Gaff’s contract extension. Eagle for life?

Remove this Banner Ad

End Game

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Wanting to keep it private screams that he's either signed a very short term deal, or that he doesn't want to have to deal with the constant speculation again like he did this year. I think the first is more likely. Wants to taste premiership success before he leaves to a lowly Victorian team for mad amounts of cash. If it wins us a premiership, I say good luck to him.
The bold seems the obvious to me. If he signed a longer term deal, by declaring it he ends all speculation immediately . IMO, he either likes the speculation (which I highly doubt) or it is a short term contract, 1 most likely 2 years.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
I think it will be a 3 year minimum deal and on good cash.

Found something interesting out a few weeks ago about Gaff's misses in that she had applied for a job at another Perth School in August so to me it sounds like he had already made his mind up around August and maybe money was the issue? With Lycett coming or going that could have made a difference in money being asked.

Apr 8, 2016
Vietnam
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Given how easily players walk away from contracts now days, or clubs let them go if they clearly want to leave, and the risks involved for him in not signing a long term contract, it makes no sense to sign for only a couple of years.

upthecoastaz

Rookie
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Like someone else previously said, I reckon it’s a short contract. If it were a long term one I’m sure he wouldn’t have requested it be private. The only thing that would come from announcing it would be happy west coast fans and shutdown future speculation of him leaving, no? Can’t see any negatives in it. Definitely sucks, but I see it as he’ll help us win another flag and then he’ll bounce- would LOVE to be wrong though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

upthecoastaz

Rookie
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I thought it was a 6 year contract confirmed?

Maybe I’m imagining things if this many posters are so concerned.

Nah, nothings been confirmed. Gaffy specifically requested that the details remain private, which makes me quite anxious if I’m being completely honest. That said, as he said, he is really happy at the club and there is no real reason why he would want to leave (besides family of course) I know he loves west coast with his whole heart so I’m hanging onto that to help ease my fear of the unknown.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I don’t think there’s any reason why he’d turn down a 5-6 year deal though, that’s the rest of his career sorted financially wise. Just don’t think you can leave that sort of coin on the table, you’re one season ending injury/form slump away from losing the whole lot.. too much of a gamble. Sign the career deal, if he wants to leave in 2 years, the club will facilitate a trade.. Club gets adequate compensation, Gaff gets his cash (and hopefully a flag at the club he loves), everyone’s a happy camper. Of course.. he could just stick around for the 6 years and be a part of the 5fa :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WillieNillie

All Australian
Mar 31, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Was speaking to someone from the club about this. They said

- Gaffs sole reason for staying was because of the immediate reaction Adam Simpson had to the hit to Brayshaw. The fact Simo went down the bench to talk to him convinced him to stay. It was literally the only reason he gave the club for changing his mind
- His contract is 2 years and is getting over 400k overall less then what he could have got elsewhere
- Only reason we got this close as because of a third party deal

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

- Gaffs sole reason for staying was because of the immediate reaction Adam Simpson had to the hit to Brayshaw. The fact Simo went down the bench to talk to him convinced him to stay. It was literally the only reason he gave the club for changing his mind
- His contract is 2 years and is getting over 400k overall less then what he could have got elsewhere
I would have believed this post if it wasn’t for this first point. There’s no way Gaff would have even thought about his contract when he was sitting on the bench post hit. It may have been a factor when he was considering it after his suspension but I there’s no way it was “literally the only reason” that he resigned.

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast

Yeah nahhh.

WillieNillie

All Australian
Mar 31, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I would have believed this post if it wasn’t for this first point. There’s no way Gaff would have even thought about his contract when he was sitting on the bench post hit. It may have been a factor when he was considering it after his suspension but I there’s no way it was “literally the only reason” that he resigned.

LOL I think you missed the point. Gaff said when he signed 2 months later that the talk they had on the bench made him realise he couldn't leave this club, after the fact. I'm not saying he made the decision then and there. Im pretty certain this will come out in the press when its all said and done because it's something the whole coaching staff was told

I have no idea why it's only a 2 year contract. Didn't get a chance to ask, but I do know the third party deal is a bit messy, so am guessing it's related to that.

EDIT - In hindsight I wonder if he meant the third party contract is 2 years, not his AFL one.

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
LOL I think you missed the point. Gaff said when he signed 2 months later that the talk they had on the bench made him realise he couldn't leave this club, after the fact. I'm not saying he made the decision then and there. Im pretty certain this will come out in the press when its all said and done because it's something the whole coaching staff was told

I have no idea why it's only a 2 year contract. Didn't get a chance to ask, but I do know the third party deal is a bit messy, so am guessing it's related to that.

EDIT - In hindsight I wonder if he meant the third party contract is 2 years, not his AFL one.
But if that was the sole and only reason he signed like you say why did it take him so long to re-sign?

I’m not disputing that that talk on the bench contributed to him signing a contract, but it wouldn’t be the only reason.

WillieNillie

All Australian
Mar 31, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
But if that was the sole and only reason he signed like you say why did it take him so long to re-sign?

I’m not disputing that that talk on the bench contributed to him signing a contract, but it wouldn’t be the only reason.

I know as 100% fact also, The day the AFL ratified the contract is the day he signed it. His contract is as clear as mud as they say

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he really did only sign a short term contract.
He might still be planning to return to Melbourne in 2 years (or wants to leave that opportunity fully open) but feels that he has unfinished business at WC and wants to win a flag with us before then, along with having a sense of guilt and wanting to redeem himself/repay the club, and that this was more more important than potentially getting a bigger contract.

upthecoastaz

Rookie
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he really did only sign a short term contract.
He might still be planning to return to Melbourne in 2 years (or wants to leave that opportunity fully open) but feels that he has unfinished business at WC and wants to win a flag with us before then, along with having a sense of guilt and wanting to redeem himself/repay the club, and that this was more more important than potentially getting a bigger contract.

That was my view on it too. Unfinished business. Once we win a flag, I reckon he’ll bounce (as sad as it makes me) to a vic club, having felt like he accomplished what he set out to do with WCE and his teammates. I feel like we’re running on borrowed time with him, so Im really hoping he makes the remainder of his time at west coast one to be proud of. All that said, the “perfect world” in me says “nah Gaffy wouldn’t leave us, he loves west coast. Eagles or bust.” But I know it’s not realistic and can’t fault him for wanting to be back with family/getting paid millions. He’s been with us for almost a decade and always been a great servant of the club, so whatever happens, I’ll always be appreciative of the time he’s spent here and what he’s done for us. On that note! I’ll GLADLY be wrong and if he wants to stick around until he’s ready to hang up the boots than that’s fine by me!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back