GABBA to host Grand Final

What a great day. Now we need to get on top of these little outbreaks and continue to catch those infected bikies as they fly in.

The melts from WA is insane. Even funnier when their own premier ran out these pearlers in August:

“We haven’t hunted it, we haven’t been desperate for it, we haven’t been pleading for it."

“We’ve played a bit hard to get.”

But yeah, everyone be mad at the AFL. They're obviously the idiots in this case. :rolleyes: :D

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
What a great day. Now we need to get on top of these little outbreaks and continue to catch those infected bikies as they fly in.

The melts from WA is insane. Even funnier when their own premier ran out these pearlers in August:

“We haven’t hunted it, we haven’t been desperate for it, we haven’t been pleading for it."

“We’ve played a bit hard to get.”

But yeah, everyone be mad at the AFL. They're obviously the idiots in this case. :rolleyes: :D
Now they cant host a final past Week 1.

Imagine an away Prelim at the Gabba.

Might make up for 2004

(realistically I'm sure WCE would pick Adelaide or something)

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Why do the entertainers have to be from Qld? Just because a band or singer is famous doesn't mean their song/s are the right fit for the GF.

Just have to go back to some of the failures at past GF's, who have been well known and liked .....and the successful one's e.g Lionel Ritchie who had the crowd rockin'

Get the best entertainer who sings songs everyone knows and can sing along too...
I was not saying they have to be from QLD Macmum but IMO for this extraordinary season and now grand final based in QLD i thought it would be a nice touch to have a QLD based entertainer that was all?

I was not saying they have to be from QLD Macmum but IMO for this extraordinary season and now grand final based in QLD i thought it would be a nice touch to have a QLD based entertainer that was all?

Pretty sure they'll be using qld entertainment and pushing qld tourism hard.

In the lead up to the grand final the actual premiership cup is doing a two week tour around regional qld with an as yet unnamed lions premiership player. It'll hit every major tourist destination in the state.

This is all about advertising qld to the biggest audience possible at a time when everyone who still has a job is planning that next big post covid holiday. The one they'll take while waiting for international travel to open up again.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Zorko’s dream for his son
https://www.lions.com.au/news/805620

Last paragraph of the story above -

“The Club will provide updates to members regarding eligible member ticket access to the AFL Finals Series when this information becomes available. We appreciate members patience and understanding during this time and will communicate in due course when all information has been confirmed.”

Probably best we just wait until the information is released before going off half cocked?
Just a thought 🤔
I haven't gone off half cocked, just simply replying to whoever it was stating that long standing Melbourne members that pledged and have the September upgrade should not be applying tickets or more so entitled to GF tickets. :rolleyes:

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I think the real entitlement is the one where you believe you have the right to scalp tickets to games you can't get to and sell them off. You think you deserve to profiteer at the club's expense, do you?
Who said I was?

How do you know that any Melbourne based member may not be able to get an exemption into that state for work reasons, as plenty of my colleagues have and continue to do and still be able to attend the GF. So you are saying the club should just blanket ban and play God as to which class of members should be eligible despite those same members pledging and paying for the September upgrade?

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Please point me to the post where the idea of profiting was floated, I missed it.
They just infer we would despite no one saying that.

Essentially, these same fly by night Brisbane members that probably don't have a membership or if they did, failed to pledge and have only been a member for two years because they were too shallow to follow a bottom four team or worst yet, aren't members, still want preferential treatment. I hope every one of them misses out because they aren't worthy anyway.

The club should be rewarding long standing members first and foremost.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers

Essentially, these same fly by night Brisbane members that probably don't have a membership or if they did, failed to pledge and have only been a member for two years because they were too shallow to follow a bottom four team or worst yet, aren't members, still want preferential treatment. I hope every one of them misses out because they aren't worthy anyway.

The club should be rewarding long standing members first and foremost.
Chances are you won’t be able to attend, so probably best to prepare for that scenario. It’s out of the clubs hands at this point.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I'm hoping as a 10+ year September member that I get a GF ticket if the Lions make it. I'd also like to go to the GF as a neutral if we don't, not sure of my chances with that though.

I noticed that Gill was saying re the crowd that 30,000+ was the goal, maybe they have a sellout as their best possible scenario.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Who said I was?
Who's going to check that you're not?

How do you know that any Melbourne based member may not be able to get an exemption into that state for work reasons, as plenty of my colleagues have and continue to do and still be able to attend the GF. So you are saying the club should just blanket ban and play God as to which class of members should be eligible despite those same members pledging and paying for the September upgrade?
I don't know that, but if it is the case for anyone, they should be required to show they have the ability to do so. But you'd rather have Queensland fans being locked out of a game just to benefit you or one of your mates.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Watching the Greg Swann interview from yesterday, the first thing that struck me was, it’s still that the AFL exists to support the VFL.

We won’t truly be a National sport until the final starts being moved around, and people move beyond “it’s a Victorian sport”.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I don't know that, but if it is the case for anyone, they should be required to show they have the ability to do so. But you'd rather have Queensland fans being locked out of a game just to benefit you or one of your mates.
Take your hand off it.

There is lucky to be 10,000 genuine Lions fans that have been consistent members for any length of time. Even then, probably only half of them pledged and upgraded the September option and of course they should be entitled to a ticket. But to suggest random Queensland fans that have never financially supported the club and feel entitled to a ticket when they'll be long gone when we are back languishing in the bottom 4 are more entitled to a ticket over Melbourne members that have pledged their 2020 membership with September upgrades and been a member and financially supported the club for well over 25 years is utterly absurd.

And if you think that Melbourne members (you know, people that love this club more than anything) would only try buying tickets to the GF to hold QLD fans to ransom, you are a dead set idiot and the suggestion is idiotic.

But sure, continue to make the argument that random Queensland theatre goers should be entitled to a GF ticket over any long standing Brisbane Lions member. :rolleyes:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Watching the Greg Swann interview from yesterday, the first thing that struck me was, it’s still that the AFL exists to support the VFL.

We won’t truly be a National sport until the final starts being moved around, and people move beyond “it’s a Victorian sport”.
I'm one who is all for the Grand Final being at the MCG permanently, love the tradition of it, whether we like it or not the MCG is the home of football.

For me it would be like taking the Melbourne Cup away from Flemington, the Masters away from Augusta or Wimbledon away from Wimbledon.

Please point me to the post where the idea of profiting was floated, I missed it.

Dylan said it twice. As I originally noted, I reckon he's joking especially given a smiley but this is a text medium, he doubled down on it, and it's easy to misunderstand tone on here especially if you haven't spent years reading the other person's posts.

Who knows we may want to gift our ticket to one of you muppets on here that doesn't sh*t us or ask you to buy it off us for double the price. ;)
And no, I wouldn't break the law and scalp my tickets. I'll be holding my own private auction and whoever wants to pay the most can get them.;)

FWIW again, I'll point out - I don't understand all this angst towards the club about something they haven't done and something they probably won't even have a chance to control. The AFL controls finals ticketing. The state government controls the borders of the state. Ticketek handles the finals ballot. It won't be imposed by the club.

Sometimes it feels like I'm shouting into a void.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And if you think that Melbourne members (you know, people that love this club more than anything) would only try buying tickets to the GF to hold QLD fans to ransom, you are a dead set idiot and the suggestion is idiotic.
I said no such thing. You're better than using straw man arguments.

Hope things clear up in Victoria soon.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
Dylan said it twice. As I originally noted, I reckon he's joking especially given a smiley but this is a text medium, he doubled down on it, and it's easy to misunderstand tone on here especially if you haven't spent years reading the other person's posts.

FWIW again, I'll point out - I don't understand all this angst towards the club about something they haven't done and something they probably won't even have a chance to control. The AFL controls finals ticketing. The state government controls the borders of the state. Ticketek handles the finals ballot. It won't be imposed by the club.

Sometimes it feels like I'm shouting into a void.
Facts not welcome, emotive arguments only.

Back