Gambling ad on the Opera House; Alan Jones bullying and apology

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I don't disagree with you but there has to be a fair balance.
Take for example the recently introduced MBL's (minimum bet limits). A punter is only allowed to win $2000 MAX. But they can lose as much they want.
The MBL rules were brought in because betting companies have a reputation for banning winning punters. It is written in the new rules that they can no longer ban punters just because they keep winning. A mate of mine is a pro-punter who has been banned from every bookie in the country, because he wins.
The gambling industry prays on the weak.
I don’t disagree with you here!

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cultural spaces are good and all, but I'd say it's more about most Australians don't like gambling. It's a life breaker and they know it. So they don't like seeing it up on the opera house and having the pretentious prick using the language he did. Egomaniacal. I can't use strong enough words to describe my disgust at the language he used. The pompous, patronising, patriarchal over inflated language he used.

TimmeT

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Even with all the publicity only got a 40k crowd for “da richest ever horse race”
That was the biggest crowd at Randwick this century and also was up 20% from 2017. I think the organisers would be happy with that.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
The question is, who is going to do anything about it? The hopelessly corrupt right wing coalition state government? The hopelessly corrupt right wing Labor state opposition?

Truly NSW is a state of choices.

And this is it for racing in NSW - they’re all in on it. Racing NSW, the ATC, the media, the opposition and the government. There is truly no independent estate, anywhere.

It’s an incredible situation. It makes the AFL look like a model of governance.

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
1st world problem.
Shock Jock slams a bureaucrat. Conspracy theorists join with new money inner city virtue signallers to exaggerate and revolt. Media inserts wooden spoon and stirs.

Things must be pretty bloody good if this issue was classed as newsworthy.

Stop. Think for a moment. Be grateful we live in the most beautiful country on earth with FREEDOM to yell and scream about sweet f'all.

I support all sides in this storm in a teacup. Everyone's view has merit.

Never allow the nanny state to shut you up or to legislate against any individual freedoms. That includes your individual right to be an idiot.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Wow! Had no idea about any of that... What a shifty piece of work he is!! It beggars belief that behaviour of that nature can go along un-checked.

There is no independent estate whatsoever when it comes to NSW racing.

Zero oversight

Zero accountability

Zero independence

And I mean zero.

RupieDupie

Guru
Jun 30, 2017
AFL Club
GWS

Truth is coming out in the wash, here's what a surprise face looks like :0 here's what another surprise face looks like :O yet here is the face I had while reading this article :| (neutral face).

This is what I have come to expect from our corrupted society, with the corrupt politicians and media leading the way, as per usual. Not surprising our holier than thou Hill-song cult PM was leading the charge.

1st world problem.
Shock Jock slams a bureaucrat. Conspracy theorists join with new money inner city virtue signallers to exaggerate and revolt. Media inserts wooden spoon and stirs.

Things must be pretty bloody good if this issue was classed as newsworthy.

Stop. Think for a moment. Be grateful we live in the most beautiful country on earth with FREEDOM to yell and scream about sweet f'all.

I support all sides in this storm in a teacup. Everyone's view has merit.

Never allow the nanny state to shut you up or to legislate against any individual freedoms. That includes your individual right to be an idiot.

Stopped reading at " virtue signallers "

lazy

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Subscriber only

cliff notes ?

Alan Jones’ long-term racing partner John Leaver was in his pyjamas when the Australian Federal Police raided his Point Piper mansion late one evening in October 2013.

Mr Leaver’s arrest attire only came to light when the prominent broadcaster gave the Australian Tax Office both barrels on his radio program the following morning.

Jones’ spray against the ATO following his racing partner’s arrest is just one of a number of occasions where he has used his radio program to attack - or praise – interests associated with thoroughbreds. Rarely does he disclose his substantial financial interests in the thoroughbred industry, worth between $20 million and $40 million, according to industry insiders.

Recently, when he threatened Sydney Opera House chief executive Louise Herron with the sack if she failed to promote Racing NSW’s The Everest on the Opera House’s sails, he made no mention of this interest.

On Tuesday, a fulminating Jones said people had accused him of "[saying] what I said [because] I live at the Toaster, and I own racehorses. That was my motivation. I think you're reaching to the bottom of the birdcage if that's the best you can do." A short time later he gave a grudging apology to Ms Herron.

Jones did not have a horse starting in what has been billed as the world’s richest turf race, The Everest, but his racing partner John Messara owns Shoals.

More significantly, the fact that Redzel won and Trapeze Artist came second in Saturday's $13 million race could lead to a major windfall for Jones and his racing partners Mr Leaver and Mr Messara.

But later that same year, Mr Messara’s efforts in organising airline upgrades to thank Macdonald for lifting the broodmare travel ban, which saved Mr Messara and other Hunter Valley breeders millions in dollars, effectively ended the controversial minister’s career.

In 2010, the Herald revealed Macdonald had secretly accepted Emirates Airlines upgrades worth $30,000. Mr Messara later admitted he had introduced Macdonald to another major Hunter Valley breeder, Dubai's Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid al-Maktoum who also owns Emirates.

Caught lying about the upgrades, Macdonald was sacked from the cabinet and he left State Parliament soon after.

Over the years, Jones has owned over a hundred racehorses. His fellow owners have included swimmer Grant Hackett and an array of cricketing figures including Shane Watson and Brett Lee. He currently races a filly Never Out - which has won $110,000 - with cricketers Aaron Finch, Glenn Maxwell, Andrea Lehmann (wife of former national coach Darren), and brothers Shaun and Mitch Marsh.

Relaunch, a horse he raced with real estate supremo John McGrath, never made it further than barrier trials. While Manifest, Trusted and Who’s Inside, which he co-owned with James Packer, enjoyed moderate successes.

But his biggest successes, including with Miss Finland, have come via his long-running racing partnership which consists of Jones, through his company Belford Productions, Mr Messara, through Arrowfield Pastoral, and John Leaver, through Planette Thoroughbred Trading.

The criminal charges for money laundering and tax evasion levelled against Mr Leaver and Vanda Gould, the co-owner of the pair’s racing syndicate Planette Thoroughbred, were later dropped. However, a later court civil case found that $7.8 million was transferred to Mr Gould and Mr Leaver’s racing company via a series of companies in overseas tax havens.

In late 2015, Mr Leaver quietly agreed to pay $25.87 million in taxes and penalties to the ATO.

Mr Gould was also hit with multimillion-dollar tax penalties and a trial date is yet to be set for perjury charges related to evidence he gave during his fight with the ATO.

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
It’s next level up there. It’s not so much racing itself. It’s the government and media.
Yep, Alan jones is right in the middle of it all. What can be done though, when u have power, money and mates in government. Shouting out loud on social media and protests do f all.

RupieDupie

Guru
Jun 30, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Issue is dead and buried.

So what does SKY do ?......

Yerp you knew it was coming.....

They're so obvious

"The Opera House is world heritage listed. This means that under the Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Act, any action that has a significant impact on its outstanding universal value is an offence punishable by up to seven years in prison unless the action is referred to and approved to the relevant minister by the Department of Energy and Environment.

But in an estimates hearing before the Senate Environment and Communications Legislation Committee on Monday night, the department said the controversial projection was never even considered for approval."

Sep 16, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
"The Opera House is world heritage listed. This means that under the Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Act, any action that has a significant impact on its outstanding universal value is an offence punishable by up to seven years in prison unless the action is referred to and approved to the relevant minister by the Department of Energy and Environment.

But in an estimates hearing before the Senate Environment and Communications Legislation Committee on Monday night, the department said the controversial projection was never even considered for approval."

Oh FFS seriously? How exactly does this have a significant impact on its outstanding universal value (which is any different from the other promotions that the building has been used for)?

This is bleating for the sake of bleating, no visitor is going to come to Sydney now, look a the Opera House and determined that its forever irrevocably f**ed because there was a display on it.

RupieDupie

Guru
Jun 30, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Oh FFS seriously? How exactly does this have a significant impact on its outstanding universal value (which is any different from the other promotions that the building has been used for)?

This is bleating for the sake of bleating, no visitor is going to come to Sydney now, look a the Opera House and determined that its forever irrevocably f**ed because there was a display on it.

The Ashes is a symbol of greatness, glory, and courage
The Wallabies are a symbol of pride, power, and a two dimensional sport

The last perverted and vulgar light show was a symbol of oppression, bullying, evil, and gambling, now forever associated with a building that was once an iconic symbol of Sydney and Australia.

Sep 16, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Ashes is a symbol of greatness, glory, and courage
The Wallabies are a symbol of pride, power, and a two dimensional sport

The last perverted and vulgar light show was a symbol of oppression, bullying, evil, and gambling, now forever associated with a building that was once an iconic symbol of Sydney and Australia.

That connotation may be attached to it by a vocal minority but I can almost guarantee that if you asked a tourists opinion (which would be the vast majority of visitors to it) they would have SFA idea that the display occurred, let alone that it has somehow defiled the building.

Overreaction doesn't even begin to describe trying to claim " significant impact on its outstanding universal value"

RupieDupie

Guru
Jun 30, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
That connotation may be attached to it by a vocal minority but I can almost guarantee that if you asked a tourists opinion (which would be the vast majority of visitors to it) they would have SFA idea that the display occurred, let alone that it has somehow defiled the building.

Overreaction doesn't even begin to describe trying to claim " significant impact on its outstanding universal value"

Everything is perspective, this is just another symptom of a common aetiology corrupting Australia. But anywho, I thought this vulgar and deplorable light show was supposed to be flashed all over every international TV screen attracting International investors to the Sydney economy?

Back