Gaff’s contract extension. Eagle for life?

AFL Club
West Coast
Thread starter #1
Any word on how long it’s for? When it was first announced he was staying I kept seeing it was rumoured to be 6/7 years but I’ve never seen any reliable source comment on it. I recall on radio someone from west coast (think it was vozzo) saying that Gaff requested to keep the details private, when asked about how long he signed on for. I ask though, because a lot of the time word gets out and leaks somewhere. I’d be lying if I said the secrecy of it didn’t give me a bit of anxiety regarding his future of the club. Surely if one planned to stay with a club for the remainder of their career they’d be willing to let the public know... right? Gaffs at the age where signing a long term deal would basically solidify him as an eagle for life- hope that’s the case, but definitely not gonna get my hopes up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Candiru

Club Legend
AFL Club
West Coast
If he stays two more years then walks as an unrestricted free agent, I think I'd probably wish him well. We've got two years to see what we can do with our established talent. After that, there will be a transition.

dodgie

Senior List
AFL Club
West Coast
Wanting to keep it private screams that he's either signed a very short term deal, or that he doesn't want to have to deal with the constant speculation again like he did this year. I think the first is more likely. Wants to taste premiership success before he leaves to a lowly Victorian team for mad amounts of cash. If it wins us a premiership, I say good luck to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Stid

Club Legend
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins

Biggie

Arrogant
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco, Wildcats, ESH

End Game

Senior List
AFL Club
West Coast
Wanting to keep it private screams that he's either signed a very short term deal, or that he doesn't want to have to deal with the constant speculation again like he did this year. I think the first is more likely. Wants to taste premiership success before he leaves to a lowly Victorian team for mad amounts of cash. If it wins us a premiership, I say good luck to him.
The bold seems the obvious to me. If he signed a longer term deal, by declaring it he ends all speculation immediately . IMO, he either likes the speculation (which I highly doubt) or it is a short term contract, 1 most likely 2 years.

Chris_6678

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
I think it will be a 3 year minimum deal and on good cash.

Found something interesting out a few weeks ago about Gaff's misses in that she had applied for a job at another Perth School in August so to me it sounds like he had already made his mind up around August and maybe money was the issue? With Lycett coming or going that could have made a difference in money being asked.

Feeling Groovy

All Australian
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Given how easily players walk away from contracts now days, or clubs let them go if they clearly want to leave, and the risks involved for him in not signing a long term contract, it makes no sense to sign for only a couple of years.

Top Bottom