Fyfe vs Dusty

fyfe vs dusty

• Fyfe

Votes: 87 50.9%
  • Dusty

Votes: 84 49.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

When your team is listed as Richmond, and your sig is all about richmond, I’m not sure just saying “for that reason alone” makes you as impartial as you want to appear.

My reasoning is based on Dusty's ridiculously good big game performances and his ability to impact a game with minimal possessions.

Don't be salty Andro... it's just an opinion.

For what its worth, I think a finals win for your boys isn't too far away :$

Jeez it feels like Dusty in finals is starting to be slightly overrated, he has stepped up in big games and no doubt is good on the big stage. He has had some poor games however and the prelim in 2018 was one of those.

I can't mark down Fyfe due to a lack of opporunity in those games and due to his consistency at such a high level i think he is the best in the AFL at the moment.

Jeez it feels like Dusty in finals is starting to be slightly overrated, he has stepped up in big games and no doubt is good on the big stage. He has had some poor games however and the prelim in 2018 was one of those.

To be fair he was injured in that game and shouldn't have played. Other than that his finals record is pretty incredible. I think the bigger knock on Dusty is that he doesn't run defensively and tackle - although Richmond now plan for him to play that way and have other mids covering him defensively - and looks at his best when Richmond are on top. He looked disinterested at times in 2018 - he really did not look like an elite player for most of that season. As others have pointed out, I don't think Dusty would be anywhere near as good if playing for Freo, or Carlton, whereas a Fyfe or Cripps have been dominant while playing for mediocre sides. That's actually the reason why I rate Cotchin highly - he had a Brownlow and AFLCA award, averaging 27 and a goal a game, in a year we finished 12th or 13th.

Yep, 2 x Gary Ayres awards would suggest Dusty in finals has been over hyped by us Richmond fans :$ :$

I really do hope he continues his sub-par September record for years to come!
No one said he had a sub par finals record, quit being so sensitive.

To be fair he was injured in that game and shouldn't have played. Other than that his finals record is pretty incredible. I think the bigger knock on Dusty is that he doesn't run defensively and tackle - although Richmond now plan for him to play that way and have other mids covering him defensively - and looks at his best when Richmond are on top. He looked disinterested at times in 2018 - he really did not look like an elite player for most of that season. As others have pointed out, I don't think Dusty would be anywhere near as good if playing for Freo, or Carlton, whereas a Fyfe or Cripps have been dominant while playing for mediocre sides. That's actually the reason why I rate Cotchin highly - he had a Brownlow and AFLCA award, averaging 27 and a goal a game, in a year we finished 12th or 13th.
Yeah that is probably fair and i agree he has regularly played great in finals it was by no means a big knock on him.

When judging these very great players you really have to split hairs to split them and it probably comes down to a little bit of preference over anything else. Fyfe is one of my all time favourite players so will probably have as much bias towards him as a Tiger would would to Dusty. It is also getting harder to make the comparison because Dusty has gradually spent more time forward over the past couple of years.

Yep, 2 x Gary Ayres awards would suggest Dusty in finals has been over hyped by us Richmond fans :$ :$

I really do hope he continues his sub-par September record for years to come!
That's all well and good, but I didnt mention a sub par September.

I think you are including me in a conversation that's happening in your head.

I can't mark down Fyfe due to a lack of opporunity in those games and due to his consistency at such a high level i think he is the best in the AFL at the moment.
He couldnt run in the '18 prelim. The only reason he played was because of who he was. Only 170 meters gained, his lowest for the year. Played 75% forward. Any other player would have been ruled out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He couldnt run in the '18 prelim. The only reason he played was because of who he was. Played 75% forward. Any other player would have been ruled out.

People forget his game in the 2018 QF against Hawfs, where he literally dismantled them himself.

The bloke is currently unrivalled in big game domination.

He couldnt run in the '18 prelim. The only reason he played was because of who he was. Only 170 meters gained, his lowest for the year. Played 75% forward. Any other player would have been ruled out.

I see a lot of excuses in this post.
Champions of the past played in many finals carrying injuries worse than Martin and excuses were brushed under the mat.

I see a lot of excuses in this post.
Champions of the past played in many finals carrying injuries worse than Martin and excuses were brushed under the mat.

Fyfe versus Hawthorn in a final. Carried the team on his back with a fracture in his leg.

He played the prelim injured, wasn't moving well at all. He shouldn't have played, but how could they leave him out? Would have still got flogged by 10 goals.

2x Gary Ayres award (player of the finals)
2x Norm Smith medallist

Does any other player have those claims? Hard to be overrated when you have something very few have in the history of the game.

He played the prelim injured, wasn't moving well at all. He shouldn't have played, but how could they leave him out? Would have still got flogged by 10 goals.

2x Gary Ayres award (player of the finals)
2x Norm Smith medallist

Does any other player have those claims? Hard to be overrated when you have something very few have in the history of the game.
The award is only new so no he would be the only one.

He was clearly injured....A big reason for why they lost that day.

That's just how fickle football fate can be....The Tigers are only ever an injury away to Martin, from dropping back to the field.

He was clearly injured....A big reason for why they lost that day.

That's just how fickle football fate can be....The Tigers are only ever an injury away to Martin, from dropping back to the field.
Rubbish, if it came down to just one player, Astbury who even the club admitted shouldn't have played, was the difference. His man Cox played his one and only great game of his career.

Back