GAME DAY - 2019 Fed election Goals and Clangers thread ALP 7.10.52 LNP 5.3.33 FT

GoldenSky

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
If they publish those particular allegations it's a tacit conceding of the election.

You can bet if this material was about a Liberal PM and the media wasn't publishing it, all the twitter crazies and you guys would be talking about a "mainstream media conspiracy" in it not being aired.

You can bet if this material was about a Liberal PM and the media wasn't publishing it, all the twitter crazies and you guys would be talking about a "mainstream media conspiracy" in it not being aired.
That did actually happen with Barnaby Joyce.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Call me cynical, but the first home buyers deposit scheme (which ALP have said they will match)

Won’t be worth much because if you qualify for the scheme, the banks won’t touch you

Call me cynical, but the first home buyers deposit scheme (which ALP have said they will match)

Won’t be worth much because if you qualify for the scheme, the banks won’t touch you

I hate it, and not happy Labor is matching

I understand why they have to match the policy but I am hopeful it will be quietly shelved after the election if Labor wins government.

Seems like we're not learning from the mistakes that led up to the GFC.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I understand why they have to match the policy but I am hopeful it will be quietly shelved after the election if Labor wins government.

There are equity sharing schemes all over the place but its a weird one to be announcing with one week to go.

I think the ALP just wanted to win sunday

TimmeT

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The issue is though there is the possibility that Labor then could have backlash from younger voters in particular considering how they have been all attacking against the LNP about young people not being able to buy their first house and also how the Liberals haven't even bothered to help them do so by being unwilling to support their negative gearing policies. Agreeing to this has painted them into a difficult corner on this issue as it might endf up making them look like hypocrites.

The issue is though there is the possibility that Labor then could have backlash from younger voters in particular considering how they have been all attacking against the LNP about young people not being able to buy their first house and also how the Liberals haven't even bothered to help them do so by being unwilling to support their negative gearing policies. Agreeing to this has painted them into a difficult corner on this issue as it might endf up making them look like hypocrites.

As dumb as it is, noone loses votes in this country promising to make housing cheaper (even if it's completely stupid and won't work)

Hopefully this gets binned after the election once a mini budget review is done

They don't lose many votes from their base by promising to make housing cheaper. It certainly won't turn off the swinging voters which is the key thing.

It is a stupid policy for you and me but many others don't care to analyse it that much.

TimmeT

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They don't lose many votes from their base by promising to make housing cheaper. It certainly won't turn off the swinging voters which is the key thing.

It is a stupid policy for you and me but many others don't care to analyse it that much.
It is up there wuith grocery watch and that award for prince philip

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
The irony. So Scomo now tries to paint himself as the friend of the first home buyer with a deposit scheme.

Get lost Scott. This is twenty years too late. Your party inflated the bubble for years and now it's blown.

I also note Morrison has spoken about 'the promise of Australia'.

The old promise of Australia was: you work hard and you get a decent standard of living, secure work and a place to call your own.

The new Liberal promise of Australia:

You work hard in trying to get an apprenticeship (but they are significantly harder to get) or studying a degree.

You find that you are competing with hundreds of graduates for each job, even non-graduate jobs.

You work in a cafe but you don't get paid the award rate, but you're casual so you can't say anything. Quite possibly, you're not getting enough hours but the welfare system blames you and gives you peanuts if you are out of work.

Your wages are undercut by massive immigration of people wanting a better life and willing to accept low wages (not their fault, fair enough for them). Your wages are flatlining because it favours the government's rich mates.

You can't afford a deposit because you are low paid and your rent is very high, funding your landlord's next overseas trip. Your landlord takes their sweet time fixing the house but might kick you out of you don't scrub the skirting boards the right way. They don't have to give you a reason for kicking you out anyway. Your landlord is allowed to use the investment 'loss' to reduce his/her taxable income, so they might even be paying less income tax than you.

Bob down the street did very well for himself, good on him. He owns his big house outright. He is retired. He pays no income tax. Due to franking credits, he gets a cheque of $10,000 from the government, directly paid for by your PAYG tax. You can barely afford the cost of living, let alone the cost of building a big share portfolio.

Yeah, great promise. Our hard work in 2019 is so well rewarded isn't it?

Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Apologies if this is the wrong thread for it or if it’s already been addressed, but watching the North v Geelong game yesterday there was advertising on the fence that went something like:

“Canberra - Victorians just want their fair share” and was paid for by the Victorian government.

Aside from the fact that it seemed to clearly be political advertising paid for by a state government, can anyone tell me what that was referring to?

GST distribution?

PS - As a Canberran, the use of “Canberra” when talking about the Commonwealth government is stupid and I’m surprised another level of government would use it.

Nov 17, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday
Apologies if this is the wrong thread for it or if it’s already been addressed, but watching the North v Geelong game yesterday there was advertising on the fence that went something like:

“Canberra - Victorians just want their fair share” and was paid for by the Victorian government.

Aside from the fact that it seemed to clearly be political advertising paid for by a state government, can anyone tell me what that was referring to?

GST distribution?

PS - As a Canberran, the use of “Canberra” when talking about the Commonwealth government is stupid and I’m surprised another level of government would use it.

It’s a fairly shitty waste of tax dollars on a pointless ad campaign.

Think it‘s just about the federal Libs‘ health and education cuts. AFAIK Victoria isn’t disproportionately hit.

As for referring to ‘Canberra’ - the city doesn’t have much soul/profile outside of parliament. It’s an easy bogeyman.

GST distribution?

Its a pretty sad look paying for it on sports ground led ad screens. But its a few own goals against the Vic State government I guess.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide

GST distribution?

The name Canberra is a metronym for the federal government and public service, like Washington for the US government, Wall Street for the US share market, or Beijing for the Chinese government. I quite like metronyms in speech and writing actually.

Last edited:
Back