• Dusty

Votes: 84 49.1%

• Total voters

GroggSquad

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I actually reckon Fyfe's skillset is more impressive - we've rarely (if ever) seen a superstar midfielder have such an incredible aerial ability and inside game.

Whereas superstar midfielders that move forward and kick goals seem to be a bit more common.

Dusty will leave a legacy in premierships at a big Vic club that is less likely to be forgotten by the masses though.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
They are both unstoppable forces when they want to be.

Fyfe does want to be a little more often.
They are after all, all great players. Some are better at some things i.e. Fyfe is the player you want getting the ball, Hodge was the player you wanted with the ball under pressure and Martin was the player you wanted to give the ball to. Who is better all round player, Hodge, because he was a champion for so long. At the end of their careers I would say Fyfe and Martin might top him.

Alvin Purple

Team Captain
May 10, 2007
By the Sea
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
don't stand a chance.
Yes I know it would be considered a biased view but Fyfe for me hands down.

I can't help but wonder how this post would have panned out if it was posted before the finals series.

Fyfe hasn't played for weeks and Dusty's dominance is fresh in everyone's mind.
Fyfe was named Captain of the All Australian side Dusty didn't even make the side.
Fyfe won the Brownlow and Dusty although ineligible finished equal 6th.

Don't get me wrong Dusty is a star and an explosive match winner.

I know who I would want one out in the goal square going for a mark, it certainly isnt Fyfe... Fyfe's strengths are classic midfielder traits. Bloke is just tough as nails.

Totally disagree with this and I think most that have seen enough of him would back Fyfe in a one on one marking contest.

AeneasX

Debutant
Jun 26, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Fyfe for me, 2x MVP is more illustrious company than 2x Norm Smith (especially considering one of those should be Houli's). Dusty has the luxury of playing in a far better team and can pull of the "cooler" plays but week in week out Fyfe the best player since GAJ for me. Additionally Fyfe's sole grand final appearance was prior to him reaching his prime and is fairly irrelevant in this convo. In saying this both are already greats and comfortably sit 1&2 in their age bracket.

Waca Jr

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I genuinely don't know whos better and I thought this would make an entertaining thread.

Compared notable achievements
fyfe
2 brownlows, 2 leigh mathew trophies, 2 B&F, 3 all australians and causing all girls out west having expectations of guys way to high.
Dusty
1 brownlow, 2 norm smiths, 2 premierships, 1 leigh mathew thropies, 3 all australians, 1 coaches association and having a name like dusty.

Some thoughts
fyfe isn't that bad kick anymore don't get me wrong hes not good but hes definitely improved,
dusty has his hair cut for aerodynamics.
dusty always seems to take things at pace which requires an amazing judge of what our oblong ball is gonna do.
Fyfes judge of the ball in the air is unparalleled.
Dusty is i believe a forward as he doesn't have the tank to be a full time mid and thus behaves as a forward who get involved with stoppages and pushes up the ground.
Fyfe is a midfielder hes only pushes forward when he has a mismatch or needs a rest he doesn't have the burst pace to create enough separation and trouble defenders. In saying that fyfes top pace is top 5 at fremantle so hes quite quick and over the long distance hes top five at freo quite a feat considering giro, brayshaw hill brothers and langdon.

Both are very much untaggable dusty just goes forward and fyfe just shruggs it off.
Only times i can remember dusty being tagged out of it was deboar earlier this year but their is some more probably.
Fyfe got given an absolute bath by jarrod berry last year and silvagni did a fine job this year.

Whats everyones thoughts.
*too

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes I know it would be considered a biased view but Fyfe for me hands down.

I can't help but wonder how this post would have panned out if it was posted before the finals series.

Fyfe hasn't played for weeks and Dusty's dominance is fresh in everyone's mind.
Fyfe was named Captain of the All Australian side Dusty didn't even make the side.
Fyfe won the Brownlow and Dusty although ineligible finished equal 6th.

Don't get me wrong Dusty is a star and an explosive match winner.

Totally disagree with this and I think most that have seen enough of him would back Fyfe in a one on one marking contest.

If Fyfe played in Melbourne, his status would be legendary by now.
Unfortunately, he's rarely mentioned in newspapers and those of us who do not have pay tv, he's rarely ever seen on live tv.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=15&type=A&pid1=3333&pid2=3316&fid1=C&fid2=C
Fyfe pretty much beats Martin in all major areas but goals. In my opinion, Fyfe will average well over 1.2 goals per game when his career ends.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
So he would be a much worse player had he gone to Gold Coast?
Not sure he'd be a worse performer, but he would not have enhanced his legacy proving those performances on the big stage, and certainly wouldn't have achieved the history making achievements he has.

He's been able to prove he is one of the great finals players, which is the stage where champions are ratified. It doesn't mean you need to dominate finals to be a champion, but it's a confirmer of the status not everyone achieves for a number of different circumstances.

To put in another way, it can only enhance your reputation compared to players that don't have that legacy, it can't do any damage to it. Therefore, it's something one player can claim that the other can't.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
This could've been a Richmond board topic if we'd taken Fyfe instead of Griffiths :(
In my view its the best mid at Richmond vs the best mid in the other 17 teams. I lean towards Dusty but I know I've got some bias in that - I don't know how much that is so I'm gonna say its too close to call.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Fyfe is more consistently outstanding, but Dusty is the better big game player, partly due to opportunity.

Honestly I couldn't split them. Fyfe's muscle at the stoppage and marking v Dusty's kicking and breakaway power into space.
I think this is a good highlight of the small, marginal differences.

One is better week to week, season to season, and they can change each week/season.

They have different strengths relative to each other, and you have mentioned some of them.

Both greats of the era.

Hounddd

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2012
🏆🏆🏆
AFL Club
Richmond
Fyfe is a genuine superstar, and like many have said, one of the best aerialists in the game.

He's 'on' more consistently than Dusty is, but forward of centre nobody is as dangerous as Martin. I know Fyfe's team hasn't given him as many chances to perform on the big stages, but so many very good players in the past have been in the same boat.

Dusty has won 2 x Gary Ayres awards and 2 x Norms. The bloke lavishes big games, and unlike Fyfe, he only needs 15 touches to rip a game apart. It's for that reason alone, I'd take him over Fyfe.

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Fyfe is a genuine superstar, and like many have said, one of the best aerialists in the game.

He's 'on' more consistently than Dusty is, but forward of centre nobody is as dangerous as Martin. I know Fyfe's team hasn't given him as many chances to perform on the big stages, but so many very good players in the past have been in the same boat.

Dusty has won 2 x Gary Ayres awards and 2 x Norms. The bloke lavishes big games, and unlike Fyfe, he only needs 15 touches to rip a game apart. It's for that reason alone, I'd take him over Fyfe.
When your team is listed as Richmond, and your sig is all about richmond, I’m not sure just saying “for that reason alone” makes you as impartial as you want to appear.

Back