Health Gallbladder removal

cmBuzza

Debutant
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Just wondering if anyone on here has had their gallbladder removed and what the experience was like with the recovery?

After just completing a long pre season I’ve had to book in for surgery which will be around round 1, so I’m just wondering what the recovery times are like as I have massive FOMO with my footy. I’ve read many things like that it takes a full 6 weeks to recover or you can start running after a few days.. I even heard Eddie betts had his removed then played a week later??

and also how much time is actually required off work? I work in a trade so my job is pretty labour intensive. Am hoping to get back to work pretty quickly

cheers

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Assuming it will be done via laparoscope? A couple of family members have had it. They were in pretty rough shape for the first week, but improved rapidly after that and at the end of a fortnight they were feeling pretty good.

The reason they tell you it takes six weeks to recover is the surgery messes up your abdominal muscles pretty badly. Even after you feel fine, you're still healing and if you start living heavy stuff or whatever you can do some real damage.

Talk to your doc but they'll probably say 1-2 weeks off work, then light duties until the end of the six weeks. I'd nix the footy for a full six weeks, not worth the risk.

twotooto

late bloomer
Sep 26, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Just wondering if anyone on here has had their gallbladder removed and what the experience was like with the recovery?

After just completing a long pre season I’ve had to book in for surgery which will be around round 1, so I’m just wondering what the recovery times are like as I have massive FOMO with my footy. I’ve read many things like that it takes a full 6 weeks to recover or you can start running after a few days.. I even heard Eddie betts had his removed then played a week later??

and also how much time is actually required off work? I work in a trade so my job is pretty labour intensive. Am hoping to get back to work pretty quickly

cheers

Recovery time will depend on each individual(age, fitness, overall health, due diligence around recovery etc) and most significantly whether or not you're getting keyhole surgery or the full open cut surgery.

If it's just keyhole surgery, it will likely be done without cutting any/minimal abdominal muscles. Should be out of hospital the same day and not unreasonable at all to be raring to go in 2 weeks, give or take. If you're young and already fit that will surely help.

If it's the full open surgery, then yeah, that will take much longer and be much more painful - will also be in hospital for at least 2 nights, possibly/probably more. That will involve the full cut = cutting lots of abdominal muscle and surrounding tissue etc = much discomfort. Again, depends on each individual, but 2-3 months recovery time(especially if working in a physically demanding role/contact sports) isn't uncommon at all

*FYI: I had the full cut, reasonably fit, was rooted for a fair while - 2 months+ before confident lifting anything heavy. Basic things like sitting down/standing up from sitting position, getting in and out bed/changing position, etc were all quite the mission for the first month or so(even snapping one off was a mission :poov1:).

Good luck with it!

Look forward to it, 38 and the males for 4 generations above me all had it around 50. Apparently as painful as getting shot

Can confirm. It really is excruciatingly painful. Have you had any attacks yet? Words cannot describe the pain I tellsya! Honestly, if it's in your family and/or you've already had some attacks, I would recommend just booking in and getting it removed. You will be glad you did.

-----

Not a doc, just speaking from personal experience. YMMV, take with a pinch of salt, blah yada blah blah

Last edited:

cmBuzza

Debutant
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Assuming it will be done via laparoscope? A couple of family members have had it. They were in pretty rough shape for the first week, but improved rapidly after that and at the end of a fortnight they were feeling pretty good.

The reason they tell you it takes six weeks to recover is the surgery messes up your abdominal muscles pretty badly. Even after you feel fine, you're still healing and if you start living heavy stuff or whatever you can do some real damage.

Talk to your doc but they'll probably say 1-2 weeks off work, then light duties until the end of the six weeks. I'd nix the footy for a full six weeks, not worth the risk.

thanks mate and yeah getting the keyhole done!

Recovery time will depend on each individual(age, fitness, overall health, due diligence around recovery etc) and most significantly whether or not you're getting keyhole surgery or the full open cut surgery.

If it's just keyhole surgery, it will likely be done without cutting any/minimal abdominal muscles. Should be out of hospital the same day and not unreasonable at all to be raring to go in 2 weeks, give or take. If you're young and already fit that will surely help.

If it's the full open surgery, then yeah, that will take much longer and be much more painful - will also be in hospital for at least 2 nights, possibly/probably more. That will involve the full cut = cutting lots of abdominal muscle and surrounding tissue etc = much discomfort. Again, depends on each individual, but 2-3 months recovery time(especially if working in a physically demanding role/contact sports) isn't uncommon at all

*FYI: I had the full cut, reasonably fit, was rooted for a fair while - 2 months+ before confident lifting anything heavy. Basic things like sitting down/standing up from sitting position, getting in and out bed/changing position, etc were all quite the mission for the first month or so(even snapping one off was a mission :poov1:).

Good luck with it!

Can confirm. It really is excruciatingly painful. Have you had any attacks yet? Words cannot describe the pain I tellsya! Honestly, if it's in your family and/or you've already had some attacks, I would recommend just booking in and getting it removed. You will be glad you did.

-----

Not a doc, just speaking from personal experience. YMMV, take with a pinch of salt, blah yada blah blah

I was hoping the recovery wouldn’t be too awful as I’m in my early 20s and in good nick, if anything a bit underweight due to the gallbladder! How do you go with eating now? I’ve heard some people still can’t have fatty foods even after the surgery.

twotooto

late bloomer
Sep 26, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
thanks mate and yeah getting the keyhole done!

I was hoping the recovery wouldn’t be too awful as I’m in my early 20s and in good nick, if anything a bit underweight due to the gallbladder! How do you go with eating now? I’ve heard some people still can’t have fatty foods even after the surgery.

If it's keyhole the recovery should be pretty straightforward(it's a relatively minor op) - don't reckon you'll experience that much pain as not a lot of cutting going on. With open surgery there's a lot more cutting happening and internal trauma, hence longer recovery. Getting on to it early, like you seem to have, is a good thing. Will save you a lot of hassle down the track.

You'll be able to gauge how you feel about increasing physical activity/workload as you progress - would definitely listen to what your doc/surgeon says though.

Re foods now - my diet is fairly healthy but I find I can indulge a bit with no real side effects. Think it's dependent on each individual though - have read about people having issues with certain foods(you are correct).

If there were certain foods you ate and found it led to discomfort/pain or a full on attack(if you've had one of those you'll know about it) but you'd still like to eat them after the operation, then I would suggest waiting at least a couple of months and then introducing them slowly and see how it goes. Your doc will be able to advise the best course of action though.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Last edited:

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Younger brother (42yo) had his done today at Wagga Hospital. Surgery was at 4pm and they are keeping him overnight but he was feeling ok when I spoke to him this evening

cmBuzza

Debutant
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Hey guys just a quick update, had the surgery yesterday and had to stay overnight. Can’t believe I thought I’d be running in a few days, in quite a bit of pain!
Basic things like sitting down/standing up from sitting position, getting in and out bed/changing position, etc were all quite the mission for the first month or so(even snapping one off was a mission :poov1:).
You’re not wrong about snapping one off, I’m not looking forward to it!

Back