Gaff coward punch assault on Andy thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too many ex-players getting media gigs when they don't deserve it. Everyone then knows each other and is mates with each other and that's how you get a boys club. We need more people like Huddo, Adam Papalia and Jason Bennett in the footy media. More Daisy Pearces would be good too.
They wouldn't know what a job not involving football and sport is. Or have the skills, qualifications and attitude for it. They're a bunch of parrots who are slaves to their biology to analyse and obsess about every angle, distance and speed of a kicked ball.

Last edited:

Let's park St Gaff's suffering to one side for a mo, and look at possible life down the track for Andy Brayshaw.

While 'let's-all-shake-hands-forgive & forget' is being orchestrated by Brayshaw senior (a tad too hasty for me; let it happen, but more naturally over more time) Andy Brayshaw's significant mouth injuries are being effectively ignored.

Best case - all heals hunky-dory, no ongoing nerve pain, arthritis, deformity, tenderness, impaired function, implants work like a dream etc. Not a shred of PTSD. Regains all the muscle, weight, fitness, and appetite for the contest that he had pre-assault.

But what if it doesn't work out like that? Fact is he's not going to know for quite a while. In a compo/insurance claim case, he'd be required to wait at least a year before the full extent of 'pain and suffering' could be known and given a (dollar equivalent) value.

Will Andy B be encouraged to declare or get recompense for resultant problems? (which, according to root cause analysis, would all have begun with Gaff's haymaker) Or will he feel obliged to put up, shut up and 'move on'?

I was ready to move on but have just read that another player has been charged with assault, one of Gaff's protogetes' Tony Olango. Apparently violence is a pre requisite to join the Eagles now.
Its ok though because he was playing imaginary golf with his victim a week earlier
Thats why Nisbett wanted him on the team
SCUMBAGS STRIKE AGAIN...

Nation wide search underway for Tony Olango's junior cricket coach

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gaff may well have shown good character up until Sunday afternoon.

I thought he spoke well after the match with David King and after the tribunal. I also think he looks truly remorseful.

However, since smashing Andy Brayshaw he has:

Run away from Brayshaw leaving him writhing on the ground.

Continued to play the game while the Eagles crowd treated him as a hero. That Eagles crowd may not have known what happened, but it was an extremely unsavoury scene and Gaff could have said No, I will not go out there.

Ditto with teammates treating him as a hero. He could have spoken to his teammates at 3/4 time and asked them to show respect for the situation. He may have done so and his teammates have no idea. Again he could have said No, I will not go out there.

He allowed the Eagles to mount a ‘defence’ in his name. He could have said No, I will not do it.

On Sunday afternoon he may not have been thinking straight. By Tuesday he had time to process the situation.

Whilst saying No may have been hard to do, someone who is of special character would have found a better way through that mess.

Everyone who knows or knew Gaff in person have stood up for him. Maybe they all have a point.
That he should’ve only got 3 weeks given the Dennis Denuto ‘good guy’ defence? He looked at Andy Brayshaw, swung a full fist, ruined his mouth and ran off without considering his welfare. Sounds like a top bloke to me :thumbsu:

Brick throwers and Koolaid drinkers actually getting along for the first time in a long while with a common cause ;)
Weird stellar tide. I've watched 20mins of 360 this week.
Only time I've thought Slobbo and the Caviar sucker had anything to think with.
Watching King and McClure attempt to drag society back into a cave, and spoof in each others' toupees was a bit grainy.
Cate Jenkins was measured, human and a bit cluey; she put the good bloke furphy in context, including Australian rates of domestic violence and dead females.
Australian male violence stats are disgraceful.
Australian males are good blokes.

Thanks for your tele tips bigfooters.
A week's a long time in footy.

I'm still in the "I don't buy the sincerely remorseful" camp but I'm also not in the harass him until he breaks down camp either. Situations like this tend to be polarising and more often than not I tend to find myself in the middle or just off centre.

No doubt he's upset and feeling something for Brayshaw but the way he admitted guilt and said there are no excuses but then tried a myriad of attempts to defend his actions, points to feeling sorry for himself more than true remorse imo. He's only 26yo and his morally bankrupt club would have done more harm than good in coaching him through it but c'mon, come out and accept it like a real man or a woman. None of this scrambling "I just meant to push", "I was aiming at the stomach, sorry I mean chest", "my old principal and my teammates think I'm great"... Just "I severely screwed up and I'll wear the penalty" - it's not like you are in a court of law where you'll do time... the worst that can happen is sitting out an extra week ffs. This whole bloody circus, created entirely by West Coast, has completely taken away from the real issue of poor Brayshaw's welfare and how can we try and stop or at least reduce the chance of this happening again.

Obviously Mark Brayshaw has come out given his position in the AFL and asked people to respect Gaff. I don't see it as requesting sympathy for him but attempting to stop the bullying and those wishing him harm. The mob who feel that anyone not being sympathetic to him are "just emotional and over-reacting" are no better than the pitchfork mob. Good people can make mistakes but they should have to at least earn back the respect with their own actions before we act as if nothing has happened. Our focus (in relation to Gaff) should primarily be on stopping the bullying and harassment, not feeling sorry for a perpetrator and turning him into the victim.

I was hoping for a slightly harsher penalty to show we've progressed as a society in regard to violence but at least he won't play again this season and we can now move on (with this issue) and focus on young Brayshaw's recovery.

However... I am still disgusted by some of West Coast's supporters efforts on social media. They truly are a bunch of sooks when they don't get their own way. Some idiot called up the radio and blamed it on Ross Lyon yesterday. That pretty much sums up the mentality of 95% of what I've seen from WC fans online and on the radio. I get that all clubs have some dumb supporters but geez they'd have to have the largest proportion in the league wouldn't they? And their incessant crying about the media in the last couple of days... it's absolutely laughable. Simpson summed it up best with his deer in headlights reaction to Basil's questioning... "What? Why are you asking me hard questions? Wait! I'm not Ross Lyon. You've clearly made a mistake Basil." Nisbett on the other hand is just an absolute low life - he needs to go and I suspect it's something a large number of WC fans would agree with as well.
Great post WTG!

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

All this good bloke , brain fade lets move on bullshit has turned the narrative . Gaff is now being portrayed as a victim . Brayshaws sickening injuries are suddenly being overlooked and its all now about poor good guy Gaff s ability to get on with the rest of his life. Some are even throwing blame on Brayshaw . Ffs what alternate universe are we living in when the gutless king hitter is now the victim and the bloke who had his face broken must share the blame. Its a shitty world we live in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we accept that the position of Brayshaw's head moved from the moment Gaff began swinging his arm, then we have to accept that had Brayshaw turned his head a little further sideways and lower, we could now be dealing with a fatality.

The force of Gaff's blow would surely have shattered Brayshaw's temporal bone, the result would have been catastrophic.

Thank goodness that did not occur. It could have.

Who gives a flip, about the head moving, ducking here and there, ………………………. if you don't throw a punch, this incident never happens !!!!!. Grade 1 kids would understand that, you hit, you are in the manure, FULL STOP.

A lot of what has also come out of this whole incident is how much of a boys club the AFL still is. So many mates patting each other on the back. So many guys getting away with things because "we're all mates here". Nobody wanting to take a stand for what's right because nobody wants to be different or rock the boat. If you do take a stand, you're not one of the boys. David King backing up Gaff because they're mates. Wayne Carey backing up Simmo because they're mates; and so on...

AFL will never change its culture if this boys club culture continues.

Great post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All this good bloke , brain fade lets move on bullshit has turned the narrative . Gaff is now being portrayed as a victim . Brayshaws sickening injuries are suddenly being overlooked and its all now about poor good guy Gaff s ability to get on with the rest of his life. Some are even throwing blame on Brayshaw . Ffs what alternate universe are we living in when the gutless king hitter is now the victim and the bloke who had his face broken must share the blame. Its a shitty world we live in.

King needs to display some remorse for his performance in this matter. Even Gaff has shown some remorse (when they told him how clearly it was shown on video), it is just not right if King doesn't show some remorse too.

I say again, where's the focus on Andy's indeed sickening injuries? Saying blithely "he'll heal" (unlike St Gaff the Martyr) might not be correct. You'd hope so but sadly it's not always the case.

A young, very fit family member had bad road accident at similar age to Andy, the extent and enduring significance of injuries took months to emerge and meantime his mental and physical health took a big hit. It's taken several years for him to get back on track - though minus the sporting career he had before.

So Andy's injuries are confined to his jaw, mouth and teeth - but are they? Time will tell, not the next 5 minutes.

Enough of the Gaff-for-canonisation movement. The mateship counter-movement'll look after him. Who's going to look after Andy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back