Gallagher?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bring Back Roo Ruckle
Didnt Gallagher get traded to Adelaide- because on the AFL site with the "best teams" Gallagher is still in your lineup (as an emergency)

EMG: Marsh Gallagher Shirley

???????????

Just wondering!

Go Roos

Jimbob "Good Gallagher" was a real find last year off the rookie list.

David "Bad Gallagher" was hopeless and while he has some ability this is completely offset by his total lack of awareness. That Carlton traded Nelson for him must be seen as an absolute coup by the Crows - even if Nelson is only a fringe player. :)

David Gallagher

Stevo for Club Champion in 2002

David did play well on the weekend and I noticed he did alright in the trial games/wizard cup. It appears David is happier in Victoria and I wish him luck because I actually think he was harshly treated while at the Crows by some supporters. The poor boy was always the butt of everyones jokes etc.

Has anyone seen his tattoo?????? Looks like it covers a large amount of his back! Maybe he has had a real change of personality!

k
xx

Without being too tough on the boy, I would have traded David "Bad Gallagher" Gallagher for a butcher of Toohey's light. The fact that we got a player, an ex Sturt player no less, was a sensational bonus.

Having said that, you would expect his disposal to dramatically improve this year. He's become used to kicking to non-crow jumpers.

Originally posted by tinman
Jimbob "Good Gallagher" was a real find last year off the rookie list.

David "Bad Gallagher" was hopeless and while he has some ability this is completely offset by his total lack of awareness. That Carlton traded Nelson for him must be seen as an absolute coup by the Crows - even if Nelson is only a fringe player. :)

Absolute coup by the crows??? I doubt that. Nelson is a dud who is also slow. Gallagher has really impressed me so far and is at the very least quicker than Nelson, who isn't tall enough to play key position, and not quick nor skilful enough to play anywhere else. I haven't seen any of the terrible disposal so far that Gallagher is renowned for and am very happy with the dealat this stage. However, surprisingly the Massie-Eccles deal is a bit of a nothing trade so far because we haven't had much of a chance to see anything.

So he actually played well on the weekend. Good grief.

I remember switching on the radio on Saturday afternoon and hearing something along the lines of ".. and Gallagher falls over" followed a few seconds later by " .. and Gallagher gives away a free kick."

I switched the radio straight back off assuming St Kilda must have been up by at least 10 goals :D .

Good to see him doing ok at the new club though, just so long as he doesn't play well against us :) .

Garth

You will always find that not many trades will work out evenly for both parties. [i'm sure a whole host might soon appear on this thread to disprove this comment! :confused: ]

James Gallagher appeared to line up in the forwards on some occasions so maybe he is being looked at as a crumbing type which appears to be lacking on our list.

I haven't seen the stats of our list compared to others but I'd say we'd average more height than a lot of them.

Originally posted by Blues2001

Absolute coup by the crows??? I doubt that. Nelson is a dud who is also slow. Gallagher has really impressed me so far and is at the very least quicker than Nelson, who isn't tall enough to play key position, and not quick nor skilful enough to play anywhere else. I haven't seen any of the terrible disposal so far that Gallagher is renowned for and am very happy with the dealat this stage. However, surprisingly the Massie-Eccles deal is a bit of a nothing trade so far because we haven't had much of a chance to see anything.

If you have been impressed by Gallagher then prepare to be disappointed! I agree Nelson is not over endowed with pace, and because of this his disposals are often under pressure.
I still think this trade is a huge win for the Crows, even if Nelon is a fringe player that plays ten games a year for us.

Massie/Eccles will be interesting. Both boys can play, Eccles is class but has struggled with injury for three years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by tinman

If you have been impressed by Gallagher then prepare to be disappointed! I agree Nelson is not over endowed with pace, and because of this his disposals are often under pressure.
I still think this trade is a huge win for the Crows, even if Nelon is a fringe player that plays ten games a year for us.

How will it be a huge win for the crows if he is a fringe player? Nelson would have been delisted anyway. I am more than happy with Gallagher, believe me. I expected absolutely nothing, and I believe we have something to work with. Certainly not brilliant, but not as terrible as I had heard. He is also 3 years younger than Nelson so he could have more improvement in him.

Originally posted by sapaul
Gallagher was only a fringe player too, I would take Nelson over Gallagher anyday.

Well naturally I disagree. I think they both left their respective clubs as fringe players. However, Gallagher's start at Carlton has been more impressive than Nelson's at Adelaide. Of course, we can't really know properly until the end of the season.

BTW, what position did Gallagher play on the ground at Adelaide?

Originally posted by Blues2001

Well naturally I disagree. I think they both left their respective clubs as fringe players. However, Gallagher's start at Carlton has been more impressive than Nelson's at Adelaide. Of course, we can't really know properly until the end of the season.

BTW, what position did Gallagher play on the ground at Adelaide?

Generally half back.

Does it matter who is better anyway?
If the trade hadn't been done, Gallagher and Nelson would probably both have been delisted. Isn't it good that both clubs think they have gained something out of the deal, and the two boys get a chance to continue their careers in their home environment?

Originally posted by dogs105

Generally half back.

Does it matter who is better anyway?
If the trade hadn't been done, Gallagher and Nelson would probably both have been delisted. Isn't it good that both clubs think they have gained something out of the deal, and the two boys get a chance to continue their careers in their home environment?

Absolutely. I hope they both do very well.

I just think that comments such as "absolute coup for the crows", or "this trade is a huge win for the crows" are pretty much rubbish. Don't you?

Yes I do, give Nelson time, besides we won and Carlton didn't, when Nelson has more time on the field he will be a good acquisition for us, Gallagher fumbled too much for my liking, Nelson's better use of the ball will be proven in due time.

It was a win for the Crows just to get rid of D Gallagher off the list. Don't care if he goes on to be a champion for the Blues, because I no longer have to get fustrated with him in a Crows jumper. So if we get any good use out of Nelson, it is a bonus.

Originally posted by sapaul
David actually played quite well for Carlton on the weekend, he never dropped marks like he did when with us.

I have always reserved my judgement about him until I saw how he played at another club. It seems he may be a fringe player at Carlton, but at least that was better than he delivered at the Lifesavers.

Having said all this, I see he is out with an ankle injury this week.

Tredders#16

who won in trades?

As a Carlton supporter with a lot of Adeaide friends, I remember Gags getting pilloried for terrible decision making and disposal. I never minded Nelson, but he is a bit slow, had been at the club for 5 years, was 26 and had no future at CFC.

Gallagher has been a revelation at Carlton, he's gutsy, and his disposal is perfectly acceptable. Best of all he plays the small backman role that Rice did so well for many years.

All reports of Eccles out of Adelaide have been glowing, but according to those who watch VFL games, he seems to have no penetration with his kicks, perhaps a legacy of hammy injuries? The mail isn't big on Eccie at the moment.

Massie on the other hand, took ages to develop, but he was the No 7 pick in 1997, and finally got some bulk last year, and was settling down as a pretty good player until he broke his leg. How's he travelling?

If you look at all 4 players, my simple analysis at this early stage would be - both clubs did ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back