Gabba membership vs Lions membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi everyone,

Just preparing for my return to Brisbane and was exploring the different options for next year. Any opinions of pros and cons of ground membership versus Lions membership?

The reciprocal rights to the MCG would be a bonus, as well as being able to go the cricket (although there aren't many games!).

Do the lions get any money from the ground membership?

Thanks in advance!

It may be worth your while mailing the Trust to see if there is a waiting list.

Disadvantages. Nowadays it is a bit expensive to join. $1000 I think. Then there is the yearly fee of $480 per membership with a guest pass for the same price. It is a bit lacking in atmosphere at times. Not guaranteed seats as it is on a first come first serve basis but I have not yet suffered a lock out in my 15 odd years of membership so that should not be a problem. The other disadvantage is that due to reciprocal rights many Carlton supporters turn up and act as if they, and they alone, have a deep and meaningful knowledge of the game. Considering that it is a members only area these cretins sadly ruin it at least once a season and if I was dictator they would be shipped to Christmas Island:D

Advantages are footy and cricket watched from position A. I would now never give up my membership for that alone and I have joined the Lions over the years as an armchair member to give back to the club.

Thanks John. This what I thought but wasn't aware of the feral issue once a year! I don't think that the waiting list is that long and they kind of hinted on the phone yesterday that I would be OK if I sent in an application now.

Have you every used the membership to go the MCC?

Thanks John. This what I thought but wasn't aware of the feral issue once a year! I don't think that the waiting list is that long and they kind of hinted on the phone yesterday that I would be OK if I sent in an application now.

Have you every used the membership to go the MCC?

No. But those that have have told me that they have generally had no issues. Not that any of my crowd has tried to get in on a game other than those with the Lions.

Will anybody else try to convince me that joining the gabba instead of the lions is bad thing despite the cost?
Just off the top of my head, joining the Lions:
- gives back to the Club and the Club acknowledges the years of membership.
- gets you discount vouchers for the Gabba shop. 20% for silver members, 15% for bronze, I think.
- gets you two free tickets per membership to bring guests to a game
- gives you priority to reserve seats through the Club for interstate matches before they are sold to the public.
- means you get all the Lions' publications like the Lions' Tales and end of season magazine which is full of Lions news, events, stats and bios on the players.
- discounted entry to places like Australia Zoo, Movie World and the Melbourne Aquarium on certain days usually when the players are in attendance.

I'm sure there are many other positives. I'm embarrassed I can't think of them now but I can't see what the benefits are in just being a BCG member (unless you love your cricket) :rolleyes:

Not for 2014 (I want voting rights for everything that's going on) but for 2015 I have considered changing to a Gabba membership mainly because of the flexibility of seating. I sit in section 5 and love it but when its raining its a pain.

The posts above are quite old so would anyone like to go through a list of the pro's a cons from their perspective?

The main issue I have with it currently is not a loss of voting rights but that none of the money (I presume) goes back to the club.

I am happy to say that I purchased my Gabba membership last week. I had posted a query about it last week but it seems something happened with the forum? Everything vanished. Anyway...good news is, unlimited footy :)

I am happy to say that I purchased my Gabba membership last week. I had posted a query about it last week but it seems something happened with the forum? Everything vanished. Anyway...good news is, unlimited footy :)

There was an issue where one night's worth of posts got deleted due to a server/admin stuff-up.

It may be worth your while mailing the Trust to see if there is a waiting list.

Disadvantages. Nowadays it is a bit expensive to join. $1000 I think. Then there is the yearly fee of $480 per membership with a guest pass for the same price. It is a bit lacking in atmosphere at times. Not guaranteed seats as it is on a first come first serve basis but I have not yet suffered a lock out in my 15 odd years of membership so that should not be a problem. The other disadvantage is that due to reciprocal rights many Carlton supporters turn up and act as if they, and they alone, have a deep and meaningful knowledge of the game. Considering that it is a members only area these cretins sadly ruin it at least once a season and if I was dictator they would be shipped to Christmas Island:D

Advantages are footy and cricket watched from position A. I would now never give up my membership for that alone and I have joined the Lions over the years as an armchair member to give back to the club.

I've looked into it for myself and family and haven't quite made the leap. I've been in there a few times and kind of agree with John's points. I think the atmosphere can be dull for footy games. I'm not completely sure it's position A. For footy I reckon the action tends towards the bench side of the ground for more of the game. For cricket it is a great view but does get quite a bit of sun I found.
Also, the Gabba is getting the less popular test next year against Sri Lanka instead of one against India and this may be a trend which continues if it continues to slip behind other venues. I'm not sure about the future of cricket and the girls in my family don't like it and wouldn't come to games anyway. I would have a slight pang of guilt that I'm not contributing to the club's coffers. The membership deal is a bargain compared to other grounds though and if the Lions and the venue do improve then getting in now could be especially so.

Last edited: