GABBA to host Grand Final

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Put simply, it's this - IF WE APPEASE THE FOOTY GODS AND KICK STRAIGHT, nobody can beat us.

I'm hoping the FOOTY GODS, in their omniscience, knew the GF was to be played here, and have ensured the team STILL has a big hump to get over to make it to the big dance and win it - thus, they have sabotaged our goal kicking.

It all makes sense, I can see this very clearly :D

LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Hi Friends

Cannot tell you how much this decision pleases me.

I can only make it you guys make it and win the whole damn thing (now that Carlton's season has gone up Fudge Creek)

Your state and government were the pivotal factors keeping this troubled season alive, and thus you got your just desserts by hosting the Big Dance.

Hope most of you swell folks are able to get tix to the game (even if Brizzle make it or not)

:)

Dynamics

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hiya Lions... We just moved away from the Springfield area this year, but I'm super stoked for all of you and for the footy community up there. I know our old junior club will be celebrating this wise choice by the AFL.

Hopefully AFLQ make the absolute most of this opportunity to really push the game in SEQ. Even better if the Lions can make it to the GF.

The Pies have had a s**t of a run so far so it will be an uphill battle for us to make it, but a Brisbane vs Collingwood GF at the Gabba would be epic. Some of my favourite games to attend have been us vs you in Brisbane.

Good luck for the rest of the season!

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I do think they should offer Victorian September members the same pledge/pay it forward/refund choice they did for regular memberships, but the ones demanding their right to buy a ticket, knowing they won't make it, is just selfish and robbing Queenslanders of an opportunity.

Pride of lions

Team Captain
Nov 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This is great news! I just hope the Lions can make it so all of the Queensland based supporters can get along and enjoy the experience. Being an MCC member I have been to well over 30 grand finals and they are such a great day, the atmosphere is electric. To attend the 3 peat grand finals were some of the most exciting and happiest days imaginable. The Queensland government have been incredibly supportive of the AFL throughout this season and thoroughly deserve to have the GF there. I am sorry that I won't be able to attend but so excited for all of our Queensland members that they might have an opportunity to get along and hopefully witness another Lions flag!!
I assume the Courier Mail will be full of sour grapes as they are owned by News Corp along with the Brisbane Broncos, so no doubt there will be lots of negativity from there. But hopefully people will be supportive of the decision and AFL gets a big boost from this decision.
I am so happy for you all, fingers crossed that things go the Lions way from here on in.

So much for the Brisbane home ground advantage.

B97C029A-D88E-4D56-BCA7-202B0655EA45.jpeg

As a Melbourne based supporter really stocked the Grand final is going to be at the Gabba. Cannot see there was any other option. Will be an amazing week regardless of who is playing but spectacular if it was us. As a gold afl member with a Brisbane lions September upgrade I may have to hitch a ride in the back of a truck if we make it. Let’s hope it’s a double event - Lachlan Neale Brownlow - Lions in the Granny.

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
I do think they should offer Victorian September members the same pledge/pay it forward/refund choice they did for regular memberships, but the ones demanding their right to buy a ticket, knowing they won't make it, is just selfish and robbing Queenslanders of an opportunity.

Assuming this is directed at myself (and Dylan12), you’re well off the mark. I can’t speak for Dylan, but I would take great pleasure in selling my ticket to someone who wasn’t fortunate enough getting one. Having forked out the $ for no return I’d love to be able to know/control who my ticket went to rather than simply relinquish that right and it go to anyone. Sorry if you think that’s a mean spirited thing to do.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Assuming this is directed at myself (and Dylan12), you’re well off the mark. I can’t speak for Dylan, but I would take great pleasure in selling my ticket to someone who wasn’t fortunate enough getting one. Having forked out the $ for no return I’d love to be able to know/control who my ticket went to rather than simply relinquish that right and it go to anyone. Sorry if you think that’s a mean spirited thing to do.
What makes you any different to a ticket scalper?

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So the way I figure it is as interstate fans still need 14 days quarantine and that they won't know if their team makes the GF until 7 days out. Ticket sales to the other club will therefore be very low. Meaning more ticket sales to lions members. And therefore Lions September members are pretty much guaranteed a ticket.

Now we just need to make it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Will be interesting to see how they allocate tickets, at the end of the day some will be unhappy as not everyone can get in.

How many pledge/september members are there in QLD? They'd get priority of course

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
What makes you any different to a ticket scalper?
So now Brisbane fans, irrespective of whether they are a member or not or have been for 20 years and failed to pledge or pay a mere $40 for the September upgrade, should be more entitled to a GF ticket than some Melbourne based fans, including Foundation Members of this very club and have paid the $40 September upgrade since it was first implemented by the club, knowing for over 10 of those years that the club had next to no chance of making the finals but still upgraded anyway?

What a ******* sense of entitlement you lot have. I hope every single eligible Melbourne member that pledged this year knowing they weren't going to get s**t other than a fridge magnet that contains the wrong fixture applies and gets a GF ticket.

As I said earlier, if those bandwagon Lions fans and members that got on in the last couple of years and still failed to pledge this year, whilst still getting a good batch of games or upgrade a mere $40 for a September upgrade then stiff s**t to them.

Perhaps they can whinge and tell someone who gives a s**t.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
How many pledge/september members are there in QLD? They'd get priority of course
Should they get priority over Melbourne members that pledged and were September Members or should the club just imply that some of those Melbourne members won't be exempted from getting into Queensland.

Remember, Brisbane Lions Football Club is just as much as Melbourne based fans club as it is Brisbane based fans club or anywhere else in the world if you are a paid up member. If the club is ever of the view that is not the case, then make it public, go back to the Bears and do what you like, but given the history of the club, it is a two state club based in Brisbane.

So now Brisbane fans, irrespective of whether they are a member or not or have been for 20 years and failed to pledge or pay a mere $40 for the September upgrade, should be more entitled to a GF ticket than some Melbourne based fans, including Foundation Members of this very club and have paid the $40 September upgrade since it was first implemented by the club, knowing for over 10 of those years that the club had next to no chance of making the finals but still upgraded anyway?

What a ******* sense of entitlement you lot have. I hope every single eligible Melbourne member that pledged this year knowing they weren't going to get sh*t other than a fridge magnet that contains the wrong fixture applies and gets a GF ticket.

As I said earlier, if those bandwagon Lions fans and members that got on in the last couple of years and still failed to pledge this year, whilst still getting a good batch of games or upgrade a mere $40 for a September upgrade then stiff sh*t to them.

Perhaps they can whinge and tell someone who gives a sh*t.
Might be time for a cup of tea and a calm down there.

Jeez.

What a ******* sense of entitlement you lot have. I hope every single eligible Melbourne member that pledged this year knowing they weren't going to get sh*t other than a fridge magnet that contains the wrong fixture applies and gets a GF ticket.

As I said earlier, if those bandwagon Lions fans and members that got on in the last couple of years and still failed to pledge this year, whilst still getting a good batch of games or upgrade a mere $40 for a September upgrade then stiff sh*t to them.

Zorko’s dream for his son
https://www.lions.com.au/news/805620

Last paragraph of the story above -

“The Club will provide updates to members regarding eligible member ticket access to the AFL Finals Series when this information becomes available. We appreciate members patience and understanding during this time and will communicate in due course when all information has been confirmed.”

Probably best we just wait until the information is released before going off half cocked?
Just a thought 🤔

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Should they get priority over Melbourne members that pledged and were September Members or should the club just imply that some of those Melbourne members won't be exempted from getting into Queensland.

Remember, Brisbane Lions Football Club is just as much as Melbourne based fans club as it is Brisbane based fans club or anywhere else in the world if you are a paid up member. If the club is ever of the view that is not the case, then make it public, go back to the Bears and do what you like, but given the history of the club, it is a two state club based in Brisbane.

I get your argument, of course we are a 2 state club, but we are still in the midst of hard border closures and a community that are absolute border closure death adders. If I was in your position I would probably be frustrated but the reality of it would be that if you start allowing interstaters in to go to the GF in any numbers it would be an election loser for the Premier, election is a week after the GF. Not saying I agree with any of what I just wrote but that is the reality as I see it.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes.

I think the real entitlement is the one where you believe you have the right to scalp tickets to games you can't get to and sell them off. You think you deserve to profiteer at the club's expense, do you?

Perhaps the same applies to you if it turns out you won't be able to buy a ticket. Or if you're not able to sell it, maybe it'll be stiff sh*t to you.

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
I think the real entitlement is the one where you believe you have the right to scalp tickets to games you can't get to and sell them off. You think you deserve to profiteer at the club's expense, do you?

Please point me to the post where the idea of profiting was floated, I missed it.

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes.

Perhaps the same applies to you if it turns out you won't be able to buy a ticket. Or if you're not able to sell it, maybe it'll be stiff sh*t to you.
I think you need to go back and read page 1 of this thread.
Dylan after talking about what the codes would be worth, says a couple of posts later he was being facetious and wouldn't seek to profit here as he has helped fellow supporters out last year.
Sorry couldn't help sticking my nose in.

Back