him when he wants it. He is also very good overhead.
But Dusty tears games apart in burst. His skills are elite. He is a bit Ablett snr like in that respect.

Chumly

Senior List
May 23, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Shoulda woulda coulda, didn’t.

Do you even remember your own point anymore? You’ve taken two detours.

Your point is player 22 on the Richmond GF team is better than Dangefield because he has won one more premiership.

This is the argument a five year old makes.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Your point is player 22 on the Richmond GF team is better than Dangefield because he has won one more premiership.

This is the argument a five year old makes.
My point is,

Dustin Martin is better than Patrick Dangerfield and Nat Fyfe because he has performed in finals and being best afield in two grand finals.

That’s an argument someone with a brain makes.

******* easy to play well when nothing is on the line and your teams been pumped by 80 points. I’ve seen danger first hand turn to ******* jelly when there’s a grand final spot on the line.

All incredible players, Dusty thrives in finals, haven’t seen enough of Fyfe and danger falls apart.

I refuse to judge Fyfe on his junktime performances in junk games

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
If Richmond traded Martin for Fyfe I'm not convinced they'd be any worse. Just a little different. If Freo traded Fyfe for Martin I'm pretty sure they'd be worse.

Martin and Fyfe have similar levels of production, according to most metrics, but Fyfe offers a certain level of leadership that you'd never get from Martin. So a Martin for Fyfe swap would create a leadership hole at Freo. Without a strong culture, I have little doubt Martin would go off the rails. Full credit to Richmond that they have managed to keep him on the straight and narrow. I doubt most clubs would have been so successful.

The premiership argument is somewhat silly because we have ample evidence that individual superstars are not that important to overall team success. Rance, one of the greatest modern day defenders, misses a season and Richmond wins the flag. Naitanui and Gaff miss the finals and West Coast wins the premiership. Buddy Franklin, by far the greatest forward of his era, leaves the Hawks and they win two consecutive flags. Dangerfield, arguably the game's best midfielder, leaves the Crows and they make the grand final. Gary Ablett Jnr, consensus best player in the league and one of the greatest of all time, leaves the Cats and they immediately win a premiership.

Richmond didn't win a premiership because of Martin. They won because they have a strategy that holds up against finals pressure and complete buy-in from everyone on their list. If they traded Martin for nothing next season their probability of winning the premiership wouldn't move a great deal. A premiership is a team award that an individual receives. The fact that a great player hasn't won a premiership isn't a blight on that player's reputation or resume.

Tough one.
Fyfe hasn't really had the luxury of playing in big finals (except for one year).
Martin's big-game output is simply phenomenal, but there's no reason to think Fyfe couldn't do the same given the same opportunities.
I love them both as players.

Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
If Richmond traded Martin for Fyfe I'm not convinced they'd be any worse. Just a little different. If Freo traded Fyfe for Martin I'm pretty sure they'd be worse.

Martin and Fyfe have similar levels of production, according to most metrics, but Fyfe offers a certain level of leadership that you'd never get from Martin. So a Martin for Fyfe swap would create a leadership hole at Freo. Without a strong culture, I have little doubt Martin would go off the rails. Full credit to Richmond that they have managed to keep him on the straight and narrow. I doubt most clubs would have been so successful.

The premiership argument is somewhat silly because we have ample evidence that individual superstars are not that important to overall team success. Rance, one of the greatest modern day defenders, misses a season and Richmond wins the flag. Naitanui and Gaff miss the finals and West Coast wins the premiership. Buddy Franklin, by far the greatest forward of his era, leaves the Hawks and they win two consecutive flags. Dangerfield, arguably the game's best midfielder, leaves the Crows and they make the grand final. Gary Ablett Jnr, consensus best player in the league and one of the greatest of all time, leaves the Cats and they immediately win a premiership.

Richmond didn't win a premiership because of Martin. They won because they have a strategy that holds up against finals pressure and complete buy-in from everyone on their list. If they traded Martin for nothing next season their probability of winning the premiership wouldn't move a great deal. A premiership is a team award that an individual receives. The fact that a great player hasn't won a premiership isn't a blight on that player's reputation or resume.

Interesting point. I think Fyfes performance is more invariant than Martins. Martins seems to fall when not much is on the line or the team is going especially badly, but rises considerably when the team is going well and/or the game is important

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Fyfe is a bit more dynamic and has the added bonus of size (192cm) on his side. He's literally untaggable and his aerial skills are brilliant.

It was always Pavlich carrying the team but now it's Fyfe.

Martin has been at the height of his powers for four season. Needs to maintain this standard for quite some time like Fyfe has before he's the equal.

The first should have been Houli's who played a far superior game.

Also, Id bet before 2017 Richmond supporters would have talked down Norm Smiths because only a fraction of the players get the chance to win one.

But now apparently they matter a lot.
Shoulda woulda coulda, didn’t.

Do you even remember your own point anymore? You’ve taken two detours.
My point is,

Dustin Martin is better than Patrick Dangerfield and Nat Fyfe because he has performed in finals and being best afield in two grand finals.

That’s an argument someone with a brain makes.

******* easy to play well when nothing is on the line and your teams been pumped by 80 points. I’ve seen danger first hand turn to ******* jelly when there’s a grand final spot on the line.

All incredible players, Dusty thrives in finals, haven’t seen enough of Fyfe and danger falls apart.

I refuse to judge Fyfe on his junktime performances in junk games
Luke Hodge > Dusty

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Fyfe is a bit more dynamic and has the added bonus of size (192cm) on his side. He's literally untaggable and his aerial skills are brilliant.

It was always Pavlich carrying the team but now it's Fyfe.

Martin has been at the height of his powers for four season. Needs to maintain this standard for quite some time like Fyfe has before he's the equal.
Fyfe more dynamic! Is there a more dynamic player than Martin in the game. Not saying he is better than Fyfe, but probably the most classiest and dynamic player I have seen.

Fyfe more dynamic! Is there a more dynamic player than Martin in the game. Not saying he is better than Fyfe, but probably the most classiest and dynamic player I have seen.
Dusty only runs one way is what he meant

Glad you cats can speak for each other, not that I know what you mean. (I think you mean he doesn't do much defensive running, not that that has anything to do with dynamic football.) ps. Ablett's dad and son never did much two way running either.
Not sure what my comment has to do with Geelong or the Ablett's but since you brought it up Dusty had 56 tackles this year where as Ablett Jr had 108. Dusty is a one way runner and you don't seem to know what dynamic means.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure what my comment has to do with Geelong or the Ablett's but since you brought it up Dusty had 56 tackles this year where as Ablett Jr had 108. Dusty is a one way runner and you don't seem to know what dynamic means.
Explain your idea of dynamic because Dusty seem the personification of dynamic. And what has tackling got to do with two way running (as you alluded to in your previous post).

Explain your idea of dynamic because Dusty seem the personification of dynamic. And what has tackling got to do with two way running (as you alluded to in your previous post).
Dusty is great at outside running and knowing when to go forward and have a huge impact, he is good at playing inside and winning clearances because of his strength. They're his 3 great attributes. Fyfe is a better clearance player, a better mark, better inside mid and much better defensive runner.

You think dynamic means being awesome at being a midfielder-forward. It means being good at multiple facets and roles. Fyfe, Goodes, Hodge, Pavlich were dynamic.

CASEYS9420

Club Legend
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Dusty is great at outside running and knowing when to go forward and have a huge impact, he is good at playing inside and winning clearances because of his strength. They're his 3 great attributes. Fyfe is a better clearance player, a better mark, better inside mid and much better defensive runner.

You think dynamic means being awesome at being a midfielder-forward. It means being good at multiple facets and roles. Fyfe, Goodes, Hodge, Pavlich were dynamic.
I'll give you everything but the marking, Martin is an incredible mark, especially 1v1.

I'll give you everything but the marking, Martin is an incredible mark, especially 1v1.
they're both gun marks, Fyfe is great overhead and in a pack, Dusty is great 1v1

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond

Dynamic also means when the ball is in your vicinity you win it and do something with it. That is Martin's strength over anybody in the game today.

Back