News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished my tour of the new stadium. Lots of photos to share. One very interesting snippet of news is that when the Gabba is shut down, the Lions are planning to move to an upgraded existing interim venue in Brisbane with a capacity of about 25k. Work is well on the way to get this done, but they didn't want to make the venue known at this stage. Stay tuned!

Just finished my tour of the new stadium. Lots of photos to share. One very interesting snippet of news is that when the Gabba is shut down, the Lions are planning to move to an upgraded existing interim venue in Brisbane with a capacity of about 25k. Work is well on the way to get this done, but they didn't want to make the venue known at this stage. Stay tuned!
I am jealous, as a Gold Member where is my invite for a tour? 😕 so sad 😞

Very interesting. Trying to think what that could possibly be. QEII and, with significant renovations, the Showgrounds are the only two I could possibly think of that could even come close to fitting the bill.

Very interesting. Trying to think what that could possibly be. QEII and, with significant renovations, the Showgrounds are the only two I could possibly think of that could even come close to fitting the bill.
Agreed. It could be either, but I wonder if you could justify upgrading the Showgrounds on the basis that it's fairly dilapidated and this would leave a legacy that could be enjoyed by future Ekka patrons, as well as leave it as a venue that might support other events? Public transport-wise it's got it all over QE2.

I am jealous, as a Gold Member where is my invite for a tour? 😕 so sad 😞
I thought I saw some kind of notification for tours (email? Facebook?) a few weeks back. Not being Brisbane based I ignored it.

Agreed. It could be either, but I wonder if you could justify upgrading the Showgrounds on the basis that it's fairly dilapidated and this would leave a legacy that could be enjoyed by future Ekka patrons, as well as leave it as a venue that might support other events? Public transport-wise it's got it all over QE2.

As has been covered on here before, it would be pretty extensive works - in particular, the ground would need to be extended into where the current stands are to make it a workable AFL size. Certainly could make sense for that reason you mentioned though. The only downside would be that it would then function as probably a much better AFLW option than Springfield which wouldn't be ideal after building this whole facility.

As has been covered on here before, it would be pretty extensive works - in particular, the ground would need to be extended into where the current stands are to make it a workable AFL size. Certainly could make sense for that reason you mentioned though. The only downside would be that it would then function as probably a much better AFLW option than Springfield which wouldn't be ideal after building this whole facility.
Except I don't think there's any question of it being used for footy beyond the time required for the Gabba works to be completed. Plus, 25k is not an ideal size for AFLW. 10k much better.

Except I don't think there's any question of it being used for footy beyond the time required for the Gabba works to be completed. Plus, 25k is not an ideal size for AFLW. 10k much better.

10k is what we can see now, but over time and once they move the competition to spring the numbers could change. Going straight from the men's season to the women's gives fans the opportunity to continue going to games.

As opposed to now where we stop going to games, we get distracted by other things and summer sports and don't have that momentum.

We've avoided really hot or stormy days, while sitting in the sun watching a game during August/September sounds lovely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh another bit of news - Jake Anson will be moving on to work on the Gabba renovation after Springfield and Mystery Interim Venue.

I asked him if he could make sure he included 3 words in his submission:

DROP
IN
WICKET

He indicated it would be high in the list of requirements, so yay

I just heard Kevin Mitchell Jr let out an anguished scream.

Jake Anson today expressed the view that 5-8k in a 10k capacity ground looks great but it looks terrible in a 25k venue. I think we're a long way off from regularly exceeding 10k at the AFLW, but we'll see I guess.
Problem is that recent AFLW crowds have been around 1000 - 1500, which look terrible at any ground. The timing of the Gabba rebuild announcement is shame as there was no time to rejig Springfield to allow for 10K of portable stands which would have done the job for two seasons. Showgrounds would be cool but the site is too small. QSAC would take an Adelaide Oval/Geelong sizes ground within the current setup. Perhaps they can tie in a make over and capacity reduction as an athletics warm up venue. Looks like they have removed quite a few seats from the ends. Tidy that all up, create some kind of corporate space. $30m - $50m? I am sure Brisbane will want to host a couple of top tier athletics events prior to 2032.
QSAC-2021-2.jpg

Do you really think there's enough room for an AFL oval within the confines of the athletics track?

EDIT: Sorry, no, you're saying to rip up the athletics track, right? I dunno - Google Maps reckons the main stands are 120m apart, so it might be even skinnier than Kardinia Park. I'm not big on this, partly selfishly because it's terrible for public transport, or indeed any kind of transport, as parking isn't fantastic either. I used to work in the area when the Broncos played there and the traffic chaos that surrounded their games was awful.

Also, is Qld Athletics going to be ok with ripping their track up for years before the Olympics? From the state government perspective, how is that going to look politically - is the Courier-Fail going to put this on front pages for years?

Would this leave any kind of legacy for future use of the venue once the Lions move out, or is it going to add to the money down the drain that's been poured there over the last 40 years?

You rightly point out issues with the Showgrounds but I'm not convinced QSAC doesn't have major issues of its own. All will be revealed in time of course!

Last edited:
The Ekka would be ideal. Central with good Transport links. Not too difficult to remodel.
Ditch Trots track, place a single level Cantiliver Stand over Gregory Terrace. Demolish old Machinery Hill Stand and extend the Playing area out there and add a new stand . Would be a great asset for the Ekka and other community events needing a ground with a 25k capacity. Concerts etc.
QE11 lacks the transport links and would require new stands all round.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree, although I'd much prefer it to Metricon.
Yeah, as much as that location is terrible, I would at least keep going to games there. I wouldn't go to Metricon at all. The idea of travelling 90 minutes each way just to watch live footy is unappealing.

I wonder if one of the other SEQ councils (eg Logan or Moreton) are going to tip in some money to create an alternate venue? There isn't really a green field site in Brisbane that I can think of, QEII will surely be needed for athletics (and is a shithole), Ekka has major issues and Albion Park is being used for other sports and I think would be very expensive to renew as well as relocate trots and greyhounds (whose stakeholders would hate the idea, btw). I don't know Logan very well but Moreton has plenty of sites that could be used for a small-medium sized oval stadium. More cost though - not sure I can justify governments spending more money than is already being outlayed on sports infrastructure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back