Game Day Game 2 Marsh Series v Swans Kingston Ovals Tasmania

King Corey

Jun 9, 2001
Windy Hill Safe Injecting Room
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
- Larkey is producing better football than Drew Petrie at the current respective stages of their careers. Will be a top shelf AFL KPF when he puts on another 5kgs+.
Ooh Tef that's a tough one.

Drew had played some very good footy for his age until that point and was already being thrown around between ruck and forward with a tiny bit of defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

King Corey

Jun 9, 2001
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Hey giantroo can we expect to see a goals video from yesterday's game? If so, is there a specific thread where you upload all your videos, since the AFL took your channel down.
You mean the club site doesn't have them up yet along with several post match interviews?

Twinkletoes

Jan 28, 2004
Tender Touch
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
MVFC, Storm, Everton, Socceroos
The return to form of Hall and Maj, further improvement from Taylor, Nick Blakey struggling for a kick and the reminder of how it feels to win a game were all positives in an otherwise meaningless practice hitout. Loved seeing Larkey stand up, without Brown as the feature act, and seeing Xerri stand up as a big man should (physically).

Glad the doom and gloom of the Doggies post match has somewhat balanced out, at the very least.

King Corey

Jun 9, 2001
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
The return to form of Hall and Maj, further improvement from Taylor, Nick Blakey struggling for a kick and the reminder of how it feels to win a game were all positives in an otherwise meaningless practice hitout.
Is that right? Unfortunately the commentary didn't mention him, Naismith or frame almost every observation or encouragement from a Sydney perspective.

King Corey

Jun 9, 2001
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
At one point the algorithm bugged and they mentioned that his Dad had played 350 games for us and won two flags.
That was just to hit the 'balanced coverage' quota.

Mentioning a Sydney player's father who is also a Sydney coach once playing for North Melbourne ticks off their fair coverage duties in the same way a season of House Husbands gets a network out of any tricky local content obligations.

Snake_Baker

L'enfant terrible
Apr 24, 2013
inside your head
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Unicornia Reactants
Ooh Tef that's a tough one.

Drew had played some very good footy for his age until that point and was already being thrown around between ruck and forward with a tiny bit of defence.

Drew played 9 games in his debut season, mostly rolling off the bench, and didn't kick a goal. In his second year he did get some time up forward and notched up a total two season tally of 19 games, which is equal with Larkey's current tally.

The numbers tell it all mate.

Petrie @ 19 games: 81 kicks, 30 marks, 31 handballs, 62 hit outs, 10 goals, 7 behinds
Larkey @ 19 games: 88 kicks, 64 marks, 75 handballs, 55 hit outs, 26 goals, 8 behinds

In defence of Drew, he was about 8 months younger when he debuted, but I would still take Nick at this point.

Snake_Baker

L'enfant terrible
Apr 24, 2013
inside your head
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Unicornia Reactants
View attachment 836851

Only kicked one goal and one point. Had zero impact
I reckon that goal was when MacMillan was off the ground.

This return places Jamie comfortably in the best players, but you wouldn't think that reading some of the trip in the GDT.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kanga Glory

Premium Platinum
Nov 1, 2010
arden st
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Drew played 9 games in his debut season, mostly rolling off the bench, and didn't kick a goal. In his second year he did get some time up forward and notched up a total two season tally of 19 games, which is equal with Larkey's current tally.

The numbers tell it all mate.

Petrie @ 19 games: 81 kicks, 30 marks, 31 handballs, 62 hit outs, 10 goals, 7 behinds
Larkey @ 19 games: 88 kicks, 64 marks, 75 handballs, 55 hit outs, 26 goals, 8 behinds

In defence of Drew, he was about 8 months younger when he debuted, but I would still take Nick at this point.

I actually remember one of Drew’s early games against Adelaide at marvel stadium and he was in the ruck and was getting smashed by the Adelaide rucks.
I actually felt sorry for him as he was getting knees to every part of his body

Rad Roo

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Cunnington is our best player ...
But not necessarily the most effective. He seems to be a player of a bygone era. It would take something truly genius from shaw to keep cunninton in his role and still thrive and dominate. We would do worse than to look at sam mitchell but does cunnington have similar levels of elite disposal skills and awareness? Him as a small marking forward would be my move to maximize his usage. He should however be in the middle during slow, wet, grinding type matches.

Rad Roo

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I thought he ran out the game pretty well considering he played a lot of minutes. He got to a lot of contests in the second half to spoil and took a few good intercept marks. I actually thought he got better as the game went on.
We didn’t have a lot of quality tall forwards to contend with, but I thought Daw had a lot of their entries covered and they didn’t look like doing much in the air.
Personally I think he is a certainty for round 1.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Sometimes, a crisis wouldn't be a bad thing for us. For instance if for some coincidence, both ziebell and cunnington went down with long term injuries, we will probably thrive on it. For one, we don't have to worry about accommodating the two in the middle as they are either not good enough or no longer suited to the modern game.

LuvtheKangas

Premium Platinum
Mar 11, 2006
Rising up the ladder
AFL Club
North Melbourne
But not necessarily the most effective. He seems to be a player of a bygone era. It would take something truly genius from shaw to keep cunninton in his role and still thrive and dominate. We would do worse than to look at sam mitchell but does cunnington have similar levels of elite disposal skills and awareness? Him as a small marking forward would be my move to maximize his usage. He should however be in the middle during slow, wet, grinding type matches.
Confusing.

e.g. Sam Mitchell was never a small marking forward. Cunnington plays the same position and style as Mitchell, so why do we need to look at Mitchell?

Also Cunnington's disposal by hand is better than Mitchell's was, but Mitchell was better by foot because he was genuinely two-sided.

LuvtheKangas

Premium Platinum
Mar 11, 2006
Rising up the ladder
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sometimes, a crisis wouldn't be a bad thing for us. For instance if for some coincidence, both ziebell and cunnington went down with long term injuries, we will probably thrive on it. For one, we don't have to worry about accommodating the two in the middle as they are either not good enough or no longer suited to the modern game.
Yeah, nah. We could cover Jack better, but 17 other teams would kill to have Cunnington and we are significantly weaker when he's out of the team.

Rad Roo

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Confusing.

e.g. Sam Mitchell was never a small marking forward. Cunnington plays the same position and style as Mitchell, so why do we need to look at Mitchell?

Also Cunnington's disposal by hand is better than Mitchell's was, but Mitchell was better by foot because he was genuinely two-sided.
Does he have the same awareness level? If his kicking skill is poor, that's a decisive cross against him. So to cover for the lack of kicking skills, Cunnington need to have a B game in that he plays as a small marking forward one out.

LuvtheKangas

Premium Platinum
Mar 11, 2006
Rising up the ladder
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does he have the same awareness level? If his kicking skill is poor, that's a decisive cross against him. So to cover for the lack of kicking skills, Cunnington need to have a B game in that he plays as a small marking forward one out.
So, what part of this validates the statement "We would do worse than to look at sam mitchell"?

Short answer - none of it. It's random rambling with no logical point being made.

Whilst it's beside the point, I'll also note that they both have elite disposal skills, Cunnington in handball and Mitchell in kicking. In addition, Cunnington is an above average kick, just like Mitchell was an above average handballer. It's just garbage to suggest we need to "cover for the lack of kicking skills". A complete fallacy.

King Corey

Jun 9, 2001
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I actually remember one of Drew’s early games against Adelaide at marvel stadium and he was in the ruck and was getting smashed by the Adelaide rucks.
I actually felt sorry for him as he was getting knees to every part of his body
You sure you're not thinking of Hale?

Dean wisely debuted him against Biglands and Clarke rather than use the puny inexperienced McKernan.

Top Bottom