Gaff coward punch assault on Andy thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
35 years Mathews has carried around his luggage. Bruns said in an interview today he is reminded of the hit evey day. Gaff will never be rid of this stain.
Neville Bruns said on radio that a 12 month suspension from the AFL should be given to Gaff. He's against the suggestion of red cards.

The 8 week suspension given to Gaff is the joint longest suspension in the AFL given this century. Matching the penalty given to former docker Dean Solomon in 2008.

Hamish Brayshaw said on radio that he thought such a (violent) act would result in an assault charge.

Gaff took 10 good character statements with him to the tribunal. (Including from Simpson and Worsfold.) How desperate and pathetic! What next, one from the WA Premier or Sports Minister?

Last edited:

I disagree. Everyone said the same about Adam Selwood when he made comments about Hedlands daughter. No one really remembers it now as it was a one off. And while I suspect people will remember Gaff getting the equal longest suspension in the past decade for a mis timed punch, he is too kind a bloke to have this hanging over his head his whole career. He probably wont find himself in any MRP scrutiny for the rest of his career, and this will be considered a one off. He wont be remembered as a thug like hall, Baker, etc.

Bad luck to Brayshaw. Hoping he can heal quickly and be fit again soon.
why is he kind? Cuz hes bluenyella? Seems like an insincere ******* when interviewed. NicNat, McGovern, Priddis seem like nice fellas. Gaff seems non-distinctly nice or nasty.

Neville Bruns said on radio that a 12 month suspension from the AFL should be given to Gaff. He's against the suggestion of red cards.

The 8 week suspension given to Gaff is the joint longest suspension in the AFL given this century. Matching the penalty given to former docker Dean Solomon in 2008.

Technically not the same, but the Essendon blokes were banned for a year...

1925 Fred Rutley of North Melbourne: Charged with two counts of kicking Sid Hall, striking Lloyd Hagger, striking Arthur Coghlan, striking Stan Thomas, and melee involvement. Suspended for life - reinstated after sitting out 89 matches.

Danks was banned by the tribunal for Life (okay, he's not a player).
Some blokes served 5 year bans for match fixing in 1910.

Quote Gaff:

"I own my actions and it really hurts a lot. The last 48 hours have probably been the toughest couple of days of my life. The people that I've spoken to know the world of pain I'm in and how much I'm suffering.

"I see myself as a caring, gentle and measured person. That's why it's disappointing.

"I'm disappointed for Andrew, I'm disappointed in myself, I'm disappointed to let my teammates down at an important time of the year and I'm disappointed to let my supporters down as well.

"For the time being, I'm going to surround myself with my friends and family and those who care for me most. But once again, I just want to apologise wholeheartedly to Andrew and I hope he gets better soon."

ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously IP ...what do you want him to say?

This is a perfectly normal response from someone who has seriously ****ed up and knows it.

If he'd read a statement that didn't own it ....he'd have his detractors saying didn't own it.

Anyway I've used this to talk to my son about never swinging - those days need to be done.

Seriously IP ...what do you want him to say?

This is a perfectly normal response from someone who has seriously ****** up and knows it.

If he'd read a statement that didn't own it ....he'd have his detractors saying didn't own it.

Anyway I've used this to talk to my son about never swinging - those days need to be done.

IMO the focus should have been more on the victim, and not on how much the perp is hurting and going to surround himself with the people who care for him most.

Apparently Angus Brayshaw and Gaff are having a meeting this week
o
See, this is what concerns me: the Brayshaws being put through way more than Gaff will.

Pre-hearing I spared a thought for Gaff, now changed my mind. So remorseful, Gaff says 'I meant to hit him in the stomach, no I mean chest' - what was he doing even speaking in his own 'defence'? He'll go to some pragmatic Vic club where he'll have minimisers, even admirers (Carey, Matthews, Hall - violence didn't harm their career trajectories or confidence). All Gaff's wallowing 'me, me, me' focus post-hearing just screams the self-absorbed entitled generation.

As for the Brayshaws..... Hamish at West Coast - loyalty conflict, gotta be some fallout. Angus at Melbourne - is he being encouraged to have a meeting so Melbourne can smooth the future path for Gaff to go there? More loyalty conflict. He shouldn't have to 'have a meeting'. Our Andy - black teeth, maybe plastic surgery, implants at 18, 'will my teeth/jaw' be ok fears every match to have to put aside - or not; veteran Ballas never seemed quite the same after his whack. What'll happen to his fearless tackles?

Gaff might have gone down - for now - but he's sure taken plenty with him.

IMO the focus should have been more on the victim, and not on how much the perp is hurting and going to surround himself with the people who care for him most.

Fair enough.

I pray Brayshaw can recover mentally.

Hypothetical: Gaff immediately post whack stops and signals for a trainer. Ie acts like it actually was accidental contact to the face. How many weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hypothetical: Gaff immediately post whack stops and signals for a trainer. Ie acts like it actually was accidental contact to the face. How many weeks?

As for the Brayshaws..... Hamish at West Coast - loyalty conflict, gotta be some fallout. Angus at Melbourne - is he being encouraged to have a meeting so Melbourne can smooth the future path for Gaff to go there? More loyalty conflict. He shouldn't have to 'have a meeting'. Our Andy - black teeth, maybe plastic surgery, implants at 18, 'will my teeth/jaw' be ok fears every match to have to put aside - or not; veteran Ballas never seemed quite the same after his whack. What'll happen to his fearless tackles?
Hamish supposedly organising the meeting, my guess is Hamish is rattled but as Gaff's teammate and as someone who supposedly looks up to Gaff he understands how out of character this was and how likely the incident really was a chest/shoulder punch gone wrong. Angus plays for a team on the other side of the country and thus cant give Gaff the benefit of the doubt and he came across as furious on the radio today, this is obviously to smooth things out between the two of them which is a good thing.

Makes no difference imo.

You punch someone you’re liable for the consequences. What they do before or after shouldn’t come into it.

I like NicNat, I like Gaff, and I actually like most of the Toast players. Much better than the mob that ran around when they were flaunting the law, and the law won.
But Nizzy is an unconscionable, disengenuous, sleaze bag of the highest order.
Cannot believe a Bunbury grade footy player has come so far:think:

Did we bag Nic Nat when he did his knee?

I keep hearing this.

Nope.

I don't know about this entire site - but I was disappointed as I love the big fella even though he wears the revolting blue and yella. In fact looking at how hard the road back is going to be for him I think it will be a real shame if the game loses him prematurely.

This kind of accusation leveled at Freo posters smacks of desperation as I sincerely think (especially after reading a lot of the eagles board - some of the comments are breathtaking as they are cold) some west coast supporters cannot process their own players guilt - the stark act in the cold light of day - their behaviour at the ground after the incident plus how badly their club [Nesbitt & Simpson] have handled this whole mess. They are struggling with the somewhat understandable humiliated confusion they are experiencing as they rarely copp the rough end of the pinapple in the arena of public opinion due to their media sponsors always screening for them.

He opened with an apology to Brayshaw (as per standard practise), said his piece and closed with a final apology to Brayshaw. I don't think he could do much more, and personally I think he has done as best as he could speaking to the media - including after the game.

But Nizzy, Simpson and now Grace... Very poor effort collectively. That defence was appalling.

He opened with an apology to Brayshaw (as per standard practise), said his piece and closed with a final apology to Brayshaw. I don't think he could do much more, and personally I think he has done as best as he could speaking to the media - including after the game.

But Nizzy, Simpson and now Grace... Very poor effort collectively. That defence was appalling.

I still think he should not have attempted to defend himself. THAT was a poor effort.

And when you give far, far more air time to how much you're suffering....believe me, young Brayshaw - along with his family - will have plenty of suffering ahead.

Hamish supposedly organising the meeting, my guess is Hamish is rattled but as Gaff's teammate and as someone who supposedly looks up to Gaff he understands how out of character this was and how likely the incident really was a chest/shoulder punch gone wrong. Angus plays for a team on the other side of the country and thus cant give Gaff the benefit of the doubt and he came across as furious on the radio today, this is obviously to smooth things out between the two of them which is a good thing.

What does any of this have to do with our young players broken jaw?

Who is the victim again??

Honestly - whatever happens now should be private between Gaff and the Brayshaws.

I frankly do not give a * about Gaff's character. It is irrelvant to the act he carried out.

I think WCE should count their lucky stars... He was lightly punished by the tribunal in my opinion. 8 weeks in the bubble of AFL - a GBH charge -Court and likely prison sentence in the real world.

All WC could care about was submitting character references after he pled guilty... just trying to shave off a week or two for that hopeful GF appearance.

Lets see how Brayshaw is doing in 8 weeks compared to Gaff lying on a beach feeling sorry for himself thinking about with club to go to to chase the $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back