Game Day Game 2 Marsh Series v Swans Kingston Ovals Tasmania

But not necessarily the most effective. He seems to be a player of a bygone era. It would take something truly genius from shaw to keep cunninton in his role and still thrive and dominate. We would do worse than to look at sam mitchell but does cunnington have similar levels of elite disposal skills and awareness? Him as a small marking forward would be my move to maximize his usage. He should however be in the middle during slow, wet, grinding type matches.

Confusing.

e.g. Sam Mitchell was never a small marking forward. Cunnington plays the same position and style as Mitchell, so why do we need to look at Mitchell?

Also Cunnington's disposal by hand is better than Mitchell's was, but Mitchell was better by foot because he was genuinely two-sided.

Sometimes, a crisis wouldn't be a bad thing for us. For instance if for some coincidence, both ziebell and cunnington went down with long term injuries, we will probably thrive on it. For one, we don't have to worry about accommodating the two in the middle as they are either not good enough or no longer suited to the modern game.

Yeah, nah. We could cover Jack better, but 17 other teams would kill to have Cunnington and we are significantly weaker when he's out of the team.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Confusing.

e.g. Sam Mitchell was never a small marking forward. Cunnington plays the same position and style as Mitchell, so why do we need to look at Mitchell?

Also Cunnington's disposal by hand is better than Mitchell's was, but Mitchell was better by foot because he was genuinely two-sided.

Does he have the same awareness level? If his kicking skill is poor, that's a decisive cross against him. So to cover for the lack of kicking skills, Cunnington need to have a B game in that he plays as a small marking forward one out.

Does he have the same awareness level? If his kicking skill is poor, that's a decisive cross against him. So to cover for the lack of kicking skills, Cunnington need to have a B game in that he plays as a small marking forward one out.

So, what part of this validates the statement "We would do worse than to look at sam mitchell"?

Short answer - none of it. It's random rambling with no logical point being made.

Whilst it's beside the point, I'll also note that they both have elite disposal skills, Cunnington in handball and Mitchell in kicking. In addition, Cunnington is an above average kick, just like Mitchell was an above average handballer. It's just garbage to suggest we need to "cover for the lack of kicking skills". A complete fallacy.

goalieboy82

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
USA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Fairfax Kangaroos
from the other night (before i watch the game)
IMG_20200308_222636503.jpg

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I actually remember one of Drew’s early games against Adelaide at marvel stadium and he was in the ruck and was getting smashed by the Adelaide rucks.
I actually felt sorry for him as he was getting knees to every part of his body

You sure you're not thinking of Hale?

Dean wisely debuted him against Biglands and Clarke rather than use the puny inexperienced McKernan.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Got caught a couple of times, but you can see he has the makings of a quality AFL player. Just needs more matches under his belt.
How many hand-wringers have posted their stories of doom, lamenting north not having a decent tagger with no BJ yet seem to struggle with the concept that Bonar might just be the piece that completes the puzzle.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
How many hand-wringers have posted their stories of doom, lamenting north not having a decent tagger with no BJ yet seem to struggle with the concept that Bonar might just be the piece that completes the puzzle.

Certain folks are addicted to pessimism mate.

Krakoueraddict

Team Captain
May 8, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
+'s
Curtis Taylor lock him in for R1. He found the footy, hit the scoreboard, was taking marks and hitting the drop of the ball, worked back up the field hard and was just generally clean and quick in his decision making and execution.

Majak worked his way into the game and by the end of it seemed impassable. Also lol'ed when he outmarked Papley 1v1.

J Walker was solid and not afraid to go for a mark, he needs to pick his battles a bit better but love having someone with that confidence in our back 6.

TT is just so pure, makes decisions and executes skills that not many can. That handball to Jed through serious traffic was next level. If he can get his average possession count into the high teens then look out.

Jed was a bit fumbly early but not nearly as bad as some were implying. Worked hard and if he's averaging 20 possies on top of his enforcing work then he's going to hurt opposition teams in many facets.

-'s
Workrate in all Q2 was bad, we were so flat footed and let the Swans take the corridor on way to many occasions.

Umpiring was more than frustrating, it was just whistle whistle whistle for nothing frees, then crickets for something blatantly obvious. Bad decisions to both teams, umpires need to get out of the game.

Still have a ways to go to clean up our skills, we were much better than previous two games but still lots of handballs hitting players leaving them flat footed and a few botched i50's stood out. If we can clean up that side of our game whilst bringing the heat we can be just as good as our back end of last year indicated.

We're super thin down back and even when Marley gets back there's nothing in the cupboard. Fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed that EVW comes back strong in the second half of the year.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
+'s
Curtis Taylor lock him in for R1. He found the footy, hit the scoreboard, was taking marks and hitting the drop of the ball, worked back up the field hard and was just generally clean and quick in his decision making and execution.
Not disagreeing with you, but 'clean and quick' doesn't quite seem to capture it. His kicks that found a teammate were 'next level.' So much so I was wondering if they weren't 'arse' not 'class'. But they weren't one-offs. Fingers crossed, but I think we've got a good 'un here, he said using a euphemism to keep the lid on.

+'s

Majak worked his way into the game and by the end of it seemed impassable. Also lol'ed when he outmarked Papley 1v1.

J Walker was solid and not afraid to go for a mark, he needs to pick his battles a bit better but love having someone with that confidence in our back 6.

TT is just so pure, makes decisions and executes skills that not many can. That handball to Jed through serious traffic was next level. If he can get his average possession count into the high teens then look out.

Jed was a bit fumbly early but not nearly as bad as some were implying. Worked hard and if he's averaging 20 possies on top of his enforcing work then he's going to hurt opposition teams in many facets.

-'s
Workrate in all Q2 was bad, we were so flat footed and let the Swans take the corridor on way to many occasions.

Umpiring was more than frustrating, it was just whistle whistle whistle for nothing frees, then crickets for something blatantly obvious. Bad decisions to both teams, umpires need to get out of the game.

Still have a ways to go to clean up our skills, we were much better than previous two games but still lots of handballs hitting players leaving them flat footed and a few botched i50's stood out. If we can clean up that side of our game whilst bringing the heat we can be just as good as our back end of last year indicated.

We're super thin down back and even when Marley gets back there's nothing in the cupboard. Fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed that EVW comes back strong in the second half of the year.

Quintessential NM victory, really:-

Decent first quarter that gave us the lead.
Traditional crap 2nd quarter, but are close enough at halftime.
Barnstorming 3rd quarter.
Hold strong in last.

Same old issues with second quarter fade out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was only a period in the second. I thought we fought back and got a bit more control toward the end of the quarter.

But there was also a period in the first, after about 20 minutes that we went of the boil and the Swans worked back into the game.

Not disagreeing with you, but 'clean and quick' doesn't quite seem to capture it. His kicks that found a teammate were 'next level.' So much so I was wondering if they weren't 'arse' not 'class'. But they weren't one-offs. Fingers crossed, but I think we've got a good 'un here, he said using a euphemism to keep the lid on.

I agree with this too. Every bit of it, including keeping the lid on.

If that ends up being his standard forward game - 2 goals, plenty of assists or work in scoring chains and 20 possessions then he will be a star.

Cam who?

Couldn't believe that front on "spoil" attempt against Larkey went unpunished, when someone kneed him front on. FFS, no commentator even mentioned a free kick, but surely this was a blatant free kick for front on spoil, rough conduct and not looking at the ball.

Last edited:

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
I agree with this too. Every bit of it, including keeping the lid on.

If that ends up being his standard forward game - 2 goals, plenty of assists or work in scoring chains and 20 possessions then he will be a star good 'un!
Clearly you don't agree with the "keeping the lid on" part, otherwise you wouldn't have used the very word I was trying to avoid. ;)

Back