News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

PattyKwasagun

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Seeing as we look likely to be discussing this for a long time, I thought it deserved its own thread.

News so far:

International Olympic Committee announces Brisbane as preferred host for 2032 Summer Olympic Games

The International Olympic Committee's (IOC) Future Host Summer Commission has designated Brisbane as the "preferred candidate city" to host the 2032 Summer Olympic Games, a decision endorsed unanimously by the IOC's executive board.

The news was delivered by IOC president Thomas Bach during a press conference in Switzerland.

"We have unanimously after a very intense discussion approved this recommendation," Mr Bach said.

"The commission based on this decision will start more detailed discussions with the Brisbane 2032 committee and the Australian Olympic Committee about their potential to host the Olympic Games 2032."
The Gabba poised to be $1 billion Olympic centrepiece

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk wants an upgrade to the Gabba stadium as a central focus to Brisbane's bid for the 2032 Olympics.

The premier said the sports venue, which has been announced as the main arena for the state's Olympics campaign, would need to increase from 42,000 seats to 50,000 seats.

"There will not be a bad seat in the house," Ms Palaszczuk said in regards to the $1 billion makeover.
c79419a5739ea96052620b0c4c847d8089286b9d.jpeg

Stadium-exterior.jpeg

PattyKwasagun

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
News today:

Federal government agrees to fund half of Brisbane’s 2032 Olympic Games costs

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has guaranteed the federal government will cover half the costs for the 2032 Olympics, should frontrunner Brisbane be confirmed as the Games host.

The pledge was contained in a letter from Mr Morrison to Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, which arrived with the Premier late on Monday afternoon.

Ms Palaszczuk welcomed the funding commitment, saying the 50-50 funding agreement for Games infrastructure made the Brisbane bid more attractive.

“This is what I asked the Prime Minister for,” she said. “This is great news for Queensland.”

Ms Palaszczuk said Queensland had agreed to form a new Olympic infrastructure agency, jointly run by the state and federal governments, which would evaluate all venues and infrastructure spending.

“I always say we work best when we work together. This proves it,” she said.

Section 5

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

lionraven

Team Captain
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I so hope we win this bid. We get a bigger slice of that federal pie invested in SEQ. We get a bigger stadium that the Lions, Heat, Bulls or any other tenant could have ever financed individually. Brisbane could really accelerate in its development.

Back2Back2Back

In Fagan we trust.
Jun 1, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So what would we do while the Gabba is being renovated? Would Springfield be up in time for us to host some mens games out there? Or would we be like "Um so hey Gold Coast, 'member when you needed to come up here and stuff?"

I'd love to see the Gabba get a proper renovation. That lipstick on a pig thing they've done recently with the gates and painting spaces different colours was nothing compared to what is actually needed to be a high quality stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad