Gabbie

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got a text from my brother in Townsville and all is ok there so far. Very windy and they have no power but he said the house - a wooden Queenslander - is holding up.
The worst of it will be a 100 to 200km North of Townsville.

Sky News is broadcasting live from several parts of the NQ coast now, and well beyond midnight. The reporter speaking now is in Bowen and it's literally blowing a gale behind him.

Great OP KC. I can only imagine being in Gabbie's position, on Magnetic Island, and she AND all people in and around the path of Yasi are in our thoughts. Everything's crossed for you guys.

Best wishes to you all :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I went to school in Tully and lived in Mission Beach where my Grandad is bunkered down right now. I've been through cyclones that were babies compared to this. Hope everyone is waking up safe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just got word that my uncle is alive and well on Magnetic Island and there are no reports of anyone dying or being seriously injured there so Gabbie should be just fine. Apparently the water system is down and they are airlifting in some fresh bottled water for the folks there.

But, I am sure she is fine.:thumbsu:

I just got word that my uncle is alive and well on Magnetic Island and there are no reports of anyone dying or being seriously injured there so Gabbie should be just fine. Apparently the water system is down and they are airlifting in some fresh bottled water for the folks there.

But, I am sure she is fine.:thumbsu:

Good to hear. My brother is ok also. No power or water but ok. His 2yo twins even slept through it all which is a great effort from them.

Hi Y'all - I'm really touched (serious) that you thought of me. :thumbsu:

Well that's something I don't wish to go through again by myself and 2 woofers for a long time. You wouldn't send your mother-in-law to a cyclone. Power went out my way 5.27 p.m. on Wenesday - the wind had already kicked in Maggie way but my friends in Townsville told me nothing was happening there then. Finally got power back on late this afternoon - I was so over the lack of air con for a start and cranking up the barbie just to boil a pot of water for a coffee. I'm a great whiz now at burning toast on said barbie. Another neighbour had a comment "treat it like camping out" - Errr hello I'm a 4 to 5 star gal, if they don't have room service I don't stay ther. I have terrific neighbours who have a generator and was able to store some perishables with them. I'd planned in advance to stock up on dry goods and swags of bottled water - they also come in casks now like a wine cask. Fancy that. I've not heard of water being flown over cos for a start it would have to have been by black hawk and there's only a couple of places to land one of those babies - the water did go off in Horseshoe Bay (where I live) for a few hours on Friday - i think it was Friday it's been a bit of a blurr - but all good now . We can't use the hose at the moment but the only ones who don't care are my woofers who are in need of a bath big time.

The vegetation around the island is a mess - If any of you know the place Picnic Bay looks like a bomb hit the trees. Horseshoe Bay copped a storm surge and the beach is now on the street along the front. Heaps of uprooted trees everywhere. I nearly cried when I saw it, actually had a bit of a weep early Thursday morning. What a mess.

Anyway, my house survived and all I lost was a couple of frangipani trees that were only small and some shrubs. Most of the mess in my yard was from branches and palm fronds from next door. My 2 coconut palms out the front had a sever case of the bent fronds so after sawing away with my little trusty saw they are now with the rest of the green waste on footpath.

From what I've been told I'm glad I didn't have TV reception as I don't think how I would have coped seeing what happened to Mission Beach - beautiful spot - and Tully. Geezus !!! I'm sure the "southern" media made a meal of that.

anyway guys, i'm off to watch some TV and tomorrow stock up the fridge and freezer.

Also, a big shout out and kudos to Kelly from ABC Radio who helped keep me and I'm sure thousands of other people sane during the night of Wednesday. As for my woofers, huh, they slept through the lot.
Cheers

Gabbie.

Wouldn't mind a trip for a game only if anyone wants a stay on maggie at my ponderosa to baby sit the woofers. House comes with air con/austar/barbie/10 minute walk to damaged beach but pub may make up for it.

If "Maggie" is a sexy housemaid, and "woofers" is a reference to her breasts, then you have yourself a deal, Gab.

If "Maggie" is a sexy housemaid, and "woofers" is a reference to her breasts, then you have yourself a deal, Gab.

Can't promise "woofers" being reference to breasts but I'm sure you would find plenty of Ingas/Astrids/Heidi's staying at BackPackers down the road to "converse" with. Said backpackers comes with a restaurant/bar as well.

Hi Y'all - I'm really touched (serious) that you thought of me. :thumbsu:

Well that's something I don't wish to go through again by myself and 2 woofers for a long time. You wouldn't send your mother-in-law to a cyclone. Cheers

Gabbie.

Well I might send mine. :D

Great news, Gabbie, glad to hear you are safe and well. Good luck with all the trials and tribulations that will without doubt follow as the clean up continues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back