Game Day Game Day 2020 AFLW Rnd 5 - GWS v Richmond , Sat 7 Mar, Robertson Oval Wagga Wagga, 5.10pm Melb time

mad_tiggy911

🏆 🏆 🏆
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Whoever posted sack Tom Hunter during the first match was spot on. You could see from the first 5 mins our women had no idea and that they were shite players apart from a few.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Was down the pub with a mate to watch the game ended up watching the blues and Saints as well.
Two things
We have too many lightly built players that can’t get space
We run in straight lines with the ball going forward trying to use speed, theres no switching or trying to make the ground bigger to spread the def. Maybe a kick into the corridor but we try and go through the def and we only have one who can bounce the ball on the run so it just ends up looking like bush footy. Kick to the tallest player and hope for a mark.
We don’t look like we know how to footy and that is the coaching and recruiting.
Last year Grace Egan played from the bench in our vflw now she’s playing great for Carlton.
Thats a worry.
Too many lightly built , not sure that would be my observation , how many had you had

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
yeah your spot on Cdog71, bush footy it is
we're into game 5 with 3 games to go, we have 3/4's of the team averaging 4-6 possies per game, marks and tackles no better
with Grace Egan I believe in hindsight that we let her slip, should've snapped her up before 4 or 5 players that we prelisted
she's playing really good footy, seen her 3 times now and would be in our top 3-4 players based on form
could be Carltons coaching or she has really stepped up, one or the other
the Blues did bid pick 13, so must of seen something that we didn't
based on what we have put up, we will not get close to the last 3 teams we play
so it's hello pick 1, hopefully pick 2 as well

She has ability that our recruiters didn’t value which is the worry , she would clearly be our second best player

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
She has ability that our recruiters didn’t value which is the worry , she would clearly be our second best player

yeah we recruited Brancatisano and Burchell from other clubs and were an unknow quality (and were average in the VFLW last year)
then we upgraded Wakefield, Miller, Edmonds, Stahl, Makur-Chuot, Campbell, Seymour, Jacques which finished our quota from our VFLW side
Woodward, Dempsey, Bailey, Egan were subject to a bidding process that took place with existing AFLW clubs before the draft
anyone of Wakefield, Miller, Edmonds, Stahl, Makur-Chuot, could have been picked after Egan I feel, as only Campbell was a pure midfielder
no point having Wakefield, Bernardi, Stahl, Frederick, when the ball rarely gets to the forward line
in defence Monahan has been superb, Miller and Makur-Chuot have been stinking it up, Whitford, Sansonetti and Seymour are very young with no experience
in our midfield Conti's been a star, Campbell, Brennan have been serviceable and Jacques has some potential
Brancatisano was supposed to be "a pacey and creative midfielder", haven't see anything like this
Burchell was supposed to be "known for her speed and two-way running", again nothing
Woodward, Baily and Tesoriero, why did we bother
our drafted players Molan, Wood, McClelland, Butler, Saxon-Jones, Horne, Fitzgerald, Ross, Harley have either had low output or minimal impact or been injured
ultimately it spells out a bad state of affairs

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
yeah we recruited Brancatisano and Burchell from other clubs and were an unknow quality
then we upgraded Wakefield, Miller, Edmonds, Stahl, Makur-Chuot, Campbell, Seymour which fished our quota from our VFLW side
Woodward, Dempsey, Bailey, Egan were subject to a bidding process that took place with existing AFLW clubs before the draft
anyone of Wakefield, Miller, Edmonds, Stahl, Makur-Chuot, could have been picked after Egan I feel, as only Campbell was a pure midfielder
Miller Seymour Makur Edmonds are all battlers that I doubt will ever step up to AFLW

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Miller Seymour Makur Edmonds are all battlers that I doubt will ever step up to AFLW

yeah agree
big problem was we recruited Conti, Campbell, Brennan, Jacques, Molan, Wood, Brancatisano, Burchell, Woodward, Dempsey, as our midfield group
other than the first 3 we are desperately low on quality skilled and quick midfielders, our depth is non existent
good forward line, after our top3 not good midfield, bad backline due to many factors (recruiting, belief in our 2019 VFLW season etc)

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I've watched every single game and been to both home matches with my family. I get that other clubs are more advanced in their programs but look at the Gold Coast, St kilda etc, they get beaten but they're not getting embarrassed either. They have a system in place. 21 scoring shots to 6 yesterday, it was a mauling.
Cheers however I still believe it’s talent based , we went for park footballers that we believed would W contested ball whereas the other newbs went for lithe agile players that continue to run rings around us whilst we Re still changing our minds. It’s so obvious how slow we are in every way

the players that played together in last years (2019) VFLW is:
Akec Makur Chuot, Ella Wood, Phoebe Monahan, Grace Campbell, Tayla Stahl, Laura Bailey, Maddy Brancatisano, Kate Dempsey, Courtney Wakefield, Sabrina Frederick, Hannah Burchell, Gabby Seymour, Monique Conti, Katie Brennan, Alice Edmonds, Rebecca Miller, Alana Woodward,
Lauren Tesoriero, Emma Horne, Kodi Jacques.

And they were a servicable VFLW side, too.

Lol, bit like a time machine in here. We suck. Everyone can agree on that. Is it the coach? Is it the recruiters? Maybe it's both?

The season is painfully short. The amount of game time our Tigers have played equals approx. 3 and a quarter men's games. I reckon I've seen some of our premiership players stink it up for 3 or 4 games in a row, without doing anything redeeming, so I'm prepared to give most of the players more time.

But, there's been a couple of passages that make me think a few of our players don't know what their doing and they haven't been taught. Very easily conceded goals, in particular. FFS, when the ball is bouncing into an open goal and rolls in front of a defender, you'd hope they lay the slipper into it. Or dive on it. Or perhaps even pick the bloody thing up and try to get it to a teammate. Anything, other than watch it roll along at your toe...

IMO, there's some clear deficiencies in a our bottom, say, 6 players and it's not their skill or athleticism that really concerns me. It's lack of just plain, basic game sense that I find really worrying.

On the positive side of the ledger, it was Sabs best game for the club, by some distance. It makes a real difference when she takes those contested marks.

Lol, bit like a time machine in here. We suck. Everyone can agree on that. Is it the coach? Is it the recruiters? Maybe it's both?

The season is painfully short. The amount of game time our Tigers have played equals approx. 3 and a quarter men's games. I reckon I've seen some of our premiership players stink it up for 3 or 4 games in a row, without doing anything redeeming, so I'm prepared to give most of the players more time.

But, there's been a couple of passages that make me think a few of our players don't know what their doing and they haven't been taught. Very easily conceded goals, in particular. FFS, when the ball is bouncing into an open goal and rolls in front of a defender, you'd hope they lay the slipper into it. Or dive on it. Or perhaps even pick the bloody thing up and try to get it to a teammate. Anything, other than watch it roll along at your toe...

IMO, there's some clear deficiencies in a our bottom, say, 6 players and it's not their skill or athleticism that really concerns me. It's lack of just plain, basic game sense that I find really worrying.

On the positive side of the ledger, it was Sabs best game for the club, by some distance. It makes a real difference when she takes those contested marks.

Embolded
- This is my concern too. We are so off other Clubs in terms of ball security, numbers at the contest, possession chains and time in the F50. There seems a real footy disconnect running through the team. Sadly I haven't got to a game, even up at the Goldy, but I would be interested to hear how much talk exists on the field. I remember when our AFL side was stinking, the chat was almost non-existent, mute like. Now you can even hear it, even on the TV. I'm don't mean back slapping bum tapping chat, I'm talking demanding it by name, instructions between each other, hot, give it now, go inside, all the little things that make footy teams click. Are we loud or are we mute?

Agree with you on Sabs, her best game, but it seemed wasted on the day. This needs to be her base line every game, a woman of her size and quality.

I liked Monahan on the ball - alot! Realise we could leak scores, but it would be worth doing it with Brennan and Wakefield back. Let's get a bunch of repeat I50 entries and play at least half of the footy in our front 50. If opposition get a few out the back, ah well, does it really matter now. Let's run it inside 50 for a while and get some confidence that way. We'll learn more from possession right now than chasing tail!

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Embolded - This is my concern too. We are so off other Clubs in terms of ball security, numbers at the contest, possession chains and time in the F50. There seems a real footy disconnect running through the team. Sadly I haven't got to a game, even up at the Goldy, but I would be interested to hear how much talk exists on the field. I remember when our AFL side was stinking, the chat was almost non-existent, mute like. Now you can even hear it, even on the TV. I'm don't mean back slapping bum tapping chat, I'm talking demanding it by name, instructions between each other, hot, give it now, go inside, all the little things that make footy teams click. Are we loud or are we mute?

Agree with you on Sabs, her best game, but it seemed wasted on the day. This needs to be her base line every game, a woman of her size and quality.

I liked Monahan on the ball - alot! Realise we could leak scores, but it would be worth doing it with Brennan and Wakefield back. Let's get a bunch of repeat I50 entries and play at least half of the footy in our front 50. If opposition get a few out the back, ah well, does it really matter now. Let's run it inside 50 for a while and get some confidence that way. We'll learn more from possession right now than chasing tail!

I liked Monahan on the ball - a lot!
yes this, as only Conti and Monahan seem to be able to get the ball and know what to do with it, god knows Conti needs help badly
Conti, Monahan and Campbell in the centre at least might give us a 50/50 chance to go I50
we can't go any worse, surely, maybe even start Brennan on the half back line and let her marshal the troops down there
might as well mix it up in the last 3 games, got nothing to lose
We'll learn more from possession right now than chasing tail!
true, chasing tail seems like it's our one wood ATM and even then majority of our players haven't got the leg speed to put on any pressure

I liked Monahan on the ball - a lot!
yes this, as only Conti and Monahan seem to be able to get the ball and know what to do with it, god knows Conti needs help badly
Conti, Monahan and Campbell in the centre at least might give us a 50/50 chance to go I50
we can't go any worse, surely, maybe even start Brennan on the half back line and let her marshal the troops down there
might as well mix it up in the last 3 games, got nothing to lose
We'll learn more from possession right now than chasing tail!
true, chasing tail seems like it's our one wood ATM and even then majority of our players haven't got the leg speed to put on any pressure

Yep, be interesting to see whether the team get anywhere near this or the sniff of a win against the Ain'ts makes Tom hang tough :rolleyes: I'd get it, but still think it would be wrong way to go at this juncture.

Thought of KB at CHB, but I'm not sure we have enough fire-power forward of centre. Practice winning the ball back forward of centre - sound familiar?

First thing I’d do is kb to chb , makes sense , she’s too outside to be a decent midfielder , reckon she could make a decent fist of HB ad by gee we need some class back there

I like it.

Might be getting too cute, but I'd love to see KB setting up like an old timey ruck - essentially playing as the spare defender - especially after the other team has multiple scoring shots in a row. Her ball-winning and disposal efficiency would be pretty handy to stabilise the situations that are currently turning to custard.

Back