Gambling and players

Apr 27, 2002
2004 Premiers
Edmonton Oilers, Newcastle
Is there any restriction / rule on players and gambling? Is it only footy they are not allowed to gamble on? A mate of mine was telling me about having been doing a certain activity with a few of the boys.

I know a few players who punt on horses/dogs do I'm guessing it's ok. A few port players owned a greyhound together the other year.

Pretty sure it's only footy that's a problem. When Matty got suspended for two weeks, turned out he had put some sort of multi-bet on and it was only the inclusion of one AFL game that was problem. Other codes, horses, dogs etc. are all OK.

A lot of afl players have investments in Dogs and Horses (Campbell Brown has a few big ones). Trengove is a mad punter. and owns a dog or 2, along with some of the other players. My missus works at the dog track and sees him there a bit for dinner and to watch his race.
Not too mention players invest in hotels, which have pokies.

Is there any restriction / rule on players and gambling? Is it only footy they are not allowed to gamble on? A mate of mine was telling me about having been doing a certain activity with a few of the boys.

Well if it wasn't okay then posting up on bigfooty would be the best thing to do! :p

^^ I think a VFL team did that in the mid 1980's.

Pretty sure Imran Khan made the Paki players back themselves in a game, think it was a ODI in the 1992 world cup tournament hosted in Oz and NZ.