Review Game 3 JLT. Nmfc v Gws- REVIEW

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the game.

F*** it I'm going with the positives.

Up until half time our JLT games had us beating Sydney, Hawthorn and leading the Giants. We really should have been 3 goals up. They did put the foot down after half time but we were keeping up with them in general play, just didn't possess the class to keep up on the scoreboard.

Plenty to like. Dumont again was great. Simpkin showed plenty. Turner really surprised me and is surely a certain starter for round 1. Higgins first half was the best half of footy I've seen him play. He was unbelievable. Speaking of unbelievable, f'ing Greene. That kid can seriously play. If your playing on him you need to lock downand not even think about trying to get the footy.

Goldy played like second half of 2016 Goldy. That sucked. Preuss did some really good things in the first half then looked like he was going to fall over from tiredness after that. Managing him in games is going to be a challenge.

Daw was an interesting one. He was better than Goldy and Preuss. But overall that wasn't hard. He didn't take the marks he should have and misread it a fair bit. But I think we just have to play him more.

Overall it was the best JLT campaign we have had in years. We are well prepared. And we are going to need it with an incredibly tough opening four games.

Daw was an interesting one. He was better than Goldy and Preuss. But overall that wasn't hard. He didn't take the marks he should have and misread it a fair bit. But I think we just have to play him more.

Daw needs to get a lot better definitely. Still think he'd be better off as a ruck / onballer with only stints forward... There must be some rule where dragging his arm off the ball is specifically not a free kick though. Seems to cop a lot of them and get no reward.

Also Luke looked like he only played the first half?

He looks like a seriously good player now IMO. Tough, committed, smart. His disposal is now top notch too. In for a big year.

And the one thing that dermie was spot on, the number 11 suits him down to the ground.

Yep him and Higgins were rested for the 2nd half

I watched the game and again come to the conclusion the majority of our senior players are ordinary. Swallow was ineffectual despite playing on the ball all game. He is slow and his skills have gone backwards. Zeibel seems to be allowed to hack it forward from congestion rather than hitting an outside target. Gibson played the whole match and if he is getting a game for his endurance then we may as well give Steve moneghetti a ring. McMillan and McDonald try hard but have no impact on the game. Daw's muscles must be painted on. Hansen was better than I thought he would be, but, that wouldn't be difficult. I think many are easily pleased by these players.

I would get the next crop of players in from round 1. I think they have something about them. Pruess, McKay, Simkin all have mongrel and belief and should play round 1. Other players stand taller when you have physicality like theirs on the ground. I really hope Brad doesn't take the see mingle safe option of playing an age group with the right amount of experience. In most cases the game count of players is flattering.

Disappointed in Daw, misread almost everything and that will be frustrating on other players working hard to get the ball into the forward line. The game in the final should be the platform for him so i hope he pulls the finger out. Needs to base his game on Waite who bust his ass going for marks, spoils, tackles and chasing.

Daw didn't really look like he wanted to be there. The persistent problem of him running under the footy hasn't been fixed which is a concern. If we are effectively playing one short in the forward line because he's 10 metres under the flight every time our midfield kicks it to him, we're automatically behind the 8 ball.

Looking forward to the MRP taking a look at Greene punching Wright in the face 30m off the ball.
After all, is not the MRP there to catch off the ball incidents?
My mistake...sorry...it's there to rub out guys who go to contest the ball, keep their feet as instructed, and get their knee head butted by an opponent.
Cheap snipes are A-OK. 'insufficient force'

Re. Daw, to be fair, delivery to him was hardly to his advantage all night, when he was 1 on 1 a couple of times ball was just chipped in front of him, or way over his head, playing in front, a lot of the time he gets illegally grabbed or pushed out of the contest, (as does Ben Brown,) and commentators say great bodywork by the defender there, or Daw completely misread that o_O, we desperately need quality I50 deliverer's, (miss you Boomer).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We (still) are. I agree.

Saying that, on the whole I thought our disposal was improved from the previous JLT matches. Particularly in the First Half when we appeared to be the sharper and cleaner of the two sides. Although of course a couple of players were atrocious all night. (Looking at you, Captain Jack. I'm surprised - or not - that I haven't seen this mentioned much. Some inspirational moments, but generally speaking he absolutely massacred the ball.)

I have three golden rules when it comes to analysing disposal errors.....
- As they lack a defining context (eg. a 'level of duress' or 'sold into trouble' component), don't take DE% and Clanger stats as the final word on the matter
- Don't assume that an inside Mids' possessions are all gathered under duress, or likewise that an outside Mids' possessions are all collected in space
- Take the bias-heavy, real-time perceptions/reflections of BF posters with a massive grain of salt

But yes, knowing how some posters love to hone in on disposal errors (and then scapegoat a select few players while giving others a free pass), I thought I'd go back through the replay and carefully track all of our errors for the game.

Here's what I found.....

* Missed targets by foot under little to no pressure (no. in brackets is how many of those errors by foot resulted in a straight turnover/opposition mark or an easy, first-bounce possession for an opposition player):
3 - EVW(3), Waite(2), Clarke(2)
2- J Mac(2), Ziebell(1), Swallow(1), Hrovat(1), Gibbo(0), Dumont(0)

* Missed targets by hand under little to no pressure (no. in brackets is how many of those handball errors resulted in a straight turnover or an easy, first-bounce possession for an opposition player):
3 - EVW(2)
2 - Gibbo(1), Dumont(1)

* Players that committed turnovers/disposal errors (again, under little to no pressure) that directly resulted in a shot on goal or scoring opportunity for the opposition:
Ziebell, EVW, Dumont, Simpkin, Clarke, Gibbo (the latter ably assisted by Thompson dropping an easy chest mark)

* Players that sprayed very gettable shots on goal:
2 - Waite, Simpkin
1 - Daw, JMac, Turner, Goldstein, Atley, Dumont, Cunnington, Hrovat, Ziebell (and depending on how you view set shots from next to the point post - LT)

* Out on the fulls (under little to no pressure):
1 - Ziebell, Cunnington

* Worst 5 DE%'s (of players who had 10+ touches):
- EVW (41.7%)
- Ziebell (45.5%)
- Simpkin (50%)
- Goldstein (54.5%)
- Hibberd (60%)

* Worst Clanger offenders:
7 - Ziebell
5 - EVW, Waite
4 - Swallow
3 - Tarrant, Thomas, Higgins, Hrovat

Conclusion?
Gibbo's fault.
You're forgetting something there though, mate.

When Jack blindly hacks it forward when he has clear handball options and turns it over it's ok because ever other player in the league does it.

When Gibbo turns it over it's because he's a fraudulent potato.

There's a clear difference. :drunk:

Round 1 after tonight should be:

Thompson - Tarrant - Wright
McDonald - Durdin - Williams
Clarke- Ziebell - Gibson
Hrovat - Waite - Turner
Daw - Brown - Thomas

Goldstein - Dumont - Higgins

Macmillan, Simpkin, Swallow, Clarke

Are there two Clarke's or am I missing something? Mountford in for one of them. Hibberd for gibson. Gibbo has s**t skills and I'm over it.

Re. Daw, to be fair, delivery to him was hardly to his advantage all night, when he was 1 on 1 a couple of times ball was just chipped in front of him, or way over his head, playing in front, a lot of the time he gets illegally grabbed or pushed out of the contest, (as does Ben Brown,) and commentators say great bodywork by the defender there, or Daw completely misread that o_O, we desperately need quality I50 deliverer's, (miss you Boomer).

Boomer waned significantly with his delivery inside 50, especially last year. He missed a lot of targets he would have hit blindfolded a few years earlier.

Our delivery inside 50 last year:
Wells 74 I50s (4.0 avg) for 20 goal assists (1.1 avg)
Dumont 41 (3.4) & 13 (1.1)
Waite 27 (1.9) & 12 (0.9)
Wood 18 (2.3) & 6 (0.8)
Boomer 88 (3.8) & 15 (0.7)
Clarke 14 (2.3) & 4 (0.7)

Group A: 262 Inside 50s for 70 goal assists at 26.7% efficiency

Then here comes the problem...
Dal Santo 62 (2.8) & 10 (0.5)
Cunnington 40 (1.8) & 10 (0.5)
Gibson 84 (3.7) & 10 (0.4)
Ziebell 106 (4.6) & 8 (0.3)
Swallow 60 (2.7) & 6 (0.2)

Group B: 352 Inside 50s for 44 goal assists at 12.5% efficiency

We didn't have the quantity of I50s to be able to torch the ball as much as we did going inside 50. The guys who hacked the ball inside the forward 50 from a longer range had a very poor probability of us scoring, although the stats do not capture the goals created out of chaos balls in the forward 50 that eventually result in a goal.

Our delivery inside 50 from a shorter range was quite good, most of the players in Group A didn't blaze inside 50 a lot from a long way out.

If we can move the ball from the middle to half-forward and then have more shorter-range delivery to forwards I think we will fair a lot better than we did last year, despite the absence of Wells and Boomer. I think Higgins and Hrovat will similarly be relatively good at short range whilst more prominent roles for Dumont and Clarke and some opportunity for Simpkin and LT up further out from goal will I think see us be competitive if our ball movement is good and we are smarter about using the ball well.

I was surprised we retained Thompson and Hansen. Even with the amount of players who left the club, I think we could have afforded to drop those two as well. Esp Thompson who has been on the decline for too long. Holding on to one of them as backup (Ray style) makes sense. But i'll be bloody dissapointed if either of them gets more than 10 games, or if we ever have them both play at the same time. That said, IF Hansen is niggle free he has attributes that could be useful if he found form. I don't feel the same way about Scooter though.
Spud would have been a better retention.

Thats what I said earlier yesterday night. Glad someone else noticed that. People are being way too critical when the kicking to him was just plain awful....more times than him running under the ball. The service he got was awful whereas Waite had Higgins and Dumont etc kick to him. Mind you Waite also made some opportunities himself but the kicking to Daw didnt do him any favours.

Was Preuss that bad?

Just ran out of gas, I think.

Treated Mumford like a child's toy several times. Everywhere he went and every time he put pressure on the ball carrier, he was dangerous.

He was just spent.

The issue is we play the older players (Hansen/thompson etc) over the younger brigade and we look sluggish

As soon as brads in the same ol sh*t is going to continue to happen

Boomer waned significantly with his delivery inside 50, especially last year. He missed a lot of targets he would have hit blindfolded a few years earlier.

Our delivery inside 50 last year:
Wells 74 I50s (4.0 avg) for 20 goal assists (1.1 avg)
Dumont 41 (3.4) & 13 (1.1)
Waite 27 (1.9) & 12 (0.9)
Wood 18 (2.3) & 6 (0.8)
Boomer 88 (3.8) & 15 (0.7)
Clarke 14 (2.3) & 4 (0.7)

Group A: 262 Inside 50s for 70 goal assists at 26.7% efficiency

Then here comes the problem...
Dal Santo 62 (2.8) & 10 (0.5)
Cunnington 40 (1.8) & 10 (0.5)
Gibson 84 (3.7) & 10 (0.4)
Ziebell 106 (4.6) & 8 (0.3)
Swallow 60 (2.7) & 6 (0.2)

Group B: 352 Inside 50s for 44 goal assists at 12.5% efficiency

We didn't have the quantity of I50s to be able to torch the ball as much as we did going inside 50. The guys who hacked the ball inside the forward 50 from a longer range had a very poor probability of us scoring, although the stats do not capture the goals created out of chaos balls in the forward 50 that eventually result in a goal.

Our delivery inside 50 from a shorter range was quite good, most of the players in Group A didn't blaze inside 50 a lot from a long way out.

If we can move the ball from the middle to half-forward and then have more shorter-range delivery to forwards I think we will fair a lot better than we did last year, despite the absence of Wells and Boomer. I think Higgins and Hrovat will similarly be relatively good at short range whilst more prominent roles for Dumont and Clarke and some opportunity for Simpkin and LT up further out from goal will I think see us be competitive if our ball movement is good and we are smarter about using the ball well.

For all that we will revert to type...panic...and bomb it on their heads.

The issue is we play the older players (Hansen/thompson etc) over the younger brigade and we look sluggish

As soon as brads in the same ol sh*t is going to continue to happen

The dilemma will be how much the Olds v Youngs leak goals and what we are all prepared to tolerate....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back