News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Important point to consider is how much not having a spiritual home ground can affect club culture/ fan base. You see it in sport a lot. I know we have a rich history behind us but 4 years is a long time. Teams that don’t have a settled home base that fans can resonate with can have a huge impact. Going to be interesting how we go about it. Hopefully we can bump up capacity at Springfield. Could have incentives around memberships during that period where you can get discounts and preference of seats for new stadium etc

I just don't see Springfield happening as a home venue for any senior AFL games. It's a distant third behind RNA and Metricon IMO. Just not enough infrastructure in place, and it's clear the club is not keen on an upgrade.

Like I said a few weeks ago after I'd spoken to Jake, he seemed really confident that the in-Brisbane venue (now confirmed as RNA) was going to happen.

Did a bit of playing around with my GIS software. Was surprised that the current arena is larger than I actually thought. Green is the dimensions of The Gabba. Obviously there would need to be some kind of reconfiguration - making the wings narrower, but you could possibly make the ground a little longer to compensate.

View attachment 1414575

As PKWAG says above Springfield seems to be a no-go. Not sure the existing members would be happy with an even greater reduction in capacity. As it stand there will still need to be some rationing of ticketing, with a possible discount in membership prices commensurate with the being fewer games available. Given the short turnaround between any decision and moving away from the Gabba, there may be a period where we don't have a home (much like the Suns had for half a season) where we play more in Melbourne.

If you read the Heritage listing it will be hard to redevelop. It mentions the layout of buildings including the grandstands and even the original toilet blocks.
You would need a Marvel sized oval, keeping the stands on the west and north, demolishing the open stands on the Nth/east and rebuilding them 15 - 20m east. Doubt you could increase capacity much do to being hemmed into such a small space. Perhaps temporary stands that can be reconfigured for the equestrian events in 2032.
They will need somewhere to play cricket, so everyone just needs to get on the same page.
Could you superimpose Marvel dimensions?

Important point to consider is how much not having a spiritual home ground can affect club culture/ fan base. You see it in sport a lot. I know we have a rich history behind us but 4 years is a long time. Teams that don’t have a settled home base that fans can resonate with can have a huge impact. Going to be interesting how we go about it. Hopefully we can bump up capacity at Springfield. Could have incentives around memberships during that period where you can get discounts and preference of seats for new stadium etc

Totally agree. I think this is why RNA is so, so appealing. Beautiful, historic venue, right in the heart of the city. It would feel like a home with a soul very quickly I think. So much so that we may continue to use it for some other games down the track too I think.

RNA would just be a dream result, really.

If we’d have known a decade ago that the Lions would be regularly in the top 4 with an $80 million facility being built, a brand new $1 billion+ Gabba on the way, and potentially a boutique stadium at the RNA, it would have seemed like some kind of fantasy world. Really quite nuts that we’re even thinking about it.

If you read the Heritage listing it will be hard to redevelop. It mentions the layout of buildings including the grandstands and even the original toilet blocks.
You would need a Marvel sized oval, keeping the stands on the west and north, demolishing the open stands on the Nth/east and rebuilding them 15 - 20m east. Doubt you could increase capacity much do to being hemmed into such a small space. Perhaps temporary stands that can be reconfigured for the equestrian events in 2032.
They will need somewhere to play cricket, so everyone just needs to get on the same page.
From https://www.statedevelopment.qld.go...3/bowen-hills-proposed-development-scheme.pdf:

A significant number of heritage properties exist within the precinct including the former Queensland Museum, early show pavilions, the exhibition show-ring grandstands and other RNA related infrastructure. It is intended that a significant portion of the precinct will continue to accommodate the RNA Showgrounds and the associated showground activities. While continuing to be a venue for major events, it is acknowledged that the RNA Showgrounds will benefit from a program of redevelopment and renewal that will see extensive mixed use activities established.
Redevelopment will also help to activate the showgrounds year round and contribute to the creation of vibrant precincts that have a positive interface with and enliven perimeter streets.

There's been plenty of redevelopment within the precinct in the past 15 years since that UDLA was declared, including show pavilions demolished or repurposed. I think there's plenty of wiggle room, but I think the RNA would probably favour keeping the visual aesthetic of the old stands.

Could you superimpose Marvel dimensions?

Sure can. Interesting, I never knew Docklands was slightly longer and narrower.

1654130294428.png

Totally agree. I think this is why RNA is so, so appealing. Beautiful, historic venue, right in the heart of the city. It would feel like a home with a soul very quickly I think. So much so that we may continue to use it for some other games down the track too I think.

RNA would just be a dream result, really.

If we’d have known a decade ago that the Lions would be regularly in the top 4 with an $80 million facility being built, a brand new $1 billion+ Gabba on the way, and potentially a boutique stadium at the RNA, it would have seemed like some kind of fantasy world. Really quite nuts that we’re even thinking about it.
I think the thought of further games down the track is very unlikely to happen.
The amount of money that would be required to get the ground back up to AFL standard for a singular game here and there would be unmanageable. As soon as the RNA take over more permanently the ground will get trashed, via horses and bulls jumping a trotting and shitting all over the field, concerts, shows etc.
It will be hard enough to manage during the 4 years we would be playing on it more permanently, with probably a 3-4 week period from late July to late August where it is unusable anyway.
But I am all for it as an option.

I think the thought of further games down the track is very unlikely to happen.
The amount of money that would be required to get the ground back up to AFL standard for a singular game here and there would be unmanageable. As soon as the RNA take over more permanently the ground will get trashed, via horses and bulls jumping a trotting and shitting all over the field, concerts, shows etc.
It will be hard enough to manage during the 4 years we would be playing on it more permanently, with probably a 3-4 week period from late July to late August where it is unusable anyway.
But I am all for it as an option.
It's only a couple of weeks turnaround after the show to get the ground back to AFL standard - the Giants stadium does this literally every year. They play a couple of games at Manuka and are then back at Olympic Park. The work would likely need to be done anyway, as they don't just leave it in a crappy condition for the rest of the year regardless. A couple of AFL games at the Showgrounds outside the show period wouldn't be that much better or worse than a concert for example.

From https://www.statedevelopment.qld.go...3/bowen-hills-proposed-development-scheme.pdf:

There's been plenty of redevelopment within the precinct in the past 15 years since that UDLA was declared, including show pavilions demolished or repurposed. I think there's plenty of wiggle room, but I think the RNA would probably favour keeping the visual aesthetic of the old stands.

Sure can. Interesting, I never knew Docklands was slightly longer and narrower.

View attachment 1414655
Thanks. Could you do Homebush? Reckon that would fit width wise, then we can see how far back the Nth/east stands need to go. Might need to rotate slightly counter-clockwise.

Last edited:
What is July/August like in Cairns or the NT?

Can see us playing the Suns up north in a few Q Clashes.
July/August is dry season, So the coolest time of year

September is generally when the humidity starts building up again

It's only a couple of weeks turnaround after the show to get the ground back to AFL standard - the Giants stadium does this literally every year. They play a couple of games at Manuka and are then back at Olympic Park. The work would likely need to be done anyway, as they don't just leave it in a crappy condition for the rest of the year regardless. A couple of AFL games at the Showgrounds outside the show period wouldn't be that much better or worse than a concert for example.
I can't think of a good reason why we wouldn't be playing at the Gabba for these one-off games for this to be necessary though. Once the Gabba is ready for AFL games, why play anywhere else?

In my view, once the Lions and cricket have moved back to the Gabba, a much better use of the ground would be as a Brisbane venue for the A-League (as mentioned be another poster here earlier), despite it not being an ideal configuration as an oval.

Last edited:
I can't think of a good reason why we wouldn't be playing at the Gabba for these one-off games for this to be necessary though. Once the Gabba is ready for AFL games, why play anywhere else?

In my view, once the Lions and cricket have moved back to the Gabba, a much better use of the ground would be as a Brisbane venue for the A-League (as mentioned be another poster here earlier), despite it not being an ideal configuration as an oval.
Thats pretty easily changed with modern desing and construction methods with regards to stadiums. There are ways you can design it so it can be transitioned on and off as required if that was the aim. you'd need to specify it strongly up front though. However I think more realistic for htem would be a redeveloped ballymore perhaps

What having a boutique stadium that is owned by a completely independant body to stadiums qld and the government does do is enhance the ongoing ability to negotiate better revenue deals, especially for the smaller games, with the gabba. Thinking 20+ years into the future its probably likely that we will go through periods of not great performance and therefore not great crowds. Its not secret that our revenue deal for crowds under about the 19k mark (from memory but the figure could be wrong) is horrendeous. If there is another venue in the inner city we can pit against that in lease negotiations then thats a massive plus as well.

I can imagine cricket liking this as a venue for a few years as well. and even ongoing as a gabba/albion halfway alternative. Gives you a bunch of years to try drop in pitches etc before returning to the gabba for them too.

The only issue is space as you're stuck in between the railway and the road. But they can do pretty amazing things these days with structures etc. going to be fascinating. Must be working like crazy given the timeframe they're on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Try to make the most of it, like perhaps play a couple home games in Melbourne (or maybe Darwin or Alice Springs) and then when the upgrades are completed you can ask for a couple of extra Gabba games the next few seasons to make up for it?

On the bright side once its all done the Gabba will be able to hold more spectators and will be a better overall place to watch the footy.

What having a boutique stadium that is owned by a completely independant body to stadiums qld and the government does do is enhance the ongoing ability to negotiate better revenue deals, especially for the smaller games, with the gabba. Thinking 20+ years into the future its probably likely that we will go through periods of not great performance and therefore not great crowds. Its not secret that our revenue deal for crowds under about the 19k mark (from memory but the figure could be wrong) is horrendeous. If there is another venue in the inner city we can pit against that in lease negotiations then thats a massive plus as well.
Are you suggesting we could have two home grounds, potentially, playing poorer-drawing clubs like GWS, West Coast and probably Tassie eventually at the RNA, and the rest at the Gabba? Is that really a saving though? We'd have to contribute to the rent and maintenance of two grounds rather than one. It would have to be a really good deal.

Plus the fact that members who've paid for a regular seat at the Gabba would have to go through the same process to pick a seat at the new ground, one with half or less the capacity -- what happens if you don't get a seat at the RNA?

Not necessarily deal-breakers but certainly these are issues that would have to be seriously considered.

Thats pretty easily changed with modern desing and construction methods with regards to stadiums. There are ways you can design it so it can be transitioned on and off as required if that was the aim. you'd need to specify it strongly up front though. However I think more realistic for htem would be a redeveloped ballymore perhaps
Ballymore isn't near high capacity public transport and is being turned into a rugby union centre of excellence. That ship has sailed. Given they don't get attendances big enough for Suncorp Stadium, I don't see a good avenue back into the city for Brisbane Roar unless it's the Ekka ground.

Ballymore isn't near high capacity public transport and is being turned into a rugby union centre of excellence. That ship has sailed. Given they don't get attendances big enough for Suncorp Stadium, I don't see a good avenue back into the city for Brisbane Roar unless it's the Ekka ground.
Not to mention that the Roar is not exactly on good terms with the Qld RU.

Are you suggesting we could have two home grounds, potentially, playing poorer-drawing clubs like GWS, West Coast and probably Tassie eventually at the RNA, and the rest at the Gabba? Is that really a saving though? We'd have to contribute to the rent and maintenance of two grounds rather than one. It would have to be a really good deal.

Plus the fact that members who've paid for a regular seat at the Gabba would have to go through the same process to pick a seat at the new ground, one with half or less the capacity -- what happens if you don't get a seat at the RNA?

Not necessarily deal-breakers but certainly these are issues that would have to be seriously considered.
Wouldn't we be just hiring the ground for these matches, rather than us being tenants?

There'd be no need to increase the size of the field to Marvel or Gabba dimensions, simply the minimum size required by the AFL would be fine, and they are happy with anything above 150m in length.

What it sounds like is they will simply knock down the current bleachers in the east/north of the ground, and replace them with a new, large stand perhaps 5m further back, containing all required facilities (including corporate) to make the ground AFL/ICC standard. There'd be no need to touch the heritage stands, beyond minor restoration where req.
Media facilities could be constructed at either the North or south end, these might end up just being temporary facilities, raised up on scaffolding or something. I can't see a need for permanent media facilities, but the RNA may have a different idea. Constructing one stand should only take 18 months or so plus 18 months of planning (which has probably already started). It's definitely achievable by March 2026

The ground has a real sense of character and charm, and with a small capacity and small field it would be packed every week with a real tight atmosphere - the exact opposite of soulless. It would be a Kardinia-like advantage.

On that note, I really hope the new Gabba manages to create some soul and character, I'm worried it will be a bland over-scaled stadium of concrete and plastic with no edge. Especially with the athletics track and 50,000 seats to fit in, it's going to have to be a big, long ground. That's going to kill some of the atmosphere I'm sure. And a hill at one end would be ideal, and very culturally appropriate for a Queensland olympics. But the "inside the box" bland Populous architects will never go for it. They'll cram in all the latest gadgets and tech, but no charm.

Wouldn't we be just hiring the ground for these matches, rather than us being tenants?
Of course, but you'd need to ensure that the ground was going to be available, and maintained to an AFL standard. These things come at a cost - I wouldn't think it's just a per-game thing.

On that note, I really hope the new Gabba manages to create some soul and character, I'm worried it will be a bland over-scaled stadium of concrete and plastic with no edge. Especially with the athletics track and 50,000 seats to fit in, it's going to have to be a big, long ground. That's going to kill some of the atmosphere I'm sure. And a hill at one end would be ideal, and very culturally appropriate for a Queensland olympics. But the "inside the box" bland Populous architects will never go for it. They'll cram in all the latest gadgets and tech, but no charm.

Whatever we get is bound to be an improvement in the current Gabba, which - let's be honest - has no particular character or charm other than what's provided by the spectators on a given day.

Whatever we get is bound to be an improvement in the current Gabba, which - let's be honest - has no particular character or charm other than what's provided by the spectators on a given day.
as long as the stadium allows the spectators to still provide that character, I don't really care what they do.

Modern stadiums are bland and boring really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back