Shield Game 4: South Australia vs Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you have to go back 12 years to find a loss to the Redbacks? :)
No, it wasn't that, it's more that losing when you bowl a side out for 55 tends to stick in the memory. :(

Mind you, we managed to lose to NSW when we bowled them out for 64 as well.

Whilst not against SA, it was in Adelaide.........so there's a SA connection to it. :(

No, it wasn't that, it's more that losing when you bowl a side out for 55 tends to stick in the memory. :(

Mind you, we managed to lose to NSW when we bowled them out for 64 as well.

Whilst not against SA, it was in Adelaide.........so there's a SA connection to it. :(

You'd think I'd remember Redbacks wins over the past 20 years or so, we've had so few of them. :)

Hard to pin this particular loss on the bowlers but SA bowled like they were defending 80 last night... opened the door (again) and this time TAS walked through. Had the bowlers taken a normal disciplined approach things could've got interesting and TAS would have potentially needed to bat through 100+ overs to get the win...

A shame for Manenti as his innings' were superb, probably one of the better bowlers too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand the night watchman. Unless the guy can actually bat, all you are doing is sacrificing a tail ender who could add a handy 20-odd at the end of the innings when the ball is old, and bowlers are tired.
gil-1962796.jpg

When does Gillespie start to feel some heat? Been there several years now; looks like the same old Redbacks.

Or does he get an exemption because of the 'good bloke' rule?

Its f*** embarrassing.

I've posted the same stuff on here, year in, year out, but here it comes again. I haven't spoken with Dizzy about this, but I have spoken with several SACA coaches over the years, and they all made the same point. The structure of the grade competition does not lend itself to producing quality 1st class players.

The talent is spread too thin, good players make big 100s and take bags of wickets, but then find the step up into the 1st class arena almost insurmountable. Players such as Lehmann get dropped for not making runs, and then make a big 100 in grade the following week and justifies selection as a form player. What can you do?

I heard a whisper that they are considering a relegation system next year with 6 teams at the top level. If they do this, it will be 25 years too late, but better later than never. Coaches have been screaming out for it for way too many years.

The grade competition has way too many one-day games, and last week saw one of my pet hates. Northern Districts made 135, Sturt passed them early on the 2nd day with 4 wickets down and a player on 53, so they call the game off. Why do they think it's better for a player's development to be drinking a beer in the clubrooms instead of turning the 50 into a 100. We deserve to be crap at the SACA. Insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result.

Two points:

1. I said, "unless the guy can bat". At least Dizzy has a proper technique. Too many times they send in a bunny who just gets out straight away. All that does is weaken the tail. I bet Manenti would have loved the support of an extra player in the tail, he may have reached his 100.

2. You pick one of the very few times it paid off, but that doesn't justify the tactic in my mind. The failure rate must be horrendous, but they keep doing it.

BTW, Dizzy was dropped after making that double ton and never played Tests again.

I've posted the same stuff on here, year in, year out, but here it comes again. I haven't spoken with Dizzy about this, but I have spoken with several SACA coaches over the years, and they all made the same point. The structure of the grade competition does not lend itself to producing quality 1st class players.

The talent is spread too thin, good players make big 100s and take bags of wickets, but then find the step up into the 1st class arena almost insurmountable. Players such as Lehmann get dropped for not making runs, and then make a big 100 in grade the following week and justifies selection as a form player. What can you do?

I heard a whisper that they are considering a relegation system next year with 6 teams at the top level. If they do this, it will be 25 years too late, but better later than never. Coaches have been screaming out for it for way too many years.

The grade competition has way too many one-day games, and last week saw one of my pet hates. Northern Districts made 135, Sturt passed them early on the 2nd day with 4 wickets down and a player on 53, so they call the game off. Why do they think it's better for a player's development to be drinking a beer in the clubrooms instead of turning the 50 into a 100. We deserve to be crap at the SACA. Insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result.
All valid points, no doubt about that.

I believe Melbourne and Sydney reduced their district teams years ago through amalgamations.....yet our pig headed clubs continue to oppose any such moves. Nothing will change whilst this thought process continues.

Who is a standout young bloke coming through the district system? We've seen Puckovski come through the Vics and WA seem to produce an excellent youngster every season (Teague Wylie looks great)...but all is bare here

However, on Gillespie, Nielson etc. They seem to be avoiding any scrutiny. Why cant our batsman (apart from Hunt) bat all day? Weatherald gets his usual half century and then throws his wicket away.... has to come down to the coaching methods?

I think you will find the game in question (ND v Sturt) didn't start until around 3.00pm due to wet conditions and when Sturt got the runs the game got called off.

When does Gillespie start to feel some heat? Been there several years now; looks like the same old Redbacks.

Or does he get an exemption because of the 'good bloke' rule?

Its f*** embarrassing.
Gillespie is a terrible coach who has now been exposed by the Redbacks. He's OK when he can have a heap of good coaches around him and then takes all the credit but this is not the case with SA. He was eventually found out in England with this as well. However, he gets protection from his mates in the commentary box - the old boys club saves him.

All valid points, no doubt about that.

I believe Melbourne and Sydney reduced their district teams years ago through amalgamations.....yet our pig headed clubs continue to oppose any such moves. Nothing will change whilst this thought process continues.

Who is a standout young bloke coming through the district system? We've seen Puckovski come through the Vics and WA seem to produce an excellent youngster every season (Teague Wylie looks great)...but all is bare here

However, on Gillespie, Nielson etc. They seem to be avoiding any scrutiny. Why cant our batsman (apart from Hunt) bat all day? Weatherald gets his usual half century and then throws his wicket away.... has to come down to the coaching methods?
There’s 18 teams in Melbourne. What clubs going to put their hand up and shut up shop to reduce the numbers.

Do they still have an odd number of teams? Imagine missing two weeks in a row due to a bye.

Gillespie is a terrible coach who has now been exposed by the Redbacks. He's OK when he can have a heap of good coaches around him and then takes all the credit but this is not the case with SA. He was eventually found out in England with this as well. However, he gets protection from his mates in the commentary box - the old boys club saves him.
You can tell from his interviews he’s very bland and doesn’t give much insight beyond cliches. Then you have Teflon Tim Nielsen - no idea how he still has a job to be honest. ‘High Performance manager’.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back