• 20. Michael NESER
  • 77. Matthew RENSHAW
  • 14. Gurinder SANDHU
  • 16. Mark STEKETEE
  • 25. Bryce STREET
  • 4. Mitchell SWEPSON
  • 52. Sam TRULOFF

In: Neser, Renshaw, Steketee
Out: Max BRYANT (omitted), Sam HEAZLETT (omitted)

WA XIII

• 9. Sam WHITEMAN (c)
  • 18. Ashton AGAR
  • 4. Cameron BANCROFT
  • 35. Hilton CARTWRIGHT
  • 28. Sam FANNING
  • 21. Aaron HARDIE
  • 95. Josh INGLIS (+)
  • 12. Matthew KELLY
  • 1. Lance MORRIS
  • 3. Joel PARIS
  • 22. Josh PHILIPPE
  • 13. Charlie STOBO
  • 48. Teague WYLLIE

In: Agar, Hardie, Inglis, Morris, Paris
Out: David MOODY (omitted), Corey ROCCHICCIOLI (omitted), D'Arcy SHORT (omitted)

Play underway at an overcast Gabba with WA sending Bulls in. Still no Jhye Richardson.

WA bowling some pretty tidy lines, but great to see Renshaw digging in and showing some patience.....something Warner didn't show v Seales and Roach. Matt Kelly is having a great season, as well as Paris and Morris too, hopefully these guys get a look in for the Ashes tour.

Bryce Street making the most of his return so far.
0/89 off 22 for Agar as well, dropping Rocco for him not boding well

Tough call for Roc, but it is a bit hard to leave Agar out, especially with the Indian tour coming up. We could go full WA psychopath and call for Roc and Morris into the Test side I guess? Agar might want to lift his game though.

Happy to see Wyllie in the middle order while so young, we really need Marsh back to help nurture him.

Don’t want to go full BF and say spuds, duds, pies and roads etc, but I think leaving Philippe out is a fair call. Bloke is obviously very talented, but a message needed to be sent.

Poor selection by WA TBH by dropping Rocco for Agar......sends out a poor message indeed.
What poor message? Agar has just returned from international duties, and from basically an Australian Second XI side for a pink ball tour game.

The message is we have a strong side.
The message is you can only pick eleven players. Roc will understand that, all the players will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

good to see lance pick up a couple of poles
And Paris 3/26 from 21, we should get them both in the Australian side, as well as bringing Green on at every opportunity.

Very sporting declaration from Queensland, I’m confident we will get these runs. Take the first innings points away, and we can come home very pleased.

And Paris 3/26 from 21, we should get them both in the Australian side, as well as bringing Green on at every opportunity.

Very sporting declaration from Queensland, I’m confident we will get these runs. Take the first innings points away, and we can come home very pleased.
Paris having another good season very good cricketer

Harsh call but the right one.
Selection in a great side is tough, I’m supportive.
Fanning to 3, Wyllie down, Philippe out is great selection slash planning.
Everyone is going to have different opinions, as happens in selection meetings. Selection meetings are actually almost torture from my experience, worst part of cricket I have ever experienced for multiple reasons.

S.Marsh back I’m sure the selectors are already debating, with conflicting views, with current selections also possibly decided over these views and debates.

I love to hear discussion regarding selections, but that also means intelligent cricket discussion as to why the selectors went a certain way, not all just wrong,wrong, wrong.

Selection in a great side is tough, I’m supportive.
Fanning to 3, Wyllie down, Philippe out is great selection slash planning.
Everyone is going to have different opinions, as happens in selection meetings. Selection meetings are actually almost torture from my experience, worst part of cricket I have ever experienced for multiple reasons.

S.Marsh back I’m sure the selectors are already debating, with conflicting views, with current selections also possibly decided over these views and debates.

I love to hear discussion regarding selections, but that also means intelligent cricket discussion as to why the selectors went a certain way, not all just wrong,wrong, wrong.
Looking at Agar's career stats, you really have to wonder if he has a future with the red ball.

I think his best format is T20, followed by the 50 over game.

He's more of a holding bowler rather than a wicket taker, which is why he does so well in T20's.

Will be interesting to see how many games he's given.

Looking at Agar's career stats, you really have to wonder if he has a future with the red ball.

I think his best format is T20, followed by the 50 over game.

He's more of a holding bowler rather than a wicket taker, which is why he does so well in T20's.

Will be interesting to see how many games he's given.
Yep..really good discussion without the usual Doritos stuff around here.
I’ve thought Roc out, Agar in weekend our side, but the selection is correct for now.
What to do with Hardie if Stoinis and MM decide to play Shield?
I’m also anti Short in some aspects, but he was very unlucky to miss this squad.
This is a very strong side, get Richardson back and Kelly probably has to go.

Any trash talk of our selectors at this poiont is poor beyond belief.
ROC will be back in time.

Yep..really good discussion without the usual Doritos stuff around here.
I’ve thought Roc out, Agar in weekend our side, but the selection is correct for now.
What to do with Hardie if Stoinis and MM decide to play Shield?
I’m also anti Short in some aspects, but he was very unlucky to miss this squad.
This is a very strong side, get Richardson back and Kelly probably has to go.

Any trash talk of our selectors at this poiont is poor beyond belief.
ROC will be back in time.
Hard to see MM coming back as he's been ruled out of playing for a least 3 months with his ankle. I know the Shield goes into March, but 3 months is a long time out.

I've no idea what's going on with Stoinis.
Haven't heard a peep about him.

I think Hardies big hundred in last year's Shield final almost guarantees him a game at this point.

Yep, hard to bag the selectors when we're on top of the table in both formats.

It's why guys like Paris are playing for the Hurricanes, to get some playing time.

Yeah fair enough then, happy to rescind on my "sends a poor message" comment....but just feel Agar has had plenty of opportunities to prove his worth in the red ball format with a 40 + something bowling return....horses for courses as they say or in this case formats........but agree, never easy trying to squeeze 15 into 11, obviously a great situation for WA cricket to be in.

However, unless WA needs to play 2 spinners and with the Shield back up n running with the India tour in mind, if Aust are serious about winning there, then if Agar is in Aust top 3 for that tour, then I can't see Rocc getting into that WA 11 anytime soon, unless Agar gets injured or the Aust selectors feel Agar bowling in white ball formats for Aust over shield games for WA is the way to go in terms of test selection.

Last edited:
Good to see Streety back and in the runs, surely has to be above Truloff in the pecking order from now even if it means he bats down the order. Not fussed about players batting out of position at this level, just pick the best. I'd imagine Marnus, Usman and probably Renshaw won't be available for most of the 2nd half of the shield due to the India tour anyway so we should see Street, Clayton, Truloff and Bryant get a decent amount of matches under their belt then in any case.

Back