Gambling ad on the Opera House; Alan Jones bullying and apology

That’s correct. It wouldn’t survive as it is without gambling. Horse racing would still happen though. Winx and black caviar prove that it isn’t all about gambling though.
How so? How would those horses ever have been bred and trained to that standard without gambling on racing putting resources in?

It would be a small sport for rich people instead of a huge sport mostly for rich people.

Labeling it "moral outrage" is simply a tactic to de-legitimise the rules, the law, and public opinion.

This
SO MUCH THIS

Just lazy

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
How so? How would those horses ever have been bred and trained to that standard without gambling on racing putting resources in?

It would be a small sport for rich people instead of a huge sport mostly for rich people.
Solely was the word you used mate.

Solely was the word you used mate.
And rich people would gamble privately over these races. As they did in the past.

So, to clarify:

The industry is designed around gambling. It would collapse without it, becoming a small hobby of some rich people.

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
And rich people would gamble privately over these races. As they did in the past.

So, to clarify:

The industry is designed around gambling. It would collapse without it, becoming a small hobby of some rich people.
Rich people are so bad.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
upload_2018-10-10_13-2-44.png

Sep 16, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
While not a great look, neither of those advertised gambling. Neither of those are events solely held for the purpose of gambling. Neither of those showed commercial logos beyond the sports logos themselves. Neither of those broke the rules on what can be projected on the OPera House. Neither of those had broad public opposition. You could take gambling away from cricket or rugby and they would operate fine.

Horse racing is solely about gambling.

It's a step too far.

I think you're looking for evidence to support your existing opinion. The 'contradictions' you claim exist are not valid.

Someone with a beef against racing can still have an opinion. In fact their opinion is probably more considered than most.

Labeling it "moral outrage" is simply a tactic to de-legitimise the rules, the law, and public opinion. In fact you haven't addressed the Opera House rules or the law of the land being overridden.

This is simply a case of commercial interests (including Jones with his own interests) bullying public servants in order to override the rules and the will of the broader public.

I don't know why people are going in to bat for these commercial interests. The people with the money couldn't give less of a toss about the public but for the money to be made from bets.

Perhaps moral outrage was a bit of hyperbole on my part, the essence of what I was trying to point out is that it seems to me that people are being selectively upset and moving the line of acceptability to suit themselves. You're right that this display broke the rules of use (specifically Section 3.7 of the Illumination of Sydney Opera Sails Policy - though it is a little ambiguous because the rules also say that projections of images and patterns can be approved at the discretion of the CEO which pretty much overrides it) but so did the the displays for the other sports that I've already mentioned. My contention is that people are now making a moral judgement on one event over another and then referring to the fact that it is breaking the rules as the reason for stopping it. Where was this level of outrage when the rules were "bent" in the past?

At no stage was there ever a design contemplated that directly advertised gambling. We can disagree over what would happen to horse racing if gambling was taken away but in terms of a direct link between an event and gambling I think you're splitting hairs to suggest that racing is different because a major source of its revenue is from gambling yet cricket and rugby also have commercial arrangements with gambling agencies (Bet365 for both CA and the Wallabies).

Sep 16, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Wallabies and the cricket team are our national teams, they represent us and they have tradition. This is a two year old horse race set up by private interests because they were sick of the Melbourne Cup hogging all the limelight.

I share you cynicism regarding why the race was set up in the first place but it was done in partnership with Racing NSW and had the unqualified support of the Government. The idea might have originated in the "private" sector but it's naive to think that the Government (of either persuasion) aren't salivating at the idea of having an event that can draw some tourists away from Melbourne in the spring time. For all of the arguments around horse racing being solely about gambling there are unquestionable economic benefits to having a high class event in your city. The jury is still out as to whether this will ever get there but why wouldn't the Government be supportive and assist with promoting it?

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I share you cynicism regarding why the race was set up in the first place but it was done in partnership with Racing NSW and had the unqualified support of the Government. The idea might have originated in the "private" sector but it's naive to think that the Government (of either persuasion) aren't salivating at the idea of having an event that can draw some tourists away from Melbourne in the spring time. For all of the arguments around horse racing being solely about gambling there are unquestionable economic benefits to having a high class event in your city. The jury is still out as to whether this will ever get there but why wouldn't the Government be supportive and assist with promoting it?
Then put the Laser Light show on the wall of Alan Jones mansion.....what could possibly be the problem with that?

Sep 16, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Then put the Laser Light show on the wall of Alan Jones mansion.....what could possibly be the problem with that?

I'm not sure where you have got the idea that I support how Jones has behaved in all this or have tried to deny that he is pushing this barrow for his own gain? I'm simply asking where the outrage was when the rules around using the Opera House were being interpreted in exactly the same way to support different sporting events which also have links to gambling, which seems to be the major issue that people have with all of this.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not sure where you have got the idea that I support how Jones has behaved in all this or have tried to deny that he is pushing this barrow for his own gain? I'm simply asking where the outrage was when the rules around using the Opera House were being interpreted in exactly the same way to support different sporting events which also have links to gambling, which seems to be the major issue that people have with all of this.
Maybe, but its not my major issue

Mine is as I explained it to you earlier

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
8-14 October is the NSW government's Responsible Gambling Awareness Week.

You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. Seriously.

https://www.responsiblegambling.nsw...awareness/responsible-gambling-awareness-week
If you can’t control your gambling then don’t gamble. I know from personal experience that it’s tough but when it comes to the crunch it is your own fault. Gambling establishments only exist because of the demand for gambling. However, no one should be allowed to gamble on credit!

Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon

The most egregious thing would have been that Samsung event. I'm still interested in how the Opera House justified putting that on.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
The Wallabies and the cricket team are our national teams, they represent us and they have tradition. This is a two year old horse race set up by private interests because they were sick of the Melbourne Cup hogging all the limelight.
I would go on to say that there's a difference between the generic green and gold with the Wallabies logo that was shown on the Opera House and showing an advertisement for an event involving the Wallabies you would expect to see in an ad on the house. And I could see how the latter would be rejected.

If there was a generic animation of horses racing with no company logos not further advertising there would be no problem IMO.

Where exactly was I making any inference about any of those things? My beef is that this is even an issue to begin with. Where was all the jumping up and down and change.org petitions when the Ashes or the rugby were being blazoned on the sails? They are linked to gambling just like the races, but the wowsers were silent then.

All of those issues that you raise are relevant here and played a part in the final decision that was made, I just think that the pretence that made this an issue in the first place is pure (selective) elitist posturing.
Alan Jones did not bully anyone when the rugby or ashes were on. The issue is jones acts like a drop kick and the political parties just lick his boots.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
FWIW I don't have a problem with sport being promoted on the Opera House... Although the merits of a horse race being used are questionable at best. As has been pointed out the Wallabies and the Australian cricket represent the nation. The Everest is neither or those and doesn't have the tradition of other races such as the Melbourne Cup. As a hypothetical I could understand the latter event being promoted on the opera house due it's place in Australian culture (although obviously unlikely due to the whole Sydney v Melbourne thing, but that isn't the point).

I do have a massive problem with the way the self-flagellating parrot went about it. The guy is a cancer on society and we'll all be better off without him.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
And here comes Leb to **** it all up lol

SOMEONE watched sharri tonight......
REPEAT - leb is taking his talking points from sHARRI ******* mARKSON LOL !!!!!

There's low , then there's being a murdoch fanboi
I thought meds had that on lockdown lol
Good to see Sky News embracing diversity on their screens by hiring people with speech impediments.

RupieDupie

Guru
Jun 30, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
How come Jones et al have not come out yet admitting that the display was purely to promote gambling on a particular race, the Eureka, or the Ettamogah, or whatever Australian building/event it was named after?

How come Morrison didn’t promote the “race” considering the ample advertising space on his frame and the time he spends in front of the camera, at his position as the PM. There’s still time Morrison, it’s not on until next Tuesday!

Back