Gambling addiction

Remove this Banner Ad

Good on you mate.

I think due to the fact you can bet so easily now with all the corporates, online pokies, having to drive past the tabs you frequented and the mass advertisement on every single sporting even - you need to recognise it isn't going to be easy.

I've had an ongoing battle with addiction, which continues, and while it's not gambling, I'd experience the same kind of things where I always put it/myself first and it had/has very negative effects on my life.

I've got an unbelievably addictive personality. I found myself (not proudly) diving into online pokies for a few months not long ago, it coincided with some mental health issues I was battling and felt like it was the only thing to that was helping, when really it was the opposite.

I absolutely adore the horses, especially at this time of the year, I love the sport, I love form analysis, I love the animals and of course, love the prospect of winning money. I actually was paid to contribute to one of the major websites a few years ago and i loved it, but I had to stop. I was betting too much.

At times over the past 6 or 7 years (I'm 23) I have found myself feeling like it was somewhat taking over, and I was betting outside of my means (I still do this at times) but I do have a bit more of a handle on this now.

I wish you all the best and please please make sure you build yourself a strong support network.

I'm 23, I'm single and its only my money, you mentioned you have a wife and kids and it'd be fantastic if you can earn their trust back.

Fwiw, I'd subscribe to this thread, and avoid looking at any of the other threads.

I despised 1 on 1 therapy, absolutely hated it, always have whether it was relating to my addiction or with my mental health, - but it works for so many. Check it out. The only reason i was able to avoid counselling was due to my amazing family and other close friends.

Happy to discuss further if you'd like via PM.

Also, Google is your friend. Read up on others experiences, it is nice to know that others are goingb through the same things as you.

Next few weeks will be tough.

Things to avoid;

1. Don't reward yourself with a punt jf you reach a milestone.
2. Lapses/Relapses are OK if you learn from it.
3. Lying. Be honest with your Mrs. If you're having a s**t day, tell her. (obviously never met your wife but people who care about you will help you out.

Was tinder your addiction?

Had a good chat with the missus about my gambling.
I need to set myself a weekly limit and stick to it.
Say i get paid $300 i'd give $200-250 in cash to her to hold onto so there i no risk of me chasingif i lose.
Bet with the $50-100 i allow myself if i win and make a profit for the week, great.
If i lose tough luck and there will be no betting until the following week if i can afford it that week.

EDIT - Also putting a small amount say ($30-50) might be good
i've noticed on average if i bet on every race of a particular meet
i'm only getting 2-3 wins and the rest losses.
Therefore with a big outlay i'm only going around in circles.
Like today i got Solas & Neat & Tidy as winners but the rest lost.
If i had $25 on those two and that's it i'd be well in front for the day.

Had a good chat with the missus about my gambling.
I need to set myself a weekly limit and stick to it.
Say i get paid $300 i'd give $200-250 in cash to her to hold onto so there i no risk of me chasingif i lose.
Bet with the $50-100 i allow myself if i win and make a profit for the week, great.
If i lose tough luck and there will be no betting until the following week if i can afford it that week.

EDIT - Also putting a small amount say ($30-50) might be good
i've noticed on average if i bet on every race of a particular meet
i'm only getting 2-3 wins and the rest losses.
Therefore with a big outlay i'm only going around in circles.
Like today i got Solas & Neat & Tidy as winners but the rest lost.
If i had $25 on those two and that's it i'd be well in front for the day.

Great idea, just put the bets on the ones that'll win and skip the losers!

It's true the whole the longer you play the more likely you are to lose.
Less bets = more chance of profit at the end of the day.

Only if you're a losing punter. If you're a winning punter the more bets you place the more you make, not just because of the obvious but it takes most of the variance out of the equation

Probably not the right thread for this conversation though

Only if you're a losing punter. If you're a winning punter the more bets you place the more you make, not just because of the obvious but it takes most of the variance out of the equation

I'd suspect if most people here placed a single bet on every race at Flemington tomorrow they would come off second best at the end of the day.
Aren't successful punters more selective with their bets and know which races to avoid.
That's what i'm aiming to become like because betting on to many races is why i've been a losing punter.

i think it's the best thread for it.

addiction or not, so many people that bet on sports or whatever have no idea about their expected losses etc.

and even worse some, like the guy above, have some belief which is total nonsense and can get them in even more trouble.

all these anti-gambling ads are centered around DONT DO IT OMG THINK OF THE CHILDREN, if they really want to use scare tactics they should just show how difficult it is to actually win long-term.

i think it's the best thread for it.

addiction or not, so many people that bet on sports or whatever have no idea about their expected losses etc.

and even worse some, like the guy above, have some belief which is total nonsense and can get them in even more trouble.

all these anti-gambling ads are centered around DONT DO IT OMG THINK OF THE CHILDREN, if they really want to use scare tactics they should just show how difficult it is to actually win long-term.

What belief do i have mate?
It's seems many people here claims they are winning punters long term and get on their high horse and ridicule people
but i've not seen any proof.
Talk is cheap.

Aren't successful punters more selective with their bets and know which races to avoid.
altering your volume doesn't change your edge if you can't quantify your edge in the first place.

if you flip coins to bet on handicaps you have a 50% (give or take) expectation. therefore you expect to lose at the % equal to the vig of the market you're betting. it makes 0 difference if you make 100 bets or 1, the expectation is identical.

but i've not seen any proof.
you want to see someones account balance before taking advice?

i'm not trying to be condescending even if it seems like it by the way i write. i doesn't really bother if you think i win, or if you take my advice or not.

altering your volume doesn't change your edge if you can't quantify your edge in the first place.

if you flip coins to bet on handicaps you have a 50% (give or take) expectation. therefore you expect to lose some % equal to the vig of the market you're betting. it makes 0 difference if you make 100 bets or 1, the expectation is identical.

All i was saying by looking at my history of bets (real or paper bets) i can normally only land a handful of winners on a day.
I'm just saying if i could single out the ones i'm more confident about then call it a day i could make a profit instead of going around in circles.

you want to see someones account balance before taking advice?

i'm not trying to be condescending even if it seems like it by the way i write. i doesn't really bother if you think i win, or if you take my advice or not.

No but many people make smartarse comments and then the motley crew of supposedly winning punters on here like eachothers posts and highfive eachother.

Notice how these peolpe don't post their bets? So they won't get ridiculed.

i've placed about 150 bets in november so far, where would you like me to spam them?

pls no ridicule

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what incentive do i have to spend time posting bets in a thread that no-one reads/cares about?

none of the bets have been settled

All i was saying by looking at my history of bets (real or paper bets) i can normally only land a handful of winners on a day.
I'm just saying if i could single out the ones i'm more confident about then call it a day i could make a profit instead of going around in circles.

Yeah but it's ridiculous to point out two horses that won and said 'I should have just backed them' The fact is you backed two winners because you had 9 bets or more. If you had only two bets you would most likely only had one or no winners. It's too late to be confident after the race. So if you're that keen on breaking things down. Post all your selections and have your two best with an asterix next to them and see where you are in a month.

Bet tracker thread?

How much are you in front this month?

There are people like Duritz, Main Man, Paris and I assume Nooblet that put far too much time into their selections to be posting all their plays on a public board. These are the people you should be listening to, whatever knowledge it is they decide to pass on and not take it so personally.

Yeah but it's ridiculous to point out two horses that won and said 'I should have just backed them' The fact is you backed two winners because you had 9 bets or more. If you had only two bets you would most likely only had one or no winners. It's too late to be confident after the race. So if you're that keen on breaking things down. Post all your selections and have your two best with an asterix next to them and see where you are in a month.

There are people like Duritz, Main Man, Paris and I assume Nooblet that put far too much time into their selections to be posting all their plays on a public board. These are the people you should be listening to, whatever knowledge it is they decide to pass on and not take it so personally.

Yeah true, some other ones i was confident about like Ready To Fight flopped badly...
And in truth i only went with my Neat & Tidy as my original selection Birds of Tokyo was scratched.

Willing to listen to any advice and i do take it on board.
In my situation though, the mrs isn't happy with me betting to much and wants me to be open about it not keep it from her, etc.
So i'm trying to change the way i've been doing it.

Yeah true, some other ones i was confident about like Ready To Fight flopped badly...
And in truth i only went with my Neat & Tidy as my original selection Birds of Tokyo was scratched.

In my situation though, the mrs isn't happy with me betting to much and wants me to be open about it not keep it from her, etc.

First piece of advice, stop filling up the tank every week. Have a bankroll for all your betting and once its gone thats it. If you keep reloading every week after you lose your bank you will never be disciplined

First piece of advice, stop filling up the tank every week. Have a bankroll for all your betting and once its gone thats it. If you keep reloading every week after you lose your bank you will never be disciplined

That would be great, it's probably why i struggle so much as i've never had a proper bank.
I remember you tried to help me to build a bank once before but it never really eventuated due to my lack of discipline :(
Maybe i could hold off until i have enough $$ for a decent bank.

Maybe i should stop talking about this here, don't want to the OP to get tempted or anything.

Well telling her anything was a mistake, you'll be watched like a naughty child now. If you like a punt, have a punt for Gods sake ...stop putting so many rules and pressuring yourself to get every race right and just enjoy it. You are going to lose money, just face that fact now. I like a pint and a punt and I have for 20 years and that will never change. You shouldn't feel guilty for spending money you've worked for. You don't need a bank, you don't need units, just enjoy yourself and spend whatever you see fit.

Oh no Lensen liked my post to be passive aggressive for not mentioning him with the other guys:$
6vIMnYY.png

if you have no self discipline then work on getting that sorted before you even think of punting to money long term (i.e. viewing it as more than just an entertainment expense). and discipline isn't only not chasing losses, it's also not getting to the end of a good day and putting bigger bets on things you wouldn't ordinarily bet on as "ah only playing with the house's money"

the % of people that genuinely make money on the punt is very small, the % of those that win that can do so without impulse control is much much smaller

Remove this Banner Ad

Back