Game Day: NAB Cup round 1 v Carlton/Port

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Walker is a better kick than Tippett. Kurt has this knack for kicking the tough ones and missing easy ones. I'd much rather have Walker taking the shots.

That said, Walker's work ethic is nowhere near as good. He goes missing way too often.

Just on Reilly in the Carlton game, i think he did well when he was 1v1 in marking contests and had space. No space = terrible disposal a few too many times from a senior player but ill let it slide.

The only real worry with him down there are the types of players he will need to play on. He isnt quick, by foot or with his head. He was too often let to the ball with 3-4 steps between him and his opponent. He has no chance to contest the mark. If he was able to keep up or the delivery was bad he did well. But without that he was shown out way too many times.

I'd be very careful suggesting that one of the greatest teams of all time doesn't have a horses for courses approach.

By the way, do you think Hawthorn had it with Buddy, especially early in his career?

Who at Geelong gets special treatment?

Buddy chases harder than almost any player in the league. I think he is the ultimate team player.. He certainly doesn't have 'Richo' body language.. And yes he does have shots from ridiculous angles, but he kicks them more often than not....

Alot of people have forgotten I think, that Walker is still only 21 his carrer is still in it's infancy and he will improve, key forwards always take longer to develop than say mids or defenders. The problem is that because he has so much raw talent and our fan base hypes him up so much, there is an unfair expectation that he will play like a player with alot more experience than he currantly has.

Having said that, it's clear he is lacking in certain areas, and I'm sure Sando will address those with him, but ffs give the kid a break.

On Reilly, he seems to get a pass mark but does anyone know how many stats he got against Port? I believe it was only 3. He also had the chance to nail the win with a goal but fluffed it.

On Reilly, he seems to get a pass mark but does anyone know how many stats he got against Port? I believe it was only 3. He also had the chance to nail the win with a goal but fluffed it.

He only needed to nail the win with a score! Which he did. ;)

He was playing a different role against Port than he did against Carlton. He was the loose man in defence blocking up space in the Port forward 50. There was some subtle differences in the set up between the two games.

Who at Geelong gets special treatment?

Buddy chases harder than almost any player in the league. I think he is the ultimate team player.. He certainly doesn't have 'Richo' body language.. And yes he does have shots from ridiculous angles, but he kicks them more often than not....

How did he get to the point where he felt like he could take those shots? That's not a coincidence. Hawthorn were very patient with Franklin in 05, 06 and 07 despite the fact he had notable deficiencies in his game in those seasons.

Do you remember the first game Bickley coached, the Showdown last year? In the first quarter, Tex had the ball on the South-eastern boundary, went for a ridiculous swinging screw punt (from memory) and kicked it into Semaphore Beach.

What did Bicks do? Other than perhaps a quite message from the runner - absolutely nothing. Tex went on the rip Port apart and played one of his best games of the year. That same tex who tried that ridiculous shot on goal was the one who went on to have a blinder.

That kind of act under you know who would have earned him another 4 weeks at Norwood.

I know a few pundits who thought McLeod was lazy.

Was he?

Who? I remember watching countless games of McLeod coming off dry reaching due to the amount of work he put in.

How did he get to the point where he felt like he could take those shots? That's not a coincidence. Hawthorn were very patient with Franklin in 05, 06 and 07 despite the fact he had notable deficiencies in his game in those seasons.

Do you remember the first game Bickley coached, the Showdown last year? In the first quarter, Tex had the ball on the South-eastern boundary, went for a ridiculous swinging screw punt (from memory) and kicked it into Semaphore Beach.

What did Bicks do? Other than perhaps a quite message from the runner - absolutely nothing. Tex went on the rip Port apart and played one of his best games of the year. That same tex who tried that ridiculous shot on goal was the one who went on to have a blinder.

That kind of act under you know who would have earned him another 4 weeks at Norwood.

Not talking about screw punts, but effort.

Alot of people have forgotten I think, that Walker is still only 21 his carrer is still in it's infancy and he will improve, key forwards always take longer to develop than say mids or defenders. The problem is that because he has so much raw talent and our fan base hypes him up so much, there is an unfair expectation that he will play like a player with alot more experience than he currantly has.

Having said that, it's clear he is lacking in certain areas, and I'm sure Sando will address those with him, but ffs give the kid a break.
Effort is a mind set, never too early to start, just ask Mr Sloane. He's 21 and WILL get better, but if he doesn't lift the work rate he's always going to be lazy and talented. He now has the endurance to do it.....so do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Walker getting out-muscled by Phillips, I need to watch it again, but my impression at the ground was that he tried to be clever by bumping the guy off the ball at the right moment with the intention of getting a free shot on goal, but just timed it wrong, or Phillips moved in a way he didn't expect, and so he was then off-balance.

It didn't strike me as soft, but rather an attempted "party trick" type of play that didn't come off. If he'd timed it right we would have been lauding him for his footy smarts as he turned a contested situation into an uncontested shot on goal.

What was (or at least appeared) horribly soft was his complete lack of willingness to chase midway though the Carlton match. The TV broadcast doesn't show it (as he disappears off the screen almost immediately) but he honestly ran slower than I could walk while Carlton's defence slowly, without any pressure, was able to set up a counterpunch. I'm willing to give Walker the benefit of the doubt that perhaps he was suffering from Gastro or something because he honestly looked like he was about to die on the field. It didn't look like his usual "not hard enough" chase, but rather a man who couldn't go any more - which would be fair enough if it wasn't less than 15 minutes into the first game of the season.

As I said Stab, a virus, in oppressive conditions.... Can you blame anyone for going at 70 percent?

Why would we want to do anymore than whats required in February?

Why would anybody expect a full tilt hit out? Why would anyone WANT it?

Criticism of Walker is very heavy-handed, but fairly normal. Geelong fans said similar things about Tom Hawkins until late last year. His career stats are (even with his 2 year headstart) about the same as Walker's. A lot less goals though.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=2364&tid2=10&pid2=1759&type=A&fid1=C&fid2=C

Let him play to his many strengths, which it seems to me do not include busting packs.

From what I saw he looked completely off balance when Phillips buffeted into him. But yeah I'm not too worried. It was our very first real hit out and a quarter of the team had been suffering from gastro so who knows how they were feeling on the day.

And with thunderstorms forecast for next weekend it doesn't look as if we'll get to see a proper hitout until the Collingwood game which for mine will be the true test for Sando.

EDIT: I think people are being harsh on his pack busting. In all the pack situations he was involved in the ball hit the deck and as most of you have admitted he isn't a natural pack mark so you can't expect him to just start clunking them out of the blue.

i didnt think walkers chasing and effort was too bad. there were a couple of times he sprinted chasing his opponent for 50-70 metres. he looked absolutely buggered after that so i reckon he wasnt quite 100%. lets not forget he also kicked a supergoal plus the goal that won us the match against carlton. chasing will never be a strength but he is working on it and will become serviceable at it.

At about 8 minutes into the Carlton game, Walker busts his ass and chases one of the Carlton guys (Yarran?) for about 60 metres, and actually ate into his lead.

I think the comments on his effort are being ridiculously overstated.

I'll have a look at this again, but I remember feeling that he didn't try as hard in the first game (Carlton) as he did against Port (actually thought our intensity as a whole lifted for the second game). Thought we played the first game far more open and uncontested (ie. Carlton cleared it easily and weren't opposed until they got to about CHF). Walker did not seem to put in a second/third effort on most occasions, although I do remember him attempting to chase down someone once in the match. But this is no different to normal that I can see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back